Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 15:00   #46

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Anchored Too Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Yes, thanks. I thought your post, # 38, was an indirect, and kind, response to my question posed in post 33.

Thanks for that. All sorted.

Cheers.
Paul.
I hope the situation works itself out, frankly. That's a lot of nice boat to be at risk. Take care, Paul.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:07   #47

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

DMF Sailing:

I'm always at a loss as to how someone can, in good conscience, drop a hook and immediately leave the boat. Especially if there's another boat within 200m of them.
However, it happens so often, I'm sure I'm the odd man out. No worries, I'm accustomed to standing on the outside looking in. I'm comfortable there; it's less crowded!

Take care.
Paul.
Old 24-04-2021, 15:08   #48

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
UPDATE: Anchored Too Close

The other boat owner is aware, has the video OP sent, and says they are on the boat.

In case people see this.

(that was the right Instagram)
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 15:09   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
... Pulling my anchor is not an option at this moment....

Why is it physically impossible to move by kedging? In post 10 you said it was slack tide and calm. It was not. Therefore, you have not done all you could reasonably do to avoid damamge. Stand-on is only a valid defense when time and circumstance did not allow action. But you've told us you did have time and calm weather.
Old 24-04-2021, 15:37   #50

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well... I was but now I'm a CF member so I guess not..
Such a waste of time to discuss something that can be fixed in a couple minutes by simply moving away.

Also, I have never heard of the idea of touching someone else's boat or moving their anchor just because they don't know how to anchor at a proper distance.

Best just to get away from them.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 17:19   #51

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
The boat is very nice and well put together Alberg 37. Heavy and deep draft. The Alberg drifted to inside 10’ before I decided to act. Got in dinghy, didn’t have to start motor and pulled along side the Alberg. Since the current is running I thought I could pull anchor and let boat drift back and reset. Pulled in about 40 ft of chain, it’s dead low now, and the boat is more comfortably away. The wind is against the current so the boat is a little up on its rode. There is a mechanical windlass which would have helped break the anchor but there is no handle to be found. I’m in my 70’s now so struggling to pull that anchor is a challenge. Tomorrow could really suck if they don’t return. Not to over state conditions tomorrow, wind from SE steady high teens with gusts to 35. Bad enough I have to worry about my own boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’m pretty sure that would put the OPs boat on top of the other boat.

Going by the above quote, if he pulled in about 40 ft of the alberg's chain which improved the separation then letting out some more of his own rode would have surely achieved a similar result, no?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:11   #52
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Going by the above quote, if he pulled in about 40 ft of the alberg's chain which improved the separation then letting out some more of his own rode would have surely achieved a similar result, no?

Sure, until the tide changed.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:48   #53

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

[QUOTE=Tar34;3393871... I’m taking care of mechanical issues and not in a position to pull up anchor. ...[/QUOTE]

If a sailboat, you should be able to raise anchor and move to a better position.
Old 24-04-2021, 20:00   #54

People should give the OP a break, he’s in his 70’s, solo, motor out of action in a wind against tide situation in a river.
Alan Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 20:03   #55

I agree with Thinwater, just row out a second anchor ahead and at a slight angle to the first when the tide is nearly slack. Take it 20ft+ farther than where your current anchor sits. Take in on the new one and it will move you forward and a bit to the side.

Problem solved and you are more securely anchored for any storm.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 20:12   #56

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brookes View Post
People should give the OP a break, he’s in his 70’s, solo, motor out of action in a wind against tide situation in a river.
I would give the OP a break. Probably he is a nice guy and needs a friend.

But unfortunately since he is solo, has been unable to get his motor fixed, and cannot shift his anchor if needed, he is a liability in an anchorage.

I only hope that when I am in that state I am savvy enough to know when it's time to to take the needed action, which may be to get out of boat ownership.

Owning a boat carries with it some responsibility. The owner of the Alberg has his responsibility, maybe he is meeting it. The OP also has his.
Old 24-04-2021, 20:18   #57

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sure, until the tide changed.

Yep, and having reduced the neighbours scope by 40 ft, with the tide change it puts the neighbour how much closer than before?
I think I would rather manage the distance manipulation from my own boat than having to venture onto someone else's multiple times.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 22:07   #58

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Such a waste of time to discuss something that can be fixed in a couple minutes by simply moving away.

Also, I have never heard of the idea of touching someone else's boat or moving their anchor just because they don't know how to anchor at a proper distance.

Best just to get away from them.
If he is unable to move his anchor, for whatever reason, what solution do you suggest?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 22:27   #59

Happy ending. All is secure, the Alden crew are back in command, gracious and thankful. As for myself, I did what I had to do to secure both vessels. All options and criticisms tendered humbly accepted and acknowledged. Keep it simple.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 03:22   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchored Too Close

Quote:
Happy ending. All is secure, the Alden crew are back in command, gracious and thankful. As for myself, I did what I had to do to secure both vessels. All options and criticisms tendered humbly accepted and acknowledged. Keep it simple.
Good to hear mate..
Don't let the negative buggas get you down..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor