Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2021, 19:46   #1

Anchored Too Close

I’m currently anchored in a tidal river. I have been visiting for several weeks. There is strong tidal current with exposure and fetch from the south, south east. Gales are predicted tomorrow from the southeast. I’m taking care of mechanical issues and not in a position to pull up anchor. I’m anchored in 10 -14 ft water with approximately 80’ of chain set. From the pier I noticed another boat anchor very close to me. I returned to my boat and realized depending on the scope set by this new arrival we were going to have issues at the turn of tide. Indeed my concern was not unwarranted. The crew of this boat had left for shore before my return ( time now 22:34) and they have not returned as yet. The bow of there boat is now less than 15 feet off my starboard quarter. It’s calm right now and still hopeful for this boats crew to return. What are my options?
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 20:13   #2

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: Anchored Too Close

Can you dinghy over to their boat and see if any of the owner’s personal contact is near the helm or registration? You can then get in touch with him* and say your vessel is disabled and explain the situation.

If you can’t find any contact info, maybe you can leave yours and ask him* to call you once he* returns rather than be up all night waiting for him* to return.

Good luck.

*could be replaced with she/her
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 20:28   #3

First thing in the morning let out a little more scope before they return, make it obvious, then chat them to move. Is the gale expected to blow while the yachts are laying the same way?
Alan Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 21:08   #4

The boat is very nice and well put together Alberg 37. Heavy and deep draft. The Alberg drifted to inside 10’ before I decided to act. Got in dinghy, didn’t have to start motor and pulled along side the Alberg. Since the current is running I thought I could pull anchor and let boat drift back and reset. Pulled in about 40 ft of chain, it’s dead low now, and the boat is more comfortably away. The wind is against the current so the boat is a little up on its rode. There is a mechanical windlass which would have helped break the anchor but there is no handle to be found. I’m in my 70’s now so struggling to pull that anchor is a challenge. Tomorrow could really suck if they don’t return. Not to over state conditions tomorrow, wind from SE steady high teens with gusts to 35. Bad enough I have to worry about my own boat.
Old 23-04-2021, 21:36   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Do you have a second anchor? I am not sure I have the picture correct but it sounds to me like you may have to set a second anchor on your own boat. Set out what ever fenders you have. With a boat as nicely set up as the Alberg, you'd think they'd know better. Here is the link (I was able to make it work for you.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3ab8rpm40..._7013.jpg?dl=0
Maybe someone here will know "Sea Yawl" and give them a call!

edit: Ok I think I see more clearly now. While I am very reticent to touch anyone else's boat unless it is an emergency, you may end up with one if things are extreme, and by the time they get that way you may not be able to safely act on it. If it were me I'd consider an anchor for THEIR starboard quarter to keep it from swinging into you. I'd have it ready to go in case they don't show up.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 00:47   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

I know you are trying to be a good Samaritan, but you are taking a lot of risk moving someone's anchor while their boat is in no distress without permission. Moving your boat would be more appropriate, even if you had to use the dinghy.
Old 24-04-2021, 00:54   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I know you are trying to be a good Samaritan, but you are taking a lot of risk moving someone's anchor while their boat is in no distress without permission. Moving your boat would be more appropriate, even if you had to use the dinghy.
Hi, I tend to agree with this sentiment, consider letting out a few more metres of your rode to slightly increase the distance between you.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 01:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
The boat is very nice and well put together Alberg 37. Heavy and deep draft. The Alberg drifted to inside 10’ before I decided to act. Got in dinghy, didn’t have to start motor and pulled along side the Alberg. Since the current is running I thought I could pull anchor and let boat drift back and reset. Pulled in about 40 ft of chain, it’s dead low now, and the boat is more comfortably away. The wind is against the current so the boat is a little up on its rode. There is a mechanical windlass which would have helped break the anchor but there is no handle to be found. I’m in my 70’s now so struggling to pull that anchor is a challenge. Tomorrow could really suck if they don’t return. Not to over state conditions tomorrow, wind from SE steady high teens with gusts to 35. Bad enough I have to worry about my own boat.
I feel your pain, as usual they consider you to be on the best spot so they anchor nearby, but it’s outrageous to they leave their boat without talking to you with a gale imminent. Hang in old mate!
Alan Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 02:16   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If the other boat is astern of you (on the quarter) why not let out more scope on his boat, opening up the gap. Or conversely, shorten up on yours a bit... you have >7:1 approximately, and a bit less won't kill your holding.

I'd be VERY wary of moving his anchor. If she came to grief you would have some responsibility to consider.

Perhaps I have the wrong picture of the situation, not understanding the wind, tidal current and relative positions exactly, but you should be able to manage it with some consideration. Lousy thing to lay upon you. You have a right to be miffed!

Jim
Old 24-04-2021, 03:28   #10

05:50. It’s almost high tide and calm. The Alberg is ahead of me but within my circle of swing as the tide changes and current reverses. As I said in the OP, I am not in a position to move with my engine but not without options, all limited in effect. Current and tide make setting a second anchor before the change of tide dubious a best. It is certainly an option after the change but the risk of entanglement during subsequent tide changes if they do not return is a given. Remember, I am singlehanded. The out going current is predicted at 2.2kts, with a an increasing SE wind directly opposed to it. Plan is to stand by and see what develops. As for the Alberg, it is he who came after and anchored too close, ignoring the forecast and leaving the boat unattended. My intention was and is to act before conditions make it impossible to save my boat from damage if not his. If that means getting aboard the Alberg, so be it. That’s the way I see it.
Old 24-04-2021, 03:30   #11

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, I tend to agree with this sentiment, consider letting out a few more metres of your rode to slightly increase the distance between you.

I’m pretty sure that would put the OPs boat on top of the other boat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 03:34   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’m pretty sure that would put the OPs boat on top of the other boat.
Then take in a few meters!
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 04:06   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

You went aboard the other boat???

That’s a huge no no.

You could have:

1) shrank your circle by pulling in enough rode so you can’t bump the other boat.

2) weighed your anchor, drifted back, then dropped it in a spot where you aren’t going to tangle with them. This is what I’d do with no engine. You have reversing current and changing winds to make this easy.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 05:58   #14

You went aboard the other boat???

Perhaps I’m not being clear. The Alden anchored on top of me while I was ashore. I’m not trying to be a dick and stand at all costs on principal. 60 years on the water has taught me a few lessons. I do what is necessary to avoid calamity. I am a RAM vessel at the moment within certain parameters. Pulling my anchor is not an option at this moment. There is a saying, morality ends at my doorstep. He is the burdened vessel. I am on station keeping watch. 08:50. Wind against the current,
The Alden is already sailing on its anchor several boat lengths side to side.
Old 24-04-2021, 06:20   #15

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/en4pcwq0gn..._7017.MOV?dl=0

Tags
anchor