Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 06:39   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Anchored Too Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
I’m currently anchored in a tidal river. I have been visiting for several weeks.

[...]
I’m taking care of mechanical issues and not in a position to pull up anchor.

[...]
From the pier I noticed [...]

It is a curious situation for a sailor to be in, to be ashore while the boat is at anchor for several weeks, unable to move under either motor or sail.

Quote:
What are my options?
  • Your boat has sails, right? Sail somewhere else and anchor there utilizing the skills you have accumulated in 60 years on the water.
  • reduce scope
  • increase scope, tying on additional rode if necessary
  • deploy fenders
  • set another anchor and release the bower leaving the rode on a buoy for eventual retrieval (so that you can drift a rode-length away in a controlled fashion)
  • take photos and hope they have good insurance
  • call Sea Tow and have them tow you to a slip somewhere where repairs can be made
  • use your dinghy to move your boat (if relative sizes and power permit)
  • call in a favor and have a friend tow you somewhere
  • get someone nearby to give you a tow. People are helpful
Good luck, let us know how it turns out
Old 24-04-2021, 06:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchored Too Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It is a curious situation for a sailor to be in, to be ashore while the boat is at anchor for several weeks, unable to move under either motor or sail.

• Your boat has sails, right? Sail somewhere else and anchor there utilizing the skills you have accumulated in 60 years on the water.
  • reduce scope
  • increase scope, tying on additional rode if necessary
  • deploy fenders
  • set another anchor and release the bower leaving the rode on a buoy for eventual retrieval (so that you can drift a rode-length away in a controlled fashion)
  • take photos and hope they have good insurance
  • call Sea Tow and have them tow you to a slip somewhere where repairs can be made
  • use your dinghy to move your boat (if relative sizes and power permit)
  • call in a favor and have a friend tow you somewhere
  • get someone nearby to give you a tow. People are helpful
Good luck, let us know how it turns out
Or.. Contact the local authorities and inform them of your situation and restricted ability to safely reposition and ask their advice and possible assistance to resolve the situation as any action by you could leave you liable.
There must be someone responsible for safety in those waters considering the amount of complaints on here about the local authorities down the Eastern seaboard.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 06:52   #18

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Call them
Mobile number: 614-580-6984 (listed on Marine Traffic)

Be sure it is the right boat first (picture matches).

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...essel:SEA_YAWL
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:09   #19

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Pull in some rode as needed. Then let it out when the gale hits as your boats should be lined up.
You have stated that your in no shape to move their anchor so don't try.
Old 24-04-2021, 07:11   #20

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or.. Contact the local authorities and inform them of your situation and restricted ability to safely reposition and ask their advice and possible assistance to resolve the situation as any action by you could leave you liable.
There must be someone responsible for safety in those waters considering the amount of complaints on here about the local authorities down the Eastern seaboard.
This.

The Alberg is a hazard as it is currently anchored and abandoned. If the authorities cannot help with the Alberg, then you can ask for assistance in moving your disabled vessel out of harm's way.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:27   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I am not sure where you are but it looks an awful lot like La Paz Mogote. In any case there is a lot of wind vs tide there and boats will dance and swing. Further the holding isn't always good. In any case even though you were there first, if the other other owner does not show up or refuses to move his boat you must move yours if you are concerned about the situation. The video shows the two to be close so your worry seems justified. I don't see a gale approaching but there are usual and regular winds patterns there which vary from N during the day to S-SW during the night.

In my view you have no choice but to re anchor your boat.

I sense that you would like to have your boat safe without having to stay aboard yourself, but this anchorage is popular with transient yachts, all of whom will go ashore as soon as they get there. You have to look out for your own boat, but moving the other boat could get you into a legal problem.

If you are unable to move your boat yourself you may need to get help from shore. La Paz is full of permanent boaters, most of whom can see your situation from the nearby marinas and restaurants. Go ashore or use the morning net to ask for some help. You can use the weather conditions to facilitate your move. Best done when the tide or wind permits a strong pull in the correct direction so your anchor will set.

Good Luck.
Old 24-04-2021, 07:32   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
This.

The Alberg is a hazard as it is currently anchored and abandoned. If the authorities cannot help with the Alberg, then you can ask for assistance in moving your disabled vessel out of harm's way.
How do you come up with this boat is "abandoned"? Not being onboard does not mean you abandoned the boat. It is clearly a tricky area with lots of changing current and potential changing weather. No need to attribute some huge negative intent to the owner.

It looks like there is plenty of room to adjust the OPs anchor length and possible position.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:51   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am not sure where you are but it looks an awful lot like La Paz Mogote.
Charleston, not La Paz
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:42   #24

The whole matter proves once again, that giving a boat with a pun as name is unlucky. Someone must have been terribly proud to come up with "Sea Yaw'l" for the yawl.

They better should have spent the effort in anchoring instead of finding a stupid name and patting each others back at how clever they are.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:54   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Assuming the OP has another anchor, simply kedge forward. Why is this not obvious? It's easier than sailing off. Just row a second anchor forward (or some other direction), pull up, and reset the primary. Not what you wanted to do, but obvious, seamanlike, practical, and quite easy. Easier than all this hand rigging and probably faster than typing the forum entries.

If you came on my boat and reset my anchor I would be dumbstruck. What if the anchor had not reset? What about the gale? You'd need to explain to me why it made more sense to reset my anchor than to kedge your boat away (which does not involve a drifting boat with no anchor set). Yes, I should have anchored farther away, but you had the option of moving and anything that happens if you reset my anchor is 100% on you. I doubt your insurance would help you, since it's not your boat and the action was intentional and unnecessary.

Kedging is an underused option. We don't think of it.
Old 24-04-2021, 09:02   #26

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
The owner of the boat is not aware of the situation. You are aware and you need to move your boat.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 09:04   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, that is the question, do you have other anchors and rode available?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 09:32   #28

Bite my tongue! I asked for it. Advice I mean. All the options offered have been applied many times over the years. Single handing requires it. Truth be told, a neglected foul bottom and damaged folding prop is an encumbrance to be sure. Sailing off the anchor or pulling the anchor were options considered but only if the imperative is upon me. I found it easier to adjust the offender. Keep it simple. Local law enforcement was hailed ( I can spot the profile from afar) and a contact number for the perp was secured. Back story, I had seen the boat at the nearby marina previously. I also knew they probably left the dinghy at the dinghy dock. Found the dinghy with a Dock pass secured to it so I called the office to get a contact number. The office would not release it to me. Officer got. Left text and voicemail, no reply as yet. 11:31
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 09:58   #29

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
The whole matter proves once again, that giving a boat with a pun as name is unlucky. Someone must have been terribly proud to come up with "Sea Yaw'l" for the yawl.

They better should have spent the effort in anchoring instead of finding a stupid name and patting each others back at how clever they are.
Wow, are you this bitter all the time about a name? and then call yourself yoghurt.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:14   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchored Too Close

Quote:
Bite my tongue! I asked for it. Advice I mean. All the options offered have been applied many times over the years. Single handing requires it. Truth be told, a neglected foul bottom and damaged folding prop is an encumbrance to be sure. Sailing off the anchor or pulling the anchor were options considered but only if the imperative is upon me. I found it easier to adjust the offender. Keep it simple. Local law enforcement was hailed ( I can spot the profile from afar) and a contact number for the perp was secured. Back story, I had seen the boat at the nearby marina previously. I also knew they probably left the dinghy at the dinghy dock. Found the dinghy with a Dock pass secured to it so I called the office to get a contact number. The office would not release it to me. Officer got. Left text and voicemail, no reply as yet. 11:31
Good you got officialdom involved.. always good to have back up to confirm efforts to resolve situation.
Re the name.. It seems apt for the situation..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor