Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:03   #61

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
The adjustment is not instantaneous. Their may be better ones out there, but we don't have them. Next time you load your family into your car, get up to speed on the highway and close your eyes. It's pretty much a lot like that, except we are 'driving' in 3 dimensions.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2010, 16:09   #62

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi interesting discussion. I am a little suprised how every-one seems to be is relaxed about the intrusion of 'the authorities' as we go about our lawful business.

There is a discussion going on in the Australian cruising community via the Coastal passge magazine (The Coastal Passage Home Page) regarding the rights or otherwise of Australian customs to board yachts without due cause.

Whilst I can understand the military being senstive about restricted areas and such, I do not know why we would have to accept boarding of our homes with out due cause. For example we dont accept police entering our land base home's with out due cause or a warrant, so why is it so different whilst boating?

My own experience with Australian customs on entry and exit to Australia many years ago were all postive ......maybe as some have suggetsed since 911 our Governments have forgotten that we are democracies rather than totalitarian states?
Old 10-12-2010, 16:15   #63

In US territorial waters or any US flagged vessel anywhere in the world can be boarded at any time for any reason by the US Coast Guard or US Navy (and I'm pretty sure some other federal entities as well, but those are the big ones). Ships do not get the same protection as a land home, regardless of whether or not you live on it. I'm sure this is different in other parts of the world, but for US sailors (or foreign sailors in US waters), there is no 4th Amendment right for you.

It makes sense to me, in the same way the FAA doesn't need a search warrant to walk on board a plane to inspect it.
Old 10-12-2010, 16:21   #64
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Well if you know morse code and can read flashing light. Then when you suspect that unlit vessel to be USCG then give them an Alpha Alpha.... Slowly of course you don't want them to think it is gun flashes.
I'm not familiar with that signal. Care to translate?
Old 10-12-2010, 16:26   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You're telling them you're in Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 10-12-2010, 18:05   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
In US territorial waters or any US flagged vessel anywhere in the world can be boarded at any time for any reason by the US Coast Guard or US Navy (and I'm pretty sure some other federal entities as well, but those are the big ones). Ships do not get the same protection as a land home, regardless of whether or not you live on it. I'm sure this is different in other parts of the world, but for US sailors (or foreign sailors in US waters), there is no 4th Amendment right for you.

It makes sense to me, in the same way the FAA doesn't need a search warrant to walk on board a plane to inspect it.

There would appear to be some legitimate concerns about the legailty of Australian Customs boarding yachts without due cause. Ships & yachts seem to be defined differently in the legislation. I guess until some-one actually challenges it in the High Court we are not really going to know.

I do actually see asubstantial difference between a civilian airfraft and a 30 ft sailing yacht with 2 people on board. Is it really necessary under such circumstances for coast guard or other 'authorities' to train weapons on people in such circumstances ? Seems like bullying to me.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:29   #67
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
"AA" in Morse code is a general signal used to attract the attention of another party.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:41   #68

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Those of you who have visited Bermuda, and stayed a while, will probably have entered Castle Harbour thru Castle Roads and put the hook down, east of the dis-used airport runway which projects into the bay.
During the Cold war, and right up intil Sam Donaldson talked Pres. Clinton into closing the base, this area was where the nukes were stored in bunkers.
The area was surrounded by high razor wire fencing, with towers and manned by US marines with the best "tools" money could buy.
50 yrds off shore from the 3 sides of the peninsular was a line of orange floats, crossing which got you a hail and the order to back up .
Problem was, this was reclaimed fill, and the Hogfish and the conchs were trumps in the shallows.
Used to spearfish with a friend who had military connections, and we often chummed the hogfish right to the floats without being challenged.

Jeff E, if you are still sailing, and read this,--salut!! man-great times we had.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:12   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
"AA" in Morse code is a general signal used to attract the attention of another party.
Thanks. That was bugging me and a even a google search didn't pop up any quick answer.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34   #70

Quote:

I had a friend who was at the helm at night offshore here on the east coast of the US and was approached by a unlit Zodiac with 4 or 5 people aboard. He told them that he was in a race and what ports he was sailing from and to. They then requested that they board which he refused until some ID could be established. They left and returned with some ID which he still questioned and even said that the military Zodiac that they were on could have been stolen. He told them that permission would be granted if the mother ship would light her lights which they did. Permission was granted but by this time the CG decided that he was not running drugs or etc. This all occurred before 9/11 and I wondered what the reaction would be today.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:38   #71

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
If the USCG wanted to board our boat I'm not going to try and resist, in fact I'll invite them for some coffee and donuts if I have them. I see them as friends not foes doing their jobs that we pay them to do, and since I support our troops it just stands to reason to support our USCG too.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:47   #72

Boat: San Juan 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
So let me get this right, you must have obviously had your gaydar on to spot him, and then this don't ask don't tell closet homosexual boarded your boat and broke your monitor?
Hey guys I'm thinking about upgrading my gaydar from my Garmin to one of the new Simrad overlay systems. Does anyone have experience with these newer units?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:54   #73

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:

I may be wrong, but I believe only the Coast Guard has the right to board a U.S. Flagged vessel. I'm pretty sure this was the reason we had the Coast Guard detactment onboard when we did counter drug ops. They always boarded the other vessels. The Navy is a military organization, the Coast Guard is a law enforcement operation, except intime of war, then they work for the Navy.

I agree with Jiffylube, I'll invite them aboard for a cup 'o joe and donuts, they are just doing their job and if you REALLY need them, they will put their life on the line for you, even if you got into trouble doing something really dumb.
Old 11-12-2010, 13:03   #74
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe only the Coast Guard has the right to board a U.S. Flagged vessel. I'm pretty sure this was the reason we had the Coast Guard detactment onboard when we did counter drug ops. They always boarded the other vessels. The Navy is a military organization, the Coast Guard is a law enforcement operation, except intime of war, then they work for the Navy.
I'm told that before the CG detachment boards a vessel, the warship strikes the Union Jack and hoists the Coast Guard ensign in its place, making it an official CG vessel for the duration of the boarding operation.
Old 11-12-2010, 14:26   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post

I agree with Jiffylube, I'll invite them aboard for a cup 'o joe and donuts, they are just doing their job and if you REALLY need them, they will put their life on the line for you, even if you got into trouble doing something really dumb.

I dont have a problem inviting authorities on board, or of course being civil to police etc. where i do have a concern is that within a democracy citizens do have certain rights and freedoms, and i become concerned when these rights are given away by governements, or misinterpreted by law enforcement agencies.
Closed Thread