Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 14:37   #76
cruiser

Your fishing gear over the side opens up those inflatables nicely.
Old 11-12-2010, 14:40   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Your fishing gear over the side opens up those inflatables nicely.
I can't speak for other countries but in Canada you would then be obligated to offer assistance to them unless you can prove doing so endangered you and your crew. I guess they're going to wind up aboard anyway.

Why anyone but the guilty would act in such a reprehensible way is beyond my comprehension.

Old 11-12-2010, 15:03   #78

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
The Coast Guard no longer acts under the Navy in times of war.
Old 11-12-2010, 15:19   #79

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
A long piece of poly strewn over the stern stops an unlit Red Sea type pirate's prop quickly, and leaves you in peace. A length of wire rope does it even better and longer, especialy rigging wire. Best only attach it to your boat by a light piece of breakway line. Turning from side to side increases the odds of them picking it up in their prop.

Brent you are Brilliant.
I can just immagine how that "screws" the Pirate's intentions.
Old 11-12-2010, 15:20   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

Why anyone but the guilty would act in such a reprehensible way is beyond my comprehension.
Maybe because some people are really tired of the over the top antics of LEOs toward ordinary citizens lately. Just sayin'...
Old 11-12-2010, 16:12   #81

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
None at all.

I flew FA-18s (USN) for ten years. We used to fly low and lights-out over anything that floated. Nothing dangerous, mind you, but it provided an opportunity to practice with radar, FLIR, targeting systems, etc. And it was fun. In short, if you sail offshore (or near shore) you've probably been shadowed by boats and aircraft more than you realize.

What you mean -nothing dangerous.
I almost jumped out of my own skin when one of these Fn18s or whatever buzzed me in a very dark night while I was driving towards the Canadian Border thinkin nothin but being home soon.

Funny, the Public is made to belive Satelites can read a licence plate from Space but then they have to sneak up on you to check out what you are doing, and what 20 heavy Machine Guns trained on a tiny Sailboat Hello.
Old 12-12-2010, 17:58   #82

Boat: not much yet
There are certain Sony Digital Camcorders that are very sensitive in several wavelengths. They made them take them off the market and disable the capability, because they could film your body inside your clothes. All Sony did was adjust the software. There used to be hacked software for them that allowed you to use them as night vision or heat vision very well, even at considerable range. You could locate everyone inside a house with one very easily.
I would assume that the capability is still there, and that someone is still doing hacked software for them.
Spending thousands for night vision equipment is a waste. A Sony Camcorder and you can even display what you are looking at on a monitor and record it.
I will leave the CG topic alone. Some would not appreciate my opinion of such actions.
Old 12-12-2010, 18:43   #83

Boat: Allures 44
Quote:
What you mean -nothing dangerous.
I almost jumped out of my own skin when one of these Fn18s or whatever buzzed me in a very dark night
So you noticed the loud noise, eh? Seriously, I only mean that tactical aircraft aren't going to hit you, and they don't even carry live weapons, typically.
Old 12-12-2010, 19:03   #84

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
"Still ain't been boarded by any LEO... 13 months an counting, I am a big fan of the USCG, they save lives instead of take them. "

They save lives, except for San Diego. Just saying.

See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ego-34330.html
Old 12-12-2010, 19:24   #85

The US Coast Guard, as with the Navy, Army, Air Force and Marines, or any other large organization for that matter is going to have a few bad apples, so is life. I hope I have misunderstood parts of this thread and that people aren't honestly talking about ways to sink Coast Guard ships that are full of men and women that are putting themselves in harms way in order to protect us and do their jobs. Please remember that they don't make the rules, they just carry out their orders. Every male in my family has been in the military for the last 120 years. I would imagine that every one of them, myself included, was in situations that we didn't agree with, but we did our jobs. The first day my father was in Vietnam his co-pilot was shot by two women when flying over a river in his Huey. I think it is safe to say that from that point on he changed his beliefs on who was and wasn't dangerous. I would imagine that there are plenty of Coast Guard vessels that have been fired upon by small boats and sailing vessels as well. It is in their best interest to be prepared when they approach a vessel. This doesn't mean that they can't carry out their job in a professional and courteous manner, and I believe that is the norm. I know many Coasties that have saved countless lives, often at the risk of their own, and yet I am sure when they are doing searches they want to come home to their loved ones just as much as the rest of us.
Old 13-12-2010, 04:21   #86

I will leave this alone, except to say this. Our law enforcement are the biggest, best armored, and best armed gang in the states. They abuse more people than all criminals put together, and mostly to generate revenue to pay their own salaries. They make the drug gangs look like model citizens a lot of the time.
And when the rest cover for the few, they are no less culpable in the crimes committed by the few than the few are.
Old 13-12-2010, 05:49   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnlaashock View Post
I will leave this alone, except to say this. Our law enforcement are the biggest, best armored, and best armed gang in the states. They abuse more people than all criminals put together, and mostly to generate revenue to pay their own salaries. They make the drug gangs look like model citizens a lot of the time.
And when the rest cover for the few, they are no less culpable in the crimes committed by the few than the few are.
Pretty harsh statements. Did you have some personal experience to make you feel this way? Abuse more people than all criminals put together? There is no way you could ever find any logic or data, no matter how you want to spin it, that would justify or support this assertion in the least.

I have to go with Lawdawg. LEOs of whatever variety: state, local, federal, USCG, whatever will be like the rest of us, mostly honest and hardworking but you will find a few jerks, cowboys and outright a$$es. Also you have to remember most of the guys on the street are just doing their job and enforcing policies established by the politicians.

All that being said, even though I understand the supposed legal justification for boarding vessels I strongly resent the fact that my floating home can be boarded at the whim of some LEO without even any probably cause. My home on land cannot be entered without a warrant or probable cause and I don't see why the same cannot apply to my home on the water.
Old 13-12-2010, 06:01   #88

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Well if you know morse code and can read flashing light. Then when you suspect that unlit vessel to be USCG then give them an Alpha Alpha.... Slowly of course you don't want them to think it is gun flashes.
Vaguely remember that Alpha - and probably Alpha Alpha - was the signal for "Who is there"...

Michael
Old 13-12-2010, 15:11   #89

This is not the venue for that discussion. I would have to link hundreds of videos of everything from lies and bullying to shooting a hand cuffed prisoner who was face down and restrained by another officer in the back of the head from 12 inches away.
We are the biggest police state in the world for one reason. Money.
There is no war on drugs. They don't shoot drugs or kneel on drug's wife's head at 2 AM while the children are screaming.
On the other site I frequent, they are discussing using swat teams to do safety inspections on Black and Hispanic barber shops in Florida, arresting 34 people for being barbers without a license.
Is kind of the same thing as using armed under way boarding for a head check, IMO.
Not the correct venue at all.
Old 13-12-2010, 15:23   #90
cruiser

When the Canadian government asked the Canadian Coast Guard to become cops, they said "No way! We are here to save lives, and if we do that, they will be reluctant to ask for help , until it is too late. Lives will be lost as a result. If they try to force us to become cops, we are on the picket line immediately."
In Canada we don't believe only the priviledged should be allowed to act in a reprehensible way . What goes around comes around . The charter of rights in our constitution has equality provisions.
Closed Thread