Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-02-2009, 12:05   #1

Boat: Riviera 35
Six Months on... Global Collapse Destinations?

Back last year, there was a thread "Good destinations in event of global economic depression?" It started with something like "with predictions of an economic collapse in the fourth quarter of 2008..." and so on...

Now, six months on, how do we Cruisers and aspiring Cruisers, feel that future directions will take us? Are we in a collapse? Is a collapse still coming? How will we deal with the recession as Cruisers? Is the recession realling affecting us? Are any people becoming Cruisers as a direct result of the recession? How long will it last? Are we becoming a more tight-knit community as a result of it? How is it affecting us both now and in the future? Would our Cruise Destinations alter?

Is there a danger in developing an almost survivealist attitude? Pension Plans have suffered, sometimes severely, and this must have an effect on many of us planning to retire and cruise. In my personal case, the drop in house prices initially meant that I could no longer afford the dream boat I wanted, and I must settle for something smaller, more economical to run, and so on. However, boat prices have recently softened, and it's becoming more of a buyer's market. But now, I also find I have concentrated much more on making the boat as self-sufficient as possible (A don't fully rely on Marinas concept) in terms of fuel, energy, waste and water requirements etc. And, I have even changed my earlier global aspirations to a more realistic (for me) itinerary.

I have experienced the 1980s and 1990s recessions, here in the UK. But this one is so different, as interest rates have gone down rather than up!!! My feelings are that with all the extra Government borrowings, something has to crack, and that it will be more than a year or two before we are out of this one. I am very . Am I alone with these thoughts? How do you feel the present and future climate will directly effect the Cruising World?