Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2020, 16:36   #16

Re: Sailboaters just don't understand powerboaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Fortunately, nothing bad has ever happened from applying broad-brush negative generalizations about a group of people based on a categorization....

As the borne-again sailor that I am, maybe I’m uniquely positioned to say, power boaters are a cross section of humanity, just like sailors. There are gems and losers in both communities. We could debate the propensity of each in both respective communities all day, but the tone of the thread is more toward the unique behaviors of each and why they exist, making this an immensely entertaining discussion.
Interesting. Many, many veiled references to powerboat owners. One veiled reference to sailors and suddenly the moral high ground erupts. Pretty sure that proves the point that sailors can be a bit uppity when it comes to powerboaters. Speaking of broad brush strokes
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:37   #17

Ok, this seems like the right venue; why do many powerboaters think it necessary to cross in front of a sailboat, even if they have to go out of their way to do it?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:43   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Ok, this seems like the right venue; why do many powerboaters think it necessary to cross in front of a sailboat, even if they have to go out of their way to do it?:
Because they like the sight of your beautiful sailboat.
Old 21-08-2020, 16:48   #19

Quote:
Ok, this seems like the right venue; why do many powerboaters think it necessary to cross in front of a sailboat, even if they have to go out of their way to do it? [emoji3]
Thread is why don't sailors understand power. It's because very few experienced sailors were powerboaters whereas many experienced power boaters started as sailors (as did I). I understand sailors. Most sailors do not understand powerboaters.
Old 21-08-2020, 16:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Well I've seen both sides. Have owned several sailboats from 34' to 63' and powerboats from 16' to 36'. Did the east coast last year from FL to New England in a 42' sailboat and just got back from two weeks in Maine on my son in law's 56' sport fisherman.

As several have noted there are attractions to both. There is something to be said to full time central air, on board water maker, washer/dryer, seven fridge and freezer drawers and 30-35 kt cruising. The other side, the full time air con is necessary because there isn't a single opening port on the boat. Cruising burns 90 gallons/hour. Cruising on this boat is more like living in a condo that floats.

Sailing is SLOW and you heel over and except for the really big monos or cats, cramped for space. But cutting the engine and cruising for days with no sound but the wind and waves is magic.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:53   #21

Quote:
Ok, this seems like the right venue; why do many powerboaters think it necessary to cross in front of a sailboat, even if they have to go out of their way to do it? [emoji3]
I helped a friend bring his 52 foot power cat to the yard a couple days ago. Skinny water going into the channel and there was a 45-ish foot Beneteau in front of us. He was zig zagging and we had no clue what he was doing. Channel was narrow and he kept veering in unpredictable ways. We slowed to 6 kts and waited. He stopped in the middle of the channel and just sat there. I figured he was just a novice with a fat wallet. No problem. Situation reversed and sailors get in a huff.
Old 21-08-2020, 16:58   #22

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Ok, this seems like the right venue; why do many powerboaters think it necessary to cross in front of a sailboat, even if they have to go out of their way to do it?
I always wondered that too, but now can say they apparently think it necessary to cross in front of other power boats, even if they have to go out of their way to do it. Maybe it's just me
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 17:09   #23

All I can tell you is that after 20 years of sailing on SF Bay, when I hear 5 blasts of a ships whistle, it's always a sailboat he's worried about.

Im guessing this sailor felt safe as he's under sail, starboard tack.

https://youtu.be/_tUoUxzt9sI
Old 21-08-2020, 17:15   #24

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Interesting. Many, many veiled references to powerboat owners. One veiled reference to sailors and suddenly the moral high ground erupts. Pretty sure that proves the point that sailors can be a bit uppity when it comes to powerboaters. Speaking of broad brush strokes
No!! Quite the opposite. I read your post as a veiled reference with negative connotation toward power boaters! If that’s not how you intended it, hell, you and I are defending the same group.

Sailers are no better than power boaters and power boaters are no better than sailers. We’re all different flavors of the same people. People who like different aspects of being on the water.

That said, I do think tribalizing people into opposing “camps” is a pretty grotesque manner of discourse and it does very little to foster a healthy community (in this case of boaters, writ large). When did finding commonality among boaters become the inflammatory position???

But I do take pride in the fact that my single post was described as the “moral high ground erupting”!!!! Take note team: THAT’S how you forum!!!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 17:17   #25

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Thread is why don't sailors understand power. It's because very few experienced sailors were powerboaters whereas many experienced power boaters started as sailors (as did I). I understand sailors. Most sailors do not understand powerboaters.
This former sailor hasn't abandoned sails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02700-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	221726  
Old 21-08-2020, 17:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
This former sailor hasn't abandoned sails.

The ULTIMATE lifestyle compromise!! So I have to ask, are you loved by both or loved by neither??
Old 21-08-2020, 17:46   #27

Boat: Sabre 34II

I have seen both ways, you cannot generalize things, it's the operator not the boat.

Few examples:

-power boater coming straight to me at 10+ knots, loud music playing on their boat so none heard my radio or horn, I changed course to avoid collision

-while returning one night to my bay I was motoring in the channel and suddenly saw a huge white canvas to my starboard coming straight at me, not a single light on his boat

-last Saturday while in LIS I altered course slightly while on port tack to give way to a head on vessel on starboard tack, the a-hole tacked 1 boat length in front of me and passed <10 feet abeam my port side - enough to ensure he heard every expletive that came out of my mouth

-I can only access our town dock at high tide because of draft and there is a sign limiting its use to 15 minutes yet I see mostly power boaters docked there for >30 minutes washing their boats (sometimes more than once), haven't seen that behavior from sailboats there. It really hurts me as it prevents me from using the dock that day

-powerboaters crossing in front of my bow less than a couple of boat lengths away, what if their engine dies?

-don't get me started on powerboaters throwing wakes all the time, I understand they like speed however a little courtsey will be very appreciated. Whenever I see kayakers or paddle boarders around me I slow down enough to make sure I don't disturb their water

-I tend to wave other boaters when they pass by us, I usually get a wave back from sailboaters but not powerboaters, they just seem very concentrated on the "road" ahead that they usually don't even look around, I like to call them focused yet more than once I had to change course to avoid them (see my first point)

I believe it is the mindset that forms when you drive a particular kind of vessel, since powerboats are more maneuverable they think things can be changed at the last moment whereas a sailboater has to decide course change from a 100 yards away. A sailboat when loses power will still maintain course for a few boat lengths however if a powerboat (ones common in my bay) loses power the wind and current will immediately get it, I have seen more powerboats getting towed in my area than sailboats.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 18:19   #28

Boat: Freedom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Fortunately, nothing bad has ever happened from applying broad-brush negative generalizations about a group of people based on a categorization....

As the borne-again sailor that I am, maybe I’m uniquely positioned to say, power boaters are a cross section of humanity, just like sailors. There are gems and losers in both communities. We could debate the propensity of each in both respective communities all day, but the tone of the thread is more toward the unique behaviors of each and why they exist, making this an immensely entertaining discussion.

Edit to add: I just caught the M in the MV portion of your name!!! Perhaps you’re the better emissary of the motoryacht crowd between us given that you’re still living life on the dark side!! Given that revelation, I say to you, touché and fair winds!
Completely agree. When I was at the aforementioned anchorage I had three motor boats come in and anchor at various times. All just having a good time like me. All three were anchored out too.
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 18:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
I have seen both ways, you cannot generalize things, it's the operator not the boat.

Few examples:

-power boater coming straight to me at 10+ knots, loud music playing on their boat so none heard my radio or horn, I changed course to avoid collision

-while returning one night to my bay I was motoring in the channel and suddenly saw a huge white canvas to my starboard coming straight at me, not a single light on his boat

-last Saturday while in LIS I altered course slightly while on port tack to give way to a head on vessel on starboard tack, the a-hole tacked 1 boat length in front of me and passed <10 feet abeam my port side - enough to ensure he heard every expletive that came out of my mouth

-I can only access our town dock at high tide because of draft and there is a sign limiting its use to 15 minutes yet I see mostly power boaters docked there for >30 minutes washing their boats (sometimes more than once), haven't seen that behavior from sailboats there. It really hurts me as it prevents me from using the dock that day

-powerboaters crossing in front of my bow less than a couple of boat lengths away, what if their engine dies?

-don't get me started on powerboaters throwing wakes all the time, I understand they like speed however a little courtsey will be very appreciated. Whenever I see kayakers or paddle boarders around me I slow down enough to make sure I don't disturb their water

-I tend to wave other boaters when they pass by us, I usually get a wave back from sailboaters but not powerboaters, they just seem very concentrated on the "road" ahead that they usually don't even look around, I like to call them focused yet more than once I had to change course to avoid them (see my first point)

I believe it is the mindset that forms when you drive a particular kind of vessel, since powerboats are more maneuverable they think things can be changed at the last moment whereas a sailboater has to decide course change from a 100 yards away. A sailboat when loses power will still maintain course for a few boat lengths however if a powerboat (ones common in my bay) loses power the wind and current will immediately get it, I have seen more powerboats getting towed in my area than sailboats.

That’s very much a contributing factor. Both types of boats act very differently, and as a result, their masters value different things. It’s important not to assume selfish motivation when (the very much more common) ignorance about the nuance of the other type of vessel is at the heart of a misunderstanding.
Old 21-08-2020, 18:27   #30

….after 40 years of sailing in 8 different sailboats I bought a trawler. Yawn-- after 1 year of power boating I sold the trawler and bought a Gemini Sailboat. Power was boring and unchallenging (to me)-- more like a chore than a adventure.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat