Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 18:45   #241
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
When do you head off Rich to Mexico?
14 Months Amigo and SV THIRD DAY is back in Taco Paradise.

Maybe I could make a YouTube video about how we came back from Mexico in 2012 for the kids to attend high school and I haven't really done much of my "Boat To-Do List" until now when we set our back to Mexico date.

My wife and I are both fans of RAN Sailing and we toss some Patron $ their way because its just fun entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RANSailing
Old 02-05-2017, 18:56   #242

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
If you are watching a sailing channel/vlog purely for sailing content then most likely you will be disappointed. They are sailing, travel, diving, snorkel, cooking, ect, ect, ect the bottom line is that they are for entertainment.

My wife and I enjoy a lot of the Sailing Youtube Channels. We are in our mid 40s and watch very little traditional tv however our YouTube consumption has risen over the last year because of all the sailing channels and most nights we will watch a new youtube sailing video on our tv.

The video quality, editing, story telling and shot planning that go into SOME of these channels is nothing short of professional. They will campout all day for a time lapse, go on hikes they might of skipped somthat they have content... taking the production past regular " film what we just do" vlogers. Sea Change and now SV Delos (starting around episode 102) are two that immediately come to mind for tv/cinema quality productions. Some are vlogs (home video quality) yet still very entertaining! And yet some fall squarely in the middle like Gone with the Wynns.

They are all different and we like most of them for various reasons.

SV Delos
La Vagabounde
Gone with the Wynns
Sailing Trios
Sailing Doodles
Out Chasing Stars
Chase the Story ( MUCH better now thats is just the two of them)
Catamaran IMPI
Two afloat ( dude has MS & still killing it)
Sailing Unspoken

As you can see we gravitate toward catamarans
My wife and I also watch more youtube and less traditional TV. And as you point out, it is because of the quality and variety available. One channel that has recently caught our attention is Drenched (for the divers among us):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo1...kvvbMxWljBSY1g

Great underwater photography. I've been scuba diving for years but my wife is just getting into it and this channel works for us. Any others like this channel?
Old 03-05-2017, 03:44   #243

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotsailor View Post
Without Youtube and there free bandwidth policy no one would see these people at all. People dont go to Patreon or Vimeo to sign up willy nilly at 60 dollars a year. The free bandwith policy is what creates the content. IF you wish to pay for youtube then sign up for youtube red at a monthly fee and skip the commericals.Cable tv will not be al cart in the US soon. Right now the ESPN contracts ensure your money goes to rich baseball football and basketball stars. Every Cable bill in the country must pay for sports.....I wont pay. I go for the Pirate TV instead and as the investment house is up for sale so we can go cruising I dont see it changing. I can download a weeks worth of premium tv at mcdonalds in an hour or so....MAybe I will start a youtube channel and go the professional ebegger route. You can get HBO online for 30 bucks a month or less....do you really think paying 30 bucks a month to some vlogger for some content is the same in a value added way? HBO produces some of the most expensive content in history can a youtuber say the same?

Great points about YouTube. Free uploads equals great content.

In case you haven't noticed ESPN is going under. Here is an article from Oct 2016 and the trend has continued https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/e...02916.amp.html
ESPN has the highest cost per subscriber of any channel on basic cable. Their business model is falling. They over paid for those sports contract and will be bankrupt in 10 years because of it.

How do you download premium TV for free? Asking for a friend.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34   #244

I think the amazing thing to me is how many people seem to have detailed knowledge about something they hate to watch.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:33   #245

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think the amazing thing to me is how many people seem to have detailed knowledge about something they hate to watch.
They don't hate to watch, they hate people doing things they can't do.

Mariano

Fair winds
Old 03-05-2017, 08:09   #246
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
They don't hate to watch, they hate people doing things they can't do.

Mariano

Fair winds
That's very true....but it's just not what people can't do themselves....it's that others had the balls to do it, while they just made excuses.

People respond to seeing others living their dreams in different ways. Some are happy for them, while others find fault in them because heck...if others can do it...it takes away their excuses. Some people actually root for others to fail at their plans/dreams.

As a great example, when we first came back form Mexico for the kids to do "normal high school" I told folks on our blog of our plans to live aboard in Morro Bay and that we would head back to Mexico when the kids were outta high school. It was damn surprising the number of emails and comments on the blog we received basically laughing at us and saying, "no way Rich, your boat days are done and you will be in a House within a year". The vehemence and almost rooting and cheerleading for us to "not make it" was both strange, hilarious, and in a way sick in the head!

My daughter Amy is in college and has her own boat as a floating college dorm. My son is a senior in high school graduating in a month and also looking for his own boat to live aboard while attending collage. (Morro Bay Mooring $250/mo...Cal Ploy Dorm $1500/mo...you do the math). The 14 month count down and Boat Prep list has begun and it's back to Mexico baby. If I wasn't such a nice guy, I would send the folks who said I would never pull off the plan a post card as we sail back South...but now I should make a Video, start up a Patron account and send them a link....ha ha ah...
Old 03-05-2017, 08:31   #247

Boat: Able 50

A Patron account ? Now THAT'S an idea !
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01   #248

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You probably wonder why you never get invited to parties, I bet.
Two of the best responses, ever!!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:12   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That's cool. It's not a strange crusade. I'm just pointing out what I think about this new "retire in the tropics on Patreon support money" game. I think it's VERY cool! If it continues, and ever more "home video" sailors cash in on Internet money from strangers, we'll be showing our "charm" and our "video skills" - 4+ times per month. At $9K per video upload, that is $430,000.00 per year - not counting coffee cups and t-shirts. Pretty damn cool way to sail around. It's got MY vote!

I'm not really trying to insult these home video people. I'm just pointing out what I sense is REALLY going on. For example, if we can pull in $430K per year of "patron support" money, and combine that with our "secret" other Internet business, you're looking at the 1-million US$$$ mark per year. What's not to like? Thanks patrons! We love you SOOO much!
OH MY GOD!!! Here we go AGAIN!!!! Take your alleged $570K and leave
Old 03-05-2017, 10:16   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by libspero View Post
I have watched most of them and have enjoyed all to varying degrees.

I understand the presence of the green eyed monster.. most of them have done good and managed to make a living doing things we'd love to be paid for. No point dwelling on it though.

My favourite now is the "sail life" channel on you tube. No bikinis, no fancy camerawork.. just a decent bloke living on his boat and doing (a great job of fixing it) up in the process. Genuinely interesting from a practical point of view.

Think the guy's called Mad or Mas or something
It's Mads, and yeah he's great. Honest about what he knows, seeks advice on what he doesn't. I'd by HIM a beer!!
Old 03-05-2017, 17:01   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
OH MY GOD!!! Here we go AGAIN!!!! Take your alleged $570K and leave
I forwarded your post to my accountant, and I should hear back from him by next Monday. And thanks for referring to me as your "GOD". Much appreciated!

hahaha
Old 04-05-2017, 03:06   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
14 Months Amigo and SV THIRD DAY is back in Taco Paradise.

Maybe I could make a YouTube video about how we came back from Mexico in 2012 for the kids to attend high school and I haven't really done much of my "Boat To-Do List" until now when we set our back to Mexico date.

My wife and I are both fans of RAN Sailing and we toss some Patron $ their way because its just fun entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RANSailing
If I were you I would also. You are running a company and to be seen supporting the cruising community is good business
Old 04-05-2017, 08:53   #253

Quote:
Sailing Emerald Steel[/I] is the first channel to which I subscribed some years ago. They did it the old fashioned way, they worked their butts off, taught themselves how, sought guidance when needed. Suze, at 19 yrs, learned how to weld and did all the welding. They splashed in 1985 and are still going at it. Sometimes I am dismayed that portions of their experiences are missing but I figure they are private persons. Their videos offer a wealth of information for those who want to learn how it really is. I think they post to document their experiences. Jules & Suze are a great a source of information. I just like their style and to hear of their experiences. They offer 30+ yrs of videos.
Emerald Steel is the first set of sailing videos I've watched.....much admiration and respect to the both of them. I esp like the fact that they can make and repair most everything themselves, including building a bloody water maker from scratch...impressive.

I'm surprised that more isn't mentioned here about them actually. One might think that for as long as Jules and Suze have been cruising, there would be a lot of CF cruisers here that have run into them along the way. I've read no mention of them....just these new video "stars."
Old 07-05-2017, 12:48   #254

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I for one have lived vicariously thru YouTube's sailing flicks.
For a newbie it has proven to be a boon.Entertaintment sure,but a helluva lot of info and "how to" has hopefully stuck to a few synapses.
Old 07-05-2017, 13:40   #255

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey badger View Post
I for one have lived vicariously thru YouTube's sailing flicks.
For a newbie it has proven to be a boon.Entertaintment sure,but a helluva lot of info and "how to" has hopefully stuck to a few synapses.
Perhaps some "how NOT to" as well
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard