Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 11:09   #226

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Youtube is more than just Home movies, Home movies have moved to Facebook where just you and your 25 friends & family will watch.

Youtube is where people go to get a review on a new TV, camera, laptop,
Youtube is where to find howto change to sink faucet, hang a new door, tile the floor, redo the roof.
Youtube is howto pave the driveway of your home.
Youtube will teach you Math, a new language, about the different city , how to milk a cow,
Youtube has changed to Reviews of Everything, Howto use most things, Howto Fix anything.
I check Youtube first before I buy, If there is no Video review on the product, I get concerned and will buy something that has a good video review.
If you believe Youtube is only Home movies,----------------------- Hum
Old 22-04-2017, 12:57   #227

I for one enjoy most of the videos. Any sailor who tackles the lower 40s of the Indian Ocean like Delos has my respect.

Recently, I watched a presentation by a marketing manager who did an analysis on the boating industry. He stated that over the last 10 years there has been a steady decline in selling numbers. Further analysis showed that Amel yachts sales spiked with the advent of the Delos videos.

Based on this analysis it is no wonder why La Vagabon was provided an excellent deal on a new Outriemer Cat. It makes perfect financial sense and good for the industry.

Of the top 5 video bloggers there are only 5 that make between 200-300 K. If a blogger can make money from strangers who support their efforts more power to them. Would I support? When I am sitting freezing my ass in Northern Canada in January at 40 below while these folks are walking on white sand beaches the answer is a definite NO.

Cheers
Lon
Old 22-04-2017, 13:52   #228

Boat: 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

My wife loves the Wynns, the whole boat buying, reffiting, sailing lessons and finally cruising the Bahamas really sold her on us doing the same. We throw them 10 bucks a month and I feel fine about it.

If I was to add another to our patreon acount it would be two afloat this guy is an inspiration!

https://youtu.be/4ktBIBoowq8
Old 22-04-2017, 14:44   #229

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Another to add to my list is RAN Sailing, young Swedish couple well done and in English, there are some good French ones but I can't follow the accents.....
Old 22-04-2017, 15:08   #230

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Another to add to my list is RAN Sailing, young Swedish couple well done and in English, there are some good French ones but I can't follow the accents.....
I also enjoy RAN, and of course Johan has tons of experience, and is very down to earth. Great couple.
Old 22-04-2017, 15:54   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrecklesslife View Post
Definitely agree with that. Just hit 39 and and been working over a year straight 2 jobs to fund my own escape. Even moved into my van so I have almost no bills now.I expect or hope anyways to get 3-5 years outta it and it will only be probably around the Keys or Caribbean area, not the whole world. I never thought a bad thing of all these kids doin this stuff I look forward to all the episodes I watch....Just makes me wish I did it sooner !
My life took a positive change when I hit 40. I believe that these are the best years of life. Now you are nobodies fool, more thoughtful and world educated plus your body still works properly. For myself I have got rid of all my baggage, and am having a new boat being built. Going to YouTube for me was a vehicle to revisit many of my old special places, and to increase my knowledge of new constructions and innovations.

Lon
Old 22-04-2017, 16:04   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
The reason certain videos keep popping up when you are on YouTube is simple. YouTube tracks your viewing habits, then suggestion popular videos that are in line with previous videos you have been watching.

I was mentioning the OP. Page 1, Post 1.
I've been on the Net since '93. Thanks.
Now do you understand? Cheers.
Old 23-04-2017, 05:05   #233
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lon.

Old 23-04-2017, 05:29   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
My wife loves the Wynns, the whole boat buying, reffiting, sailing lessons and finally cruising the Bahamas really sold her on us doing the same. We throw them 10 bucks a month and I feel fine about it.

If I was to add another to our patreon acount it would be two afloat this guy is an inspiration!

https://youtu.be/4ktBIBoowq8
Two of our favorites, too. My wife has a similar medical condition as the Two Afloat guy. Seeing him deal with his affliction, while continuing to cruise, has been very inspirational.

Some of these kids are obviously going to be the next generation of Pardeys, Roths, and Goodlanders.
Old 01-05-2017, 21:33   #235

Even thou many of you Think Youtube is Home Movies
MANY people pay their light bills with their Youtube checks
With the new Youtube advertiser issue, Checks this month have dropped 85% for most Youtubers.

There is a BIG push from many this week to get their subscribers to join Patron
Yeah , some people do put out 3 home movies a year,
But if you are watching someone that puts out a Video a week. Week after Week. Do Not believe they will keep doing so for pennies. So if it is someone you like a $1.oo a month is less then your coffee
Just Saying...
Old 01-05-2017, 22:04   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Even thou many of you Think Youtube is Home Movies
MANY people pay their light bills with their Youtube checks
With the new Youtube advertiser issue, Checks this month have dropped 85% for most Youtubers.

There is a BIG push from many this week to get their subscribers to join Patron
Yeah , some people do put out 3 home movies a year,
But if you are watching someone that puts out a Video a week. Week after Week. Do Not believe they will keep doing so for pennies. So if it is someone you like a $1.oo a month is less then your coffee
Just Saying...
Frankly its not my business how they pay their bills and its not theirs to pay mine.If someone thinks Youtube is a business then they need something to sell which is fine. Frankly I dont go to a movie theater and I steal all my TV from the internet. I see all the new movies and All the premium HBO etc tv show the night they come out for a grand total of zero US dollars. So for me video has little value and altho I do follow a couple of these people once I know they are making a full time living from it I stop watching....just becomes forced video for profit and I dont like REALITY tv shows so. A couple I have been following have been crying about money but I am not in charge of there business model and ebegging will have its ups and downs.If a group puts on a kids show in the park for free then passes the hat can they then cry about the take afterwards? The performers in Mallory Square dont complain to me. These people need to link web sites..pay for social media hits from the indian mills and line up advertisers.There is a reason Adsence payments are down. Advertisers are not getting value. Bill OReily got fired for not providing value to his too.
If these people think their shows are worth money then Vimeo will charge people to watch it.They have a right to spend their time how they wish and I have the right to spend what little I get after taxes on what I want.
Old 01-05-2017, 22:12   #237

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotsailor View Post
Frankly its not my business how they pay their bills and its not theirs to pay mine.If someone thinks Youtube is a business then they need something to sell which is fine. Frankly I dont go to a movie theater and I steal all my TV from the internet. I see all the new movies and All the premium HBO etc tv show the night they come out for a grand total of zero US dollars. So for me video has little value and altho I do follow a couple of these people once I know they are making a full time living from it I stop watching....just becomes forced video for profit and I dont like REALITY tv shows so. A couple I have been following have been crying about money but I am not in charge of there business model and ebegging will have its ups and downs.If a group puts on a kids show in the park for free then passes the hat can they then cry about the take afterwards? The performers in Mallory Square dont complain to me. These people need to link web sites..pay for social media hits from the indian mills and line up advertisers.There is a reason Adsence payments are down. Advertisers are not getting value. Bill OReily got fired for not providing value to his too.
If these people think their shows are worth money then Vimeo will charge people to watch it.They have a right to spend their time how they wish and I have the right to spend what little I get after taxes on what I want.
Great. You know, I think the point gets lost a bit here so let me try and explain ...

It's perfectly valid for you to take the approach you have. No complaints from me. Similarly, if people choose to help people develop content that they're interested in viewing, that's also valid and not worthy of the derision that has been handed out in this thread. Your view and their view can coexist without each proponents of either view telling them they're wrong etc. Live and let live, right?

If the content gets to the point where they need to take it to Patreon only or whatever then that will happen and you can continue your practices and so can everyone else. In that scenario. you don't value that content so you won't pay for it and therefore won't see it - fair enough. Those who do value it, and choose to contribute, can do so and will continue to view it - fair enough.

One point though, Bill O'Reilly got fired for his history of sexual harassment and impending lawsuits. Not because he wasn't providing value to his viewers.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:57   #238

Boat: Tanzer 22

It won't be long before cable TV is al a carte. You just pick what channels you want. And YouTube will be one of those channels. Like most people, we watch about 5 channels. And if YouTube was $5 month I would pay it as long as the content was the same as it is today.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:16   #239

Boat: Tanzer 22

It won't be long before cable TV is al a carte. You just pick what channels you want. And YouTube will be one of those channels. Like most people, we watch about 5 channels. And if YouTube was $5 month I would pay it as long as the content was the same as it is today.
Old 02-05-2017, 18:19   #240

Without Youtube and there free bandwidth policy no one would see these people at all. People dont go to Patreon or Vimeo to sign up willy nilly at 60 dollars a year. The free bandwith policy is what creates the content. IF you wish to pay for youtube then sign up for youtube red at a monthly fee and skip the commericals.Cable tv will not be al cart in the US soon. Right now the ESPN contracts ensure your money goes to rich baseball football and basketball stars. Every Cable bill in the country must pay for sports.....I wont pay. I go for the Pirate TV instead and as the investment house is up for sale so we can go cruising I dont see it changing. I can download a weeks worth of premium tv at mcdonalds in an hour or so....MAybe I will start a youtube channel and go the professional ebegger route. You can get HBO online for 30 bucks a month or less....do you really think paying 30 bucks a month to some vlogger for some content is the same in a value added way? HBO produces some of the most expensive content in history can a youtuber say the same?
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard