Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2017, 08:33   #271

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I've "bought a beer" for a couple but haven't done Patreon, mostly because I HATE signing up for anything that takes $ every month, have had some bad experiences trying to get is stopped....another think I like to do is to keep the videos playing once I've left the room, fell asleep, etc...I figure they get a full view that way and every view adds up...could be wrong though...

I thought I read somewhere that Delos is signing a big deal, did I miss that here ? Details if anyone has them ?
Old 14-05-2017, 16:28   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
We'd rather keep our money in our wallet, and let YouTubers upload whatever videos they wish to upload. Then, we watch their home movies for free, which is the natural agenda for watching Youtube videos, and keep our money. It's a great thing. We love it.
Tried to get some of the value I was hoping for in this thread but kept having to scroll past the nonsense from this poor lonely soul. Forums are funny. Easy to identify those with no life that live on them for company and just can't shut up or offer something of value. So sad.
Old 14-05-2017, 17:22   #273

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Tried to get some of the value I was hoping for in this thread but kept having to scroll past the nonsense from this poor lonely soul. Forums are funny. Easy to identify those with no life that live on them for company and just can't shut up or offer something of value. So sad.
I agree with him. I have been hungry in my life, and have never begged for money. If i needed to take care of my family or had a real emergency, maybe i would ask others. I dont understand this generation who always want to crowdfund or ask for donations so they can go play. Its my hope to go cruise someday, after raising a family and paying bills and health, who knows if i will make it, but i would never ask for anyone else to pay for it. I dont mind they make ad revenue from their youtube vids, thats ingenious, but asking for direct reoccuring payments for your vacation videos is what i consider panhandling.
Old 14-05-2017, 19:42   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Although you are not the OP, it's sad to learn that you find it completely annoying to click your mouse and scroll through posts you don't appreciate. Such is the Internet, I suppose.
Old 14-05-2017, 19:44   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
I agree with him. I have been hungry in my life, and have never begged for money. If i needed to take care of my family or had a real emergency, maybe i would ask others. I dont understand this generation who always want to crowdfund or ask for donations so they can go play. Its my hope to go cruise someday, after raising a family and paying bills and health, who knows if i will make it, but i would never ask for anyone else to pay for it. I dont mind they make ad revenue from their youtube vids, thats ingenious, but asking for direct reoccuring payments for your vacation videos is what i consider panhandling.
Thanks. I'm in complete agreement. Some people just wish to give their money to others so that they can be on vacation. I personally consider that to be very odd behavior.
Old 14-05-2017, 20:13   #276
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Yeah,-'not a game I would play, but I can't fault the recipients or the donors if they are pleased to do this.
Old 14-05-2017, 20:41   #277

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Hey Matt & Jess,

We watch every episode with great interest due to the fact you are rebuilding. We have found you to be creative yet solid in your decisions and methods. We don't always agree with your decisions but you explain why you do it, i.e. not having height adjustment on your chair for the chart table, and that is why we say the decisions are solid.

We appreciate the fact you two seem to be even tempered, well mannered and loyal to your project. Many would have abandoned and/or sold quite a while ago.

We also appreciate you have maintained a professional mindset with your videos. By that we mean both of you appear to have great respect for Jess as a woman and have not resorted to a T&A format. Not saying Jess isn't a beautiful woman, she obviously is, buy you have not exploited her for the sake of a few bucks. That is to be greatly admired.

Yes, we are patrons and will continue to be. We initially gave for both the entertainment aspect and to help out genuine folks who are dumping their money and their soles into their project. Now I feel we are donating for the education aspect! We are learning by watching!

Once you start sailing we realize you will start in the Carib and will continue to follow. However, we are really looking forward to the northern latitudes, that is going to be something to watch!
Thank you for the kindness and encouraging words Bacchus. With the heat and endless painting/sanding, we need it

Matt
Old 14-05-2017, 22:48   #278

Quote:
Well, we're getting a little off topic here, amigo. If you want to throw away your money for FREE things, go ahead. Do whatever you wish. Do you know what "I get" with every keystroke? I get the chance to stop typing, then look in my wallet and see that MY MONEY is STILL THERE ... in MY WALLET.

I'll ask it again. What type of person wants to give even "ONE DOLLAR" to strangers on the Internet who upload FREE home movies and are laughing all the way to the bank, while also taking delivery of a FREE million-dollar boat? I have no idea where that idiocy comes from, but it doesn't come from me.

Have a nice day, amigo!

You talk about free, home movies and so on.

One mistake is to think of it as a home movie. Most YouTube channels are so far past "home videos", or at least any home movie I have watched.

People are not paying for something that is "free". Most watch it for free just like you. I say most because, as far as Patreon goes, it depends on what they offer for that donation. For Patreon some will offer many things. One is early viewing. This is something SV Delos offers. Some might want that. But that isn't all you get so that is part of the benefit for donation that money. So they get something for it.

Some offer t shirts, a chance to stay on the boat and so on. Some channels allow you to have access to the uncensored version of the videos that sometimes also include extra footage. Most say that you can watch them free on YouTube if they want. If you read the comments, most are asked for a way to help out. Some channels start Patreon because they are asked about it over and over again. Some might because it works for other channels.

For some channels, the ones giving the money are making it possible for us to watch it for free. You are also helping because you are a viewer. Each view allows YouTube to show some ads, that makes them money. They break a little piece of that money for the channel as well. Also when the channels reach a certain level they are worth something to companies that want to reach their viewers.

You make it sound like all of these people are making tons of money. I don't think most make as much as you think they do. Sailing channels are tiny compared to the top vloggers out there. You have channels with 5-10 million subscribers out there. Some of those channels are getting 250000 views in a few hours.

And the million dollar boat wasn't a free gift. It was a business deal. I'm happy for them.

James
Old 14-05-2017, 23:13   #279
cruiser

I must confess that I was an avid viewer of the Sailinglavagabond couple, really enjoyed watching the daily struggle, I could definitely relate to it.

They completely lost me with the purchase and subsequent boat parties aboard their new catamaran. It seems that it was more of the daily adventures that held me, not the bling of a new boat and now marketing stuff. I still would like to meet them over some beers in an anchorage someday, they both seem to be very down to earth types.
Old 14-05-2017, 23:21   #280

Quote:
First, and foremost, don't get me wrong. In my first reply to this thread I gave my viewpoints on what this new "sailing with patron money" game is, and a few guesses. I will never pay to watch anyone's home movies, regardless of WHO they are or WHERE they are. If any of these people go the way of a TV contract, I will also NOT PAY for that either.

With that aside, let's imagine a few things related to the word "con". A "con artist" (confidence man) usually does not want you to see what he is ACTUALLY doing as he takes your money. Now I'm not saying these "home sailing movie" folks are con artists, per se, as the choice of whether or not to pay them is still up to you. But they are not "your friends". They are "strangers". Who knows "what" they are actually doing behind the scenes with that "patron" money. If they are smart, which I think they are, they are investing patron money in stocks, investments, real estate, etc. In addition, let's imagine that many of them ALSO have a secret side business, such as being a computer programmer doing his business from the boat. Those side businesses never get spoken about, as that would be quite stupid to do while you beg for patron support money. Thus, and if such things exist, which I suspect they do, it's a bit of a CON to state "We cannot do this without your support! We love you sooooo much! Please be a patron!"

I actually admire these people. It's a really GOOD NEW Internet game ($$$$$$$$$$$). Fantastic. Anyone who can pull $50K a month out of 1,300 strangers on the Internet should be commended! My wife and I are watching this, and keeping track ($$$$). If this super slick new patron game keeps rolling, we'll jump right in! We won't tell anyone who we really are, or that we also have a very lucrative side Internet business that we are running from the boat. We'll keep that info "hush hush"!, as we stroll around Madagascar looking for some cheap shop to repair a boat part. We will film THAT, and then look into the camera and say "Please helps us, patron bros! We are sooooooo poor!"

If like stated above, then it's a bit of a con. A very smart one, at that!

Have a nice day!
Many of them talk about side work they have to do to keep sailing. Many of them have full videos on it. A lot of them break down what they pay to keep going. SV Delos for one, has Q&A that went over what they did to make money early on. He talked about how he would code in that morning till about 11 to earn money.

There are travel vloggers that make money doing promo videos for hotels and so on. Rick Moore does things like that as well. One sailer is now offering prints of some of his pictures for sale. SV Delos talked about doing day work on the mega yachts to make extra money.

So most don't hide that information. That actually helps some YouTube channels. People want them to be able to stop doing the side work so they get more content.

James
Old 14-05-2017, 23:35   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
are there anyyoutube channels that are focussed on families/cruising with children?i've scanned through most of the ones mentioned and they seem to be couples or singles.
I like Sailing Zatara. My 10 year old daughter watched a few of their videos with me the other day. Surprised me because her and my son hate boats. I'm hoping the videos help change that by the time I get mine.

James
Old 15-05-2017, 00:57   #282

The funny thing for me is, I have always loved the water and boats. Well power boats. I was never a fan of sail boats at all. Had dreams of owning many boats and not one of them had a sail.

Had too much time on my hands this winter and stumbled on a sailing channel. I'm trying to remember which one and I believe it was Elayna's detox video. Not sure why it was suggested or why I clicked on it. The thumbnail might have been while I clicked on it but I ended up watching the whole video. I think she mentioned the boat so I wanted to know more about that. From thata video I started to crave more sailing videos.

In the last few months I have watched more than a few channels.

SV La Vagabonde

Loved the story and how they tell it. I'm excited for them to get out in the new cat.

Gone with the Wynns

I think someone mentioned them in the comments of another channel. I checked them out and after a few videos I was a subscriber. I like their story and the way they tell it as well.

Sail Life

Mads channel I stumbled on. Might have been a suggested video. Watched one and thought it wasn't bad but wasn't hooked. The channel was always in my suggested so if I was low on videos to watch I would watch one. After about 6 videos over a couple of weeks I started to want to see more. After a few more I was hooked. In the last few weeks I have watched every one of his videos.

I like his attention to detail, how he talks about different products and why he picked them. I like how he does his videos as well. I'm always loved forums and watching build threads of Jeeps, motorcycles, home theaters and so on. So seeing it in video seems to be something I really enjoy now. I get excited for Sunday to see a new video.

Sailing Uma

I like their videos and like that they get things done without having much. They find a way to get it done.

MJ Sailing

Just like some of the other channels, I wasn't hooked right away but in time I became hooked on the channel. I have watched about 60% of their videos so far. Just like Sail Life, I like seeing the repairs being done. I like the fact that they say what they are doing and why they are doing it that way. Like hearing if things didn't go as planned and why.

Sailing SV Delos

This channel took some time to get into. I love the style of videos and that is what made me check them out from time to time. It took some time but I really enjoy the channel. I watched 4 videos on Friday when I couldn't get to sleep. I had to stop myself from watching a bunch more that night.

Sailing SV Happy Together

I was enjoying the channels that seemed to be doing ok and making a go of things. I wanted to see the other side of it and find a channel that seemed to have money and see how things were for them. At some point I found Happy Together and started to like their personalities. I enjoy watching their videos.

Sailing Unspoken

I like seeing the cats and they seemed to have a good story.

Two Afloat Sailing

Over time I started to enjoy their videos and keep watching.

Sailing Creo

They seem like decent people and I want to follow along with their story.

Coast Life

Wanted to see if there were any sailing channels that were local to me. Found Coast Life and enjoy watching them fix up the new boat. I hope they get it in the water this year. I'm excited to see what they do this year.

Sailing Doodles

His comments during his videos makes me shake my head at times. But if I ignore that I enjoy the rest of the video. I wish his maintenance Monday videos were longer. I like to see more of that side of it.

Abandon Comfort

I want to see how they make out. Seems like it could be a good channel.

Jessica and Ryan Adventures

I'm following along as they save up to buy their boat.

Sailing with dogs

Just started watching them the other day. Watched a bunch of old videos to find out more about them.

So because of all of these channel, I now want to buy a sail boat. I'm hoping I can do so next year. Not sure if I will have the money or time this year but I would like to take some sailing lessons.

James
Old 15-05-2017, 01:48   #283

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Youtube liveaboard stars?

I find the patron and donation requests less offensive (perhaps the wrong word) than the constant pushing of books on people that happens on these forums. Pretty much every thread where someone asks a question, a poster will say "buy this book" rather than answer the question.

I've never come across it on any other forum. Is it specific sailing/cruising thing?
Old 15-05-2017, 02:54   #284

Boat: no boat any more

...could it be that many of us often think, that some bookauthors answer some questions more in-depth (& in the case of non-native-english-speakers like myself) in better english???
Old 15-05-2017, 03:07   #285

Boat: Morris Justine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I bet you wonder why you never get invited to parties.
At least they can afford to throw their own parties.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard