Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 08:37   #1036
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,175
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Security is a myth. Of course you do all you can to to obtain the future you want whether it be financial or passage making, but the reality is the future is unknown, thus security is definitely not guaranteed.
The greatest risk of all is taking no risk.
Couldn't agree more! (As a general principle to live by, nothing to do with any gender issue. )
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 09:10   #1037
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,773
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Great post ChiChi (#1024)
I didn't quote it because it was so long.

I've been living with the theory of the difference of the sexes in regards to the point system. Men don't understand everything is worth one point to a woman.
So the guy buys an expensive diamond ring and thinks "wow she's going to love this", tells his friends how many 'points' he going to get for doing this. For her that's great, but only worth one point. Massaging her feet later that night before bed, the guy doesn't even think about it, but it's worth exactly the same amount as the ring he's been saving up for for months, one point.

Sorry if this comes off as sexist but in reality, no matter how hard we try for equality, there will always be a difference in the way men and women are wired. Thank your god for that.

goat
Yes thank God for that, the differences may drive me crazy at times BUT I want us to be different!! The more we become the same the less interest I have in being a couple, this isn't about power, superiority or anything else. I don't need a woman but I certainly enjoy having women in my life.

With the right woman I have found her feminity brings out my masculinity and vise versa, read into that anything you want, but I enjoy it when a woman can enjoy her feminity and has the self esteem to be feminine. A woman to me is defined by more than her genitals!

Masculinity is often persecuted, usually by men and women that feel threatened by it. It's sad as far as I'm concerned that what I consider to be wonderful opposing energies are slowly getting more confused or less defined. I think this is a western world thing.

I think it takes courage in our modern world to be feminine. Feminine isn't weak or inferior, it's feminine, it's a beauty I hope we don't lose.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 09:15   #1038
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 4,593
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

My life and my outlook on life appears to be much simpler than most posters here. Perhaps I am a simpleton but I live by a simple set of aphorisms ....

- Papa gets all the chocolate - wg
- I don't give a damn who bought it, the last beer is mine - wg
- Smile - it's a choice - wg
- Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
- I can do that - wg
- Be the master of your own disaster - wg
- If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
- Better lucky than good. The harder I work the luckier I get. - wg
- if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
- Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation - wg
- Doesn't matter what you do, good, bad or indifferent .. it's coming back - wg
- The difference between adversity and adventure is attitude - ma
- I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
__________________
it's not that I'm set in my ways but it's taken me 69 years to get it right and I'm not changin' now !
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 10:13   #1039
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,175
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Yes thank God for that, the differences may drive me crazy at times BUT I want us to be different!! The more we become the same the less interest I have in being a couple, this isn't about power, superiority or anything else. I don't need a woman but I certainly enjoy having women in my life.

With the right woman I have found her feminity brings out my masculinity and vise versa, read into that anything you want, but I enjoy it when a woman can enjoy her feminity and has the self esteem to be feminine. A woman to me is defined by more than her genitals!

Masculinity is often persecuted, usually by men and women that feel threatened by it. It's sad as far as I'm concerned that what I consider to be wonderful opposing energies are slowly getting more confused or less defined. I think this is a western world thing.

I think it takes courage in our modern world to be feminine. Feminine isn't weak or inferior, it's feminine, it's a beauty I hope we don't lose.
To add to this insightful post, being feminine is a natural, indispensable source of power. Perhaps in an effort to fill modern roles imposed by society, feminist often seems to come at the expense of feminine, resulting in women voluntarily ceding one of their easiest paths to achieving true equality. You couple this with a man's natural instinct to protect, provide, etc., and you'd think relationships would be easier. I'm not talking about going back in time, but progressing forward by recognizing natural differences which complement each other, thereby making a relationship more than just the sum of its two parts.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 10:17   #1040
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,773
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
To add to this insightful post, being feminine is a natural, indispensable source of power. Perhaps in an effort to fill modern roles imposed by society, feminist often seems to come at the expense of feminine, resulting in women voluntarily ceding one of their easiest paths to achieving true equality. You couple this with a man's natural instinct to protect, provide, etc., and you'd think relationships would be easier. I'm not talking about going back in time, but progressing forward by recognizing natural differences which complement each other, thereby making a relationship more than the sum of its two parts.
Awesome!
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 10:29   #1041
Registered User
 
redhead's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PNW 48.59'45N 122.45'50W
Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Posts: 1,338
Images: 9
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
My life and my outlook on life appears to be much simpler than most posters here. Perhaps I am a simpleton but I live by a simple set of aphorisms ....

- Papa gets all the chocolate - wg
- I don't give a damn who bought it, the last beer is mine - wg
- Smile - it's a choice - wg
- Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
- I can do that - wg
- Be the master of your own disaster - wg
- If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
- Better lucky than good. The harder I work the luckier I get. - wg
- if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
- Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation - wg
- Doesn't matter what you do, good, bad or indifferent .. it's coming back - wg
- The difference between adversity and adventure is attitude - ma
- I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
With the exception of line #1 (I have serious issues with this) and I would change line #4 to "be the person my dog thinks I am", I agree completely. I am copying and pasting this all over my boat, I am emailing, Facebooking, calling friends. I'm going to write this on the blackboard 100 times.

I love this. Yes.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:01   #1042
Registered User
 
wolfgal's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Boat: still sailing an armchair...
Posts: 650
Images: 1
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Chichi, et al,

We knew two singlehanders, a man and a woman. Each owned a vessel of their choice, fitted out as each liked. They discovered they enjoyed each other's company, and the observers in the fleet observed with interest.

One season, then the next, and then the third, each sailed the vessel to the same destination, and when they arrived, they went to potlucks and did activities as a couple.

The fourth season, each sold their own boat, and they bought a boat together, all according to their own negotiation and conversation, and problem solving skills. As far as I know, they are sailing, still. This occurred in the 1990's.

I wrote earlier in this thread that if you want a committed partner, pursue your own interests, and just be open to the possibility. You will either meet them or you won't, it is up to the Fates. But the bottom line is that you will be pleasing yourself along the way, being true to your inner self is the healthiest thing you can do.

Ann

Thanks Ann. yes this does seem to work this way fairly often. i'll see when i get there but think that keeping in mind that i might outlive my mate, it might be better to stick to the idea of getting a boat that can be single-handed




Everyone, i'd like to share a 15 minute video with you. the wisdom in this video is helping me get out from between a rock and a hard place in life and, in the end, does address relationship issues like those we've evoked here as well.



i'd love to hear your thoughts on it
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:44   #1043
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 116
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

I think what everyone is saying here is something I've found out in that you can go out and have fabulous adventure's by yourself but if do not have some one to share the experience what's the point.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 12:12   #1044
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,773
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer1008 View Post
I think what everyone is saying here is something I've found out in that you can go out and have fabulous adventure's by yourself but if do not have some one to share the experience what's the point.
Theres a heap of people out here. I dont want to be alone all the time. You dont need a partner to have friends. Be proactive , get involved with people. Markj hasnt appeared for a while, hes single and seems to be having a good time.
Theres happy single people and sad ones, theres happy married people and sad ones.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 12:23   #1045
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,175
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Theres happy single people and sad ones, theres happy married people and sad ones.
Exactly. I have done a lot of long-distance mx travel around the world, both solo and with other people. I tend to meet many more people when I'm traveling solo, and have never felt lonely or alone. But I know plenty of people who have always been married or in a relationship, and they probably wouldn't be comfortable or could even imagine life otherwise.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 12:48   #1046
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 4,773
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi View Post
Thanks Ann. yes this does seem to work this way fairly often. i'll see when i get there but think that keeping in mind that i might outlive my mate, it might be better to stick to the idea of getting a boat that can be single-handed




Everyone, i'd like to share a 15 minute video with you. the wisdom in this video is helping me get out from between a rock and a hard place in life and, in the end, does address relationship issues like those we've evoked here as well.



i'd love to hear your thoughts on it
Great stuff.

I've learnt choices are everything, life rewards action (decision making) and the definition of hell is "upon your death the man you are meets the man you could of been". Goes back to my earlier comment regarding risk.

Oh, Im now wondering how many people are seeking therapy because of me, yikes! Ex wife did, but i paided for it, does that make it ok?...joke people joke
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 13:06   #1047
Registered User
 
Quebramar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brussels (Belgium)
Boat: Najad 373
Posts: 161
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Chapman’s 5 languages of love are applicable to all, indifferently of gender. It takes a while to understand one’s own preferences and even more someone else’s.

Such preferences seem to be hardcoded in our brain or heart so they are at the basis of our affective needs. That makes it so difficult for one to understand someone else’s preferences and act accordingly if they are different.

Interestingly Chapman got faced with the question: what about work? Do colleagues have different ways of feeling appreciated ? Hence he developed a variation of the 5 languages of love with the “5 languages of appreciation at work”. Again not gender-related but rather one’s personality and fundamental emotional needs.

Once the language of someone else is known and one makes an effort to address it, it works wonders as it «*hits the nail on the head*»
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 13:58   #1048
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 146
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Theres happy single people and sad ones, theres happy married people and sad ones.
And when one realises that about 1/3 of all marriages end in divorce, and half of those that don't are not happy, but the couple hangs on for the sake of the children, religious or financial and security reasons etc; then marriage as an institution is far from what it is cracked up to be.

A divorcee re-marrying is the triumph of optimism over experience.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 14:10   #1049
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 4,593
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
A divorcee re-marrying is the triumph of optimism over experience.
Experience is born of bad judgement.
Good judgement is born of experience.
__________________
it's not that I'm set in my ways but it's taken me 69 years to get it right and I'm not changin' now !
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 14:52   #1050
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 2,331
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
Chapman’s 5 languages of love are applicable to all, indifferently of gender. It takes a while to understand one’s own preferences and even more someone else’s.

Such preferences seem to be hardcoded in our brain or heart so they are at the basis of our affective needs. That makes it so difficult for one to understand someone else’s preferences and act accordingly if they are different.

Interestingly Chapman got faced with the question: what about work? Do colleagues have different ways of feeling appreciated ? Hence he developed a variation of the 5 languages of love with the “5 languages of appreciation at work”. Again not gender-related but rather one’s personality and fundamental emotional needs.

Once the language of someone else is known and one makes an effort to address it, it works wonders as it «*hits the nail on the head*»
Finally Thank you, Quebramar, for saying in such a succinct way what I clearly wasn't able to in many previous postings. My job is done now; time to move on
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All about the Colregs no 3 - single handed sailing and keeping a look out Rustic Charm Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 401 23-02-2021 11:49
Make a Living, Living Aboard JanetGroene Boat Ownership & Making a Living 0 19-11-2010 12:28

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.