Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 03:21   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Dry Dock - things to do?

I am to leave my sailing boat in dry dock for 6 months in Greece and there will be nobody to ventilate it for that period. Does anybody have suggestion on things to do on regards to condensation and similar potential issues?
Thanks
Milan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Dry Dock - things to do?

I would consider hanging a half dozen of the "Damp-Rid" bags or putting out a supply of Naphthalene (moth balls) and leaving the boat sealed. These desiccant packs should keep the cabin dry and discourage any invading animals or molds & mildews.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38   #3

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Heard kitty litter works well
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I think that the kitty Litter is a good idea too. You'd need more volume, but it's cheap. Without a temperature difference between the inside and outside of the boat, the condensation should be minimal. Some people like to leave a incandescent light in the engine room or elsewhere for some drying heat and yet not much to promote condensation.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:31   #5

Boat: American Tug

Solar-powered and waterproof hatch vents with built in fans to circulate air are commercially available.
A web search for "solar powered sailboat hatch vents" turned up dozens, from cheap to expensive.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09   #6

Don't Do's. The first time I left my boat on the hard in Florida, I just locked it up and left. When I came back it was half full of water. The reason was that the field next to where the boats were stored, was a sugar cane field and when they burned off the field the ash and leaves plugged up the scuppers and the cockpit run over into the cabin went on all winter. The second year I left it on the hard was in Florida also. This time before I left it, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the bilge so that I could drain the water out all winter. This time I forgot to screen the hole and the mud daubers hauled in about 50 Lb's. of mud and built nests all through the boat. After that I left it in a marina with some caring hands to watch over it. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:20   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Make sure you have insect and rodent proof screens on all openings.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 22:07   #8

Boat: PDQ 44i

You are leaving your boat "on the hard." Wash her to remove all salt. Take all sails and canvas off. Service your engines and flush the cooling systems with fresh water. Secure your halyards. Plug all through hulls, exhausts and intakes except the bilge pump discharge. Leave everything extremely clean and dry. Wipe down sole, bulkheads and furniture with a dilute vinegar solution and let it dry thoroughly. Get rid of all food to avoid attracting pests. Hire a caretaker to inspect the boat weekly or fortnightly. Put out several tubs of desiccant, and have the caretaker dispose of the water and add fresh desiccant as needed. Keep your batteries charged and have the caretaker add distilled water as needed. Drain your water tanks. Leave your diesel tank full. Leave interior locker doors open for ventilation. Be sure your scuppers are clear of debris, and insist that your caretaker check them every visit. Be sure she is level enough that water will drain off the decks and cockpit without puddling enough to enter the boat. it's a big job putting a boat into storage.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:03   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Having done this a number of times in the Tropics, I agree with both doublewide's checklist and dochip's suggestion to install a solar-powered vent. I'd add "tent" all the cushions to allow for air circulation.

Do install a vent--it will make a huge difference. I installed mine in the head's overhead hatch. Nicro makes a good product.

Tags
dock