Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2021, 18:22   #1

When/How to cross the golden gate

I've seen some references https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-214574-2.html

https://tradewindssailing.com/wordpress/?p=1981

both recommend going out during the slack , and best in the slack before flood. I have 2 questions:

1) why exactly is it bad to go out on an ebb (by "riding the waves out")? the two references did not really explain why. the second reference only mentions "Throw in San Francisco’s famous 25 knot winds and things get really interesting."

2) the above references mention going out "early in the morning on a slack", but this is not true , right? the time of the slack everyday changes, so it could be in the afternoon.

3) about where to go out, the first link says to "stay away from the bridge abuttment" , but I seemed to have heard that to stay close to the side as much as possible just enough to avoid the rocks, and there were some counter currents that helps you ??

thanks
Yangyangyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 21:02   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: When/How to cross the golden gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangyangyyy View Post
I've seen some references https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-214574-2.html

https://tradewindssailing.com/wordpress/?p=1981

both recommend going out during the slack , and best in the slack before flood. I have 2 questions:

1) why exactly is it bad to go out on an ebb (by "riding the waves out")? the two references did not really explain why. the second reference only mentions "Throw in San Francisco’s famous 25 knot winds and things get really
interesting."

"riding the waves out" The underlying concept is to avoid a strong wind against the strong tide situation. Generally speaking, you want the flow of the tide to be in the direction you want to go, as long as the wind isn't on your nose.

The summer weather pattern of "low fog extending inland night and morning, with 25 knot NW wind in the afternoon, is very reliable. So the writer is guiding you to take advantage of the winds for re-entering the Bay, and if possible, to catch the run-in to help you back to your harbor or anchorage.

2) the above references mention going out "early in the morning on a slack", but this is not true , right? the time of the slack everyday changes, so it could be in the afternoon.

In places where you have a lot of impounded water, like SF Bay, the runs out and in do not occur at the same time as high and low water. Suggest you go to the Bay Model and watch it for a while, and then correlate with appropriate tide tables. Made simple, if you want to go out and sail on the ocean or schmooze about looking for whales or go north or south, you want to leave in time to arrive in daylight (it's easier), so morning is indicated. Then, looking at your tide tables, you pick a time when the run in is minimal, and use the wind to take you out. Often this involves a lot of tacking. Depending on your destination, you return when you want to for your downwind leg.

3) about where to go out, the first link says to "stay away from the bridge abuttment" , but I seemed to have heard that to stay close to the side as much as possible just enough to avoid the rocks, and there were some counter currents that helps you ??

Yes, but do not try to go between the south tower of the bridge and Ft. Point. I know some of the race boats do that, when there is winning a race to consider, but it is not really a wise tactic for a cruiser. [Why risk the welfare of the boat for a few minutes brief current assist?]
There are outlying rocks there, and bizarre current swirlies. Also, give it plenty of clearance if coming in under spinnaker, for the demon of the south tower loves to gybe the wind there (air currents off the bridge), and it's awkward.

thanks
No worries, fond memories of Bay sailing.

Ann