Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2019, 14:16   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: When to leave San Francisco

Roverhi reminds me that I rarely turn south before the #6 ship channel buoy. I've seen racing sailboats hug that coastline on calm days and I still won't do it. A sneaker wave in there have killed too many people. Likewise, I wont cross the Potato Patch and rarely use the Bonita Channel that runs north unless it's a really calm day. It's just not worth the risk (and I'm a risk taker...).

As to the detractors, I have been in the bay region (now Oakland) for 8 years now and absolutely love it. That's not to say I don't get frustrated by the problems, but I've never been any place that doesn't have its issues.

Thanks, SV Sailfish, for the well wishes!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:24   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: When to leave San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
When to leave San Francisco?

At least 20 years ago.
Our family is o-l-d San Francisco, so much so that there's actually a Street named after the family. Sadly, at this point I'm happy to say we're from San Francisco--far from San Francisco.

It was once a great town. Now it's an open sewer. We used to visit our old neighborhood at Presidio and Pacific Street, but after the last trip--and seeing what had become of the City--we agreed, never again (although we still keep our membership at RYC, for "old time" sake). We do miss climbing the hill to the El Drisco on Sunday mornings for the "Silver Dollar" pancakes tho', and sailing out of the fog to our slip in Sausalito on Sunday afternoons, and the ginormous chocolate chip cookies at the old Pine Street Bakery...

Oh well...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco