Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 20:07   #1

Boat: Tartan 4400- Tartini Time
Feedback on Chuck Burns designed Farralon, Golden Gate, Bodega or Bay Island 30

Looking for full keeled 30 boat to do coastal cruising, and maybe beyond. Looking for a budget boat, and came across one of the models above, that might fit my needs. Looking for any feedback to some of the design or structural pitfalls of this design. Boat is equipped with a Volvo md6 motor.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 21:38   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Feedback on Chuck Burns designed Farralon, Golden Gate, Bodega or Bay Island 30

G'DAy John,

Close friends had a Farralon 29 built in the Bay area in about mid 70's, and sailed it for many years. Only structural problem I recall was the cabin sides flexing where the lower shroud chainplates were attached. Had to fit some internal supports to a spot lower in the hull to cure it. Boat was pretty tender but sailed OK. Was impossible to steer in reverse,too.

If you have specific queries I might get them to let you e-mail them... they sold her some years ago, but memories linger on.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW, Oz
Old 06-03-2011, 16:09   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Re: Feedback on Chuck Burns designed Farralon, Golden Gate, Bodega or Bay Island 30

We had chance to buy one and did some research. Some collected info is here: Farallon Owner's Site | Main / Home Page (it was mostly written by a friend, a Bodega owner, after we have decided for our current boat).
Good luck
Petr
Old 14-05-2013, 11:08   #4

Boat: Herreshoff 12 1/2
Send a message via Skype™ to keelhauled

Hello Petr -

I know this thread is old, but I just bought a Farallon 29 and am looking for info. The link in your last post doesn't exist; do you know if any of the info you collected is still around?

Cheers,
Greg
keelhauled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 21:36   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"

Hello Greg,
what a timing! Just a week ago, in Puerto Galera, we have actually seen the Farallon we wanted to buy couple of years back.
Sorry the site has been down for a while now. I don't have a very good internet connection now to put it up again right now. Maybe in few weeks. In the mean time you can download the whole site here: http://klubko.net/stuff/farallon.rar
It's built using PMWiki. You can try get it up locally using xampp. If you are not versed in webhosting, you can still read it, although it won't look very nice. All the files are just text files. You will find all the content iwhen you unpack the farallon.rar in farallon/wiki.d
Good luck and let me know if you intend to do something with it. The content has been filled by me and one real Farallon owner, whose name shall remain undisclosed since I forgot it
Cheer
Petr
Old 20-05-2013, 13:26   #6

Hi Petr -

Thanks so much for that info. I'm afraid I'm not having much luck with the technical side of things, but I am able to look at the pieces, which gives me some more inspiration. I'll be starting to work on her in June, which will most likely involve removing everything aft of the v-berth bulkhead. Most of it is regular 3/8" plywood, not marine grade, and not a functional layout as well. My intention is to keep her as a daysailor for the summer, get to know what feels right, and then really go to town over the winter to re-work her interior.

I'll try and post pics as I go -

Thanks again for the help!

Greg
Old 22-06-2013, 19:04   #7

Boat: Sausalito 32 aka Aries 32

Hello All!
I am new to the community and bought a Farallon 29 back in December. It's partially finished and as far as I know has never been sailed except when I moved her from Redwood City to Emeryville using an improperly rigged hank on headsail, no main, and the diesel throttled up to keep her from falling off the wind. I have no running rigging whatsoever and I'm trying to find info on how to lay it out, what types to use, etc. Anyone know a good place to point me?
Thanks for anything!
Michael
MilleniumWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 21:04   #8

Hi Michael -

I'm over in Sausalito, and I'd be glad to give you a hand. Sounds like my boat is in the same shape as yours. I have an extra main that came with my boat; it's off a Catalina 27, slides for an external track, but that's easily fixed. I've never raised it, but it should be a start for you, at least. And I can give you a hand with the rigging. PM me and we'll figure it out -

Greg