Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 11:55   #76

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It shouldn’t do anything.
Back in the day we were I believe 72 MHz and we had to keep tight frequency control, someone could turn on their transmitter and if they had the same frequency it could shoot you down. As could power lines, someone with a linear amplifier on their CB etc. glitches from radio interference was common.
Now days everything is I think 2.4 GHz and the aircraft “binds” with the transmitter and everyone is on the same frequency, Hodges Hobbies set the record a few years back with hundreds of aircraft in the air at the same time, all on the same frequency and no interference.
I believe the signal, is digital and unless the commands are tagged with a correct digital tag interference is ignored, I think.
If the SSB swamps the digital signal then the drone is going to do whatever it is programmed to do when there is loss of signal. If that is to just hover then you can at least mess with their guidance for a bit until they get Leary of getting close to you.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:04   #77

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Answer the question, my boat is unique and distinct looking. All the phones come out when I pass by a park or bridge too. It's just an attention grabber unfortunately.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:39   #78

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Well I’d the demographic that should

I’m a professional pilot as well as someone who doesn’t like people in my business, that said I also do hold a sUAS cert but really haven’t worked the drone much at all, initially I was going to use it for post damage inspections on roofs and stuff like that.

All that being said, the drone problem is much like the “mass shooter” problem, does it exist, sure, is it something worth sorry over, no.

For the most part unless you are dating a hot celeb, no one is going to go out of their way and risk their multi thousand dollar drone for candid shots of them, and frankly unless your wife/gf is a hot and under 35 no one probably wants to even see them naked. That being said if you make a scene, or start trying to chase some dudes drone around, who probably didn’t care about you before, well now you’re fun to mess with, self fulfilling prophecy and all that jazz. I’d also point out depending on location and knowledge of the parties involved a drone may be considered a aircraft of sorts and downing one might put you in more trouble than you’d want or expect.

When I see one I’ll check it out, huh that’s a XYZ, maybe wave and go about my day, I’ve yet to have one mess with me or mine. Yeah there are some bad actors, but the maaaaaas majority don’t give a hoot about you unless you decide to play with them. My 2 cents for what it’s worth.

Fortunately, I've never been the focus of a drone. I do believe they should be considered fair game over private property though. Anything closer than the range of a #6 birdshot blast should be off limits - in keeping with a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 13:09   #79

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Fortunately, I've never been the focus of a drone. I do believe they should be considered fair game over private property though. Anything closer than the range of a #6 birdshot blast should be off limits - in keeping with a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Does that include manned aircraft, coast guard, other cruisers?

Seems like a problem in search of a issue
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 13:39   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
So far my cruising has been mostly done in fairly remote areas. So far these have been free of drones. Heck, they're mostly free of everyone .

However, on three occasions I have been circled by small aircraft whom I believe did so just to get some pics of us. We're a fairly classic and beautiful boat, especially with all sails flying (and from afar ... so you can't see the need for varnishing ).

I don't have any real issue with someone taking photos of our boat from a respectable distance. But I would certainly take issue with a drone hovering within a hundred feet or so without prior permission. This is clearly an invasion of privacy, and I believe (hope) most responsible drone fliers would understand and respect this.
Old 11-12-2019, 13:52   #81
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Didn’t London also ban knives?
Narwhal tusks and fire extinguishers still allowed.

As for youtubers, good luck to them. Met one bunch only, unobtrusive and pleasant.

Much worse IMHO are the many cruisers met that seem incapable of relaxing into local customs & habits and want to impose what they see as how the world should be onto everyone else. That can often just be embarrassing or worse.

Bit like this thread, 'I don't like it so it's wrong and shouldn't happen,'
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 14:09   #82
CLOD

Boat: none

I can only remember seeing 1 drone following me ever. Made me feel like a rockstar or something because wanted watch me
Old 11-12-2019, 14:28   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If the SSB swamps the digital signal then the drone is going to do whatever it is programmed to do when there is loss of signal. If that is to just hover then you can at least mess with their guidance for a bit until they get Leary of getting close to you.

That’s called barrage jamming and I doubt it would work, but yes I’d assume if you could then most would return home.
Digital brings in a whole other world if you will in jamming etc. how often have you heard interference and had signals come and go in your cell phone?
I even have a cheap little drone, it’s a clone of a bugs2 I believe, and it is dual GPS and if it loses signal or the transmitter quits it will rerun to its launch site.
I very quickly lost interest in the thing, I grew up flying model aircraft and have done so off and on forever. But you don’t fly a drone, you just direct it, takes zero skill, and therefore isn’t interesting to me.

One guy kept flying one around during Georgetown’s Regatta. It was annoying, and they were they annoying type of people, we have all seen them, annoying and loud and seek to be the center of attention, but I’ve seen nearly zero drones where I cruise, I believe I’ve seen more PPC’s and Ultralights than drones.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0166.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	204857
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 15:12   #84

Boat: Whitby 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Heck, I remember when people used to dress up to fly.

Really showing your age.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 15:15   #85

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Really showing your age.

Old 11-12-2019, 16:37   #86

None of them interest me. All pretty boring.

When I used to travel to many far flung interesting places. I tried pretty hard not to be mistaken for a tourist.
Why? Changes how you interact with the locals.
I used a camera sometimes. I preferred not to carry one. Camera changes things.
Sometimes I was somewhere I really wanted pictures. So I took a camera.
Sometimes I wish I had taken a camera.
Today I don’t go anywhere interesting enough anyone would care about the pictures or videos I take for my own enjoyments.

Makes a difference how you trust the locals.
Take a picture to show folks back home the horrible mud hut someone lives in. Will give an impression.

Take a picture to show how nice a place is will give a different impression.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 16:45   #87

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

So what’s with the hate with being identified as a tourist?

Or do we prefer the term “visitor” or something?

I mean most here are middle aged or older mid to upper class well spoken white guys, you’re going to stick out unless you’re just going places where there are lots of people who look and sound like you, the gigs up man! Lol
I’d wager if you’re just nice and semi generous and thankful that’s all that matters, camera & fanny pack or not
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 17:25   #88
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
I mean most here are middle aged or older mid to upper class well spoken white guys, you’re going to stick out unless you’re just going places where there are lots of people who look and sound like you, the gigs up man! Lol
I’d wager if you’re just nice and semi generous and thankful that’s all that matters, camera & fanny pack or not

No point pretending that you can blend in, you're obvious from 100's of metres away. Treat people like they are friends of your brother or something and the world will be a slightly better place.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 17:52   #89

Quote:
So what’s with the hate with being identified as a tourist?

Or do we prefer the term “visitor” or something?

I didn’t say hate, your word not mine.

Preferred not to be mistaken as a tourist. Obviously I wasn’t there as a tourist.
I was working there. Which is different.
I just found I was treated differently, off course many of the places I went. Tourists wouldn’t go. Many places tourists go. I never had a reason to go.
In the few places I went, where tourists went. I found attitudes changed when the locals realized I was working.

My point was actually about camera changing things.
When you are working you don’t usually have a camera.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 18:00   #90

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

We use a camera to get group pics of us with the locals, mostly youngsters because we then go back to the boat, download, print and return glossy photos to the participants. We usually do this after sharing something to eat or repairing a generator or solar setup that hasn’t been working for a time or repairing buildings damaged in earlier storms. Very rewarding and the folks, especially the kids, love the pictures.

We have several islands in Fiji where we’re “life members” of the village for the technical help we have provided. How do they remember us? Mostly because of the pictures they have/keep.

But that’s not vlogging - I’d not heard that term until this thread.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass