Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2022, 08:34   #1

Dealing with Paper Checks...

One of my clients decided to pay me with a paper check after promising a bank transfer. Argh.

The problem is... the check in at my mail service in Florida, and I am in the eastern Caribbean. My mail service can scan the check, but there is no way to get that image into my bank's mobile deposit system without the physical check in hand.

I could print the scan of the check, and then use that to send the image to the bank.

Since I am sure this has come up for many people here before, does this work without triggering security issues on the deposit?

Or maybe I am missing a magic trick?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:28   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Dealing with Paper Checks...

I’ve never tried it, but if you can get a high resolution color scan of the front and back it should work just fine.

Next time I am given a check I’ll give it a shot myself.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:40   #3

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Contact your client and request that he send a bank transfer as was originally agreed.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:41   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Haven’t seen a personal cheque in 10 years.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:44   #5

Boat: Flamingo 42

It work's sometime not all the time. When the check was accepted by the bank no problem. We had someone take a photo of the check front and back and send it to us. We printed the back endorse it and did a mobile deposit.
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svRaison d Etre View Post
It work's sometime not all the time. When the check was accepted by the bank no problem. We had someone take a photo of the check front and back and send it to us. We printed the back endorse it and did a mobile deposit.
Thanks for the constructive comments. I figure it's worth a try.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:11   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Certainly round here that would be regarded as fraud !!
Old 08-10-2022, 12:19   #8

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Quote:
This works well enough on the rare occasions I receive paper checks. I have had my friends watching the mailbox send me photos of checks in the mail so I could do this. Make sure everything goes through then have the check shredded to prevent future problems. The only issue I have experienced is that sometimes the banks don't like it if your internet connection says you're in a different country. Tor or VPN can work around that.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 13:25   #9

Boat: Hunter 38

My mailbox service, traveling mailbox, will deposit a check for me. They have done so to both my business and personal accounts in amounts including 10’s of thousands.

I’m surprised your service doesn’t offer it
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 13:32   #10

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
One of my clients decided to pay me with a paper check after promising a bank transfer. Argh.

The problem is... the check in at my mail service in Florida, and I am in the eastern Caribbean. My mail service can scan the check, but there is no way to get that image into my bank's mobile deposit system without the physical check in hand.

I could print the scan of the check, and then use that to send the image to the bank.

Since I am sure this has come up for many people here before, does this work without triggering security issues on the deposit?

Or maybe I am missing a magic trick?
I have sent a deposit slip to a friend who picked up the check and took both check and deposit slip to a branch of my bank. They had no problems accepting the deposit, particularly since the payee on the check was the same name as on the deposit slip. My friend endorsed the back of the check with their name and the words: For Fredrick Roswold

Check are still in wide use, something over 15 billion annually in the US. Roughly 64% of millennials use checks for payment. I write one occasionally for payment.
Old 08-10-2022, 13:48   #11

Boat: Flamingo 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
. The only issue I have experienced is that sometimes the banks don't like it if your internet connection says you're in a different country. Tor or VPN can work around that.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I did not think of that . I did have problem in a other country
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 13:51   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

Several options, if getting them to do a bank transfer won't work.
In the US, there is a law that banks don't need a physical check, that an image is ok. Many banks have an app that lets you take a picture of a check and deposit it that way. However, I'm not sure it will work if you print an image of the check and take a picture of that. Most checks have safety features and will print with "VOID" across them. But you can try.

Someone at the mail forwarding service could install the app, you give them your password, and they could do it.

Or, ask them to physically deposit it into your account. Maybe they will do it for a fee.
Old 08-10-2022, 14:15   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
...Someone at the mail forwarding service could install the app, you give them your password, and they could do it...
And a lot more.

But really, most banks now use two levels of authentication, often they send a text message to your phone which has to be entered into the app. Which is one reason that it is sometimes difficult to do this verification from overseas. In my case the sms do not come through.

Well if you get it you could tell the mailbox company what it is, and you might as well just transfer all you funds to the mailbox staff member because at that point he has the entire keys to your account, Hmmm? What could go wrong?
Old 08-10-2022, 17:32   #14

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
And a lot more.

But really, most banks now use two levels of authentication, often they send a text message to your phone which has to be entered into the app. Which is one reason that it is sometimes difficult to do this verification from overseas. In my case the sms do not come through.

Well if you get it you could tell the mailbox company what it is, and you might as well just transfer all you funds to the mailbox staff member because at that point he has the entire keys to your account, Hmmm? What could go wrong?
Since it isn't obvious to everyone, yes this is only an option with those you trust.
Old 08-10-2022, 18:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Certainly round here that would be regarded as fraud !!
That is nonsense. Photos of checks are used all the time to make deposits.