Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2023, 15:46   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Trolling from sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
... It seems I am missing something, that others have likely solved. Anyone out there have a photo or diagram showing the attachment to the boat?
Thread a sling of ~ 1/4-inch line through the center, about 16" long, luggage tag it around the yoyo if you like, and clip that to something using a wire gate climbing carabiner. Been using this method for 20 years. I also use the sling as an axle when the line is running out when deploying.

You can also leave yoyos on unused winches. Very secure.

When storing yoyos, rigged with lure, leader, and weight, I wrap the lure to the yoyo with Velcro One-wrap. This trick REALLY cuts down on storage tangles. I keep the slings, carabiners, and release clips hanging on the side of the yoyo bucket (I run as many as 6 with short outriggers--a 16-foot beam also helps).

As for a release clip, not the outrigger release clip shown above, but down-rigger or planer board clips, like this:
Old 17-07-2023, 18:23   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Is there a color that barracuda dont like? [emoji41]
Hmmnn...

no!

But i wish I had known all the Cuda I caught on the way to Exumas could have been sold or traded in Bahamas.

I threw so many back.
JArcherM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 06:29   #48

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Perry View Post
savior is totally correct with a few modifications. (a) Lure:- Use only a Huntingfield 2 1/2" drone, which is a low speed lure. (b) solid swivel. (c) 50 metres of s/s steel flexible trace. (d) solid swivel. (e) 100 metres (or more) of venetian blind cord and all on a good quality large hand reel. The venetian cord acts as a superb shock cord. If the fish is hard to retrieve just let it hang on the line until it looses all of its fight and it will be an easy retrieval.
I have been using this rig since 1975 and it has never let me down.
Beaut memories of some of the fish that I have caught. Good fishing!!
Does the blind cord retain water? Are there issues with it mouldering, or smelling, or similar?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 06:35   #49

Thanks for all the good ideas on the handline.

wholybee,

That's a yellowfin tuna. Blackfin don't get that big.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 19:35   #50
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Buy this book if you are into fishing: The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing

Covers everything about different options of hand lines, yo-yos, rod and reel combos, reels mounted on rails etc. And talks a lot about techniques too. There is more than you will probably ever want to know about fishing, super valuable!

I have tried both hand lines and rod and reels and caught fish with both. The answer depends on a bit on if you like fishing or just trying to put food on the table with the least amount of complexity and cost. We only catch fish for eating but I really like fishing as an activity, so rod and reel make it much more enjoyable for me. We troll from the boat under sail, I go out fishing on the dighy, jig at anchor etc. Also built a DIY trolling setup on the dinghy (we troll mostly for salmon here). I ended up having three different reels and it is worth for me! But a hand-line is much easier, smaller and convenient if you are looking to casually troll a line when underway. If you get a rod, get a two piece shorter one around 6-7 ft (2 meters), will be much easier to store! I only mounted a reel to the rails for a makeshift downrigger, wouldn’t be my preferred option. Nothing beats the simplicity of a handline and fun of a rod and reel, I wouldn’t personally go for anything in between.

Tags
sail, sailboat