Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2016, 14:46   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Trolling from sailboat

Got nuthin' against a rod, but mostly I catch stripped bass and blues, so there is no need. I troll as many as 5 lines, and 5 heavy rods would be too much to store. 5 yo-yos fit in a small bucket. I can also leave the yo-yos pre-rigged with sinkers and 15' leaders, impossible with rods.

• Handling the line. There is NO CHANCE of cutting your hands if you do it properly, using the yo-yo to wind the line, just like a kite string. Your back-up hand is only guiding the line. Mono is fine.
  • Use a lot of line, at least 150-200 feet. That is what takes the impact.
  • Don't be in a hurry. The fish will tire a good bit if you just keep sailing at the same time. Wait 2 minute before slowing down if it is a big fish.
  • When you first start bringing in the fish, if the line goes light he is coming toward you. Speed up and run up the side deck.
  • When he gets close, remember that your arm is the pole. Keep the slack out, and let him run if you must.
Old 20-07-2016, 14:53   #17

Guess the question is are you fishing for sport or for meat?

Poor people the world over who fish for meat use handlines and heavy cord. Not much sport in using a winch to reel em in.

Nothing wrong with reels and rods if your fishing for sport. They cost money though. Can break. Hard to break a yoyo. Saw a guy once using a kiddie bicycle wheel rim.

Great book for cruisers wishing to fish-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	369
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	128146  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 14:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Hey what kind of wood is that cockpit sole(?) made from?
Old 20-07-2016, 16:11   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Depends on what you're trying to catch. There's no way I could have caught this 18kg tuna the other day without my Penn International II 80STW reel and big game rod. It was easy.

Dragging a line attached with just a spool of line would have been hopeless, resulting most likely in a broken line and lost 20 euro lure.
Ken, that's just silly. Lots of us use hand lines and manage to land fish that size. What we do isn't sport fishing, and it has no cachet of landing big fish on small tackle, but for sure it works and it can be done without the gear that you say is indispensable.

Jim
Old 20-07-2016, 17:04   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Trolling from sailboat

People have for thousands of years been landing big fish with hand lines, didn't you read Old Man and the Sea when you were a kid?
The story may be fiction, but they really did fish like that, and may still for all I know, but in my case I used to fish, I had a Center Console and fishing and diving was what it was mostly about, I had six identical rod and reel combos like the one in the picture, five now, but still have several electric reels for bottom fishing and smaller tackle too, so I already had the equipment, and to me fighting a good fish is to a large extent what makes fishing worthwhile, now if it's just to get meat, maybe not, maybe then if I ever get there, I'll use a heavy hand line and just drag them until they are dead.
But I'll tell you ,when that big Wahoo hit and the reel started singing, I swear I could hear my dead Brother call "fish on"
That was his rod and reel , so I hope to fish with it for a long time.

Some of us enjoy fishing, and to us it's a lot more than a meal.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 17:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Hey what kind of wood is that cockpit sole(?) made from?
Red cedar treated with glycol borate, then varnished.
Old 20-07-2016, 18:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Red cedar treated with glycol borate, then varnished.
Looks great! While your decision may have been guided by weight concerns (mulithull mindset) or dollars (common sense), it makes me happy to see someone opt to use something other than teak on their deck.

I know the world is f****d and we are all going to die anyway and that we should all just get ours while we can before someone else does, but still, IMHO leave the poor teak trees alone! There's lots other species of wood that are suitable that happen to be sustainable for you to use on your friggin YACHT!

I made a cockpit sole using Georgia Teak (PT SYP) which is a little heavier than I might like but I left it unfinished and it has turned a nice silver color that still has a little bit of gold in it and really doesnt look unlike raw teak.

In fact it looks great, cost me a tenth the price of teak, and last time I heard the south had pine trees to spare. End of mini rant. Back to fishing...
Old 20-07-2016, 18:58   #23

Quote:
Looks great! While your decision may have been guided by weight concerns (mulithull mindset) or dollars (common sense), it makes me happy to see someone opt to use something other than teak on their deck.

I know the world is f****d and we are all going to die anyway and that we should all just get ours while we can before someone else does, but still, IMHO leave the poor teak trees alone! There's lots other species of wood that are suitable that happen to be sustainable for you to use on your friggin YACHT!

I made a cockpit sole using Georgia Teak (PT SYP) which is a little heavier than I might like but I left it unfinished and it has turned a nice silver color that still has a little bit of gold in it and really doesn't look unlike raw teak.

In fact it looks great, cost me a tenth the price of teak, and last time I heard the south had pine trees to spare. End of mini rant. Back to fishing...
Weight and $$. Weight ~ $20/pound for me, but I am also not working, trying to spread money thin. This helps both. Also an expereiment. I've been using glycol borate for totem poles for some years and find it VERY effective. In fact, it is something like PT, since I soaked it for 3 weeks.

Georgia teak. Cute, hadn't heard that one before.
Old 20-07-2016, 20:27   #24

My sole. I was in a bit of a rush at the time I made it so used what I could get local but had been looking at some nice vertical grain KDAT for a little more $$$.

Several years later I am very happy with it and would do it again the same. Don't recall exactly but don't think I spent more than a hundred bucks on the project. It is pretty heavy though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	128157  
Old 20-07-2016, 21:14   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

As to wood for boats, I think that the teak worship thing is a case of most people not knowing any better. As there are hundreds of species out there which work great for boats. But we all know how that goes, sadly.

On fishing. Might want to read this thread on the topic at hand http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-q-168466.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 21:17   #26

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We use weed whacker line, nylon trimmer line? It stretches a lot, and fights the fish for you.
We have an Alvey reel mounted permanently, although a Yoyo is probably better as you can stow it.
Very reasonable and bulletproof...

Product Categories Side Cast Reels
Old 22-07-2016, 23:30   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I use a Cuban Yoyo with 130 lbs. spedtra braid tuna line. Attach the Yoyo to the stern pulpit with a bungie or surgical tubing. Can use a winch to haul in a fish if you want.
Yup...got turned onto this in 2013. Easy, stowable, cheap and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Depends on what you're trying to catch. There's no way I could have caught this 18kg tuna the other day without my Penn International II 80STW reel and big game rod. It was easy.

Dragging a line attached with just a spool of line would have been hopeless, resulting most likely in a broken line and lost 20 euro lure.
I would have to sharply disagree.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 00:35   #28

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Yep, I use a hand reel, 300lb mono, with a stainless trace. Heavy Shock cord, mono tied off to stern cleat. Landed all sorts of fish, the best being over 6 ft (1.8m) and a damn site more than 18 kg. Towed him for about 10 mins at 8 or 9 knots, then managed to get the line onto a primary winch. The fish will plane on the surface, making it easier to bring them in than if they are still swimming. I use the alcohol in the gills method to quiet them :-)
Rods and reels are for sport fishing....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-07-2016, 01:49   #29

Boat: Island Packet 40

One of the tricks in using the hand reel on large fish is to take a few wraps around a winch and, use the pawled winch drum to hold the line whilst you wind the retrieved line onto the hand reel. When you have the line wound onto the reel you can use both hands on the reel and put your back or legs into the next retrieve.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 02:35   #30

Boat: Herreshoff H36 12.8m

savior is totally correct with a few modifications. (a) Lure:- Use only a Huntingfield 2 1/2" drone, which is a low speed lure. (b) solid swivel. (c) 50 metres of s/s steel flexible trace. (d) solid swivel. (e) 100 metres (or more) of venetian blind cord and all on a good quality large hand reel. The venetian cord acts as a superb shock cord. If the fish is hard to retrieve just let it hang on the line until it looses all of its fight and it will be an easy retrieval.
I have been using this rig since 1975 and it has never let me down.
Beaut memories of some of the fish that I have caught. Good fishing!!
Ray Perry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat