Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2023, 07:55   #1

Boat: Northwest 21 & Islander 36 (too many boats problem)
Inflatable cockpit cushions?

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried an inflatable cockpit cushion solution for cruising. We cruised before with 4" thick foam covered in outdoor fabric, and they were great for sitting at anchor. The downside was they took up lots of space when stowed and always slid around when heeled over, plus the foam and fabric were expensive.

As I sit here idly dreaming on my couch at home, I'm wondering if it might serve to cut/weld a rugged inflatable hiking pad to size and use that as a cockpit cushion instead. It'd have to be one of the thicker ones, and it may not work because one's butt would be a single point of weight rather than the more even distribution of laying out, but it sure would be nice to be able to just deflate and stow when not in use, and it'd be a lot cheaper than foam. Any experience from you all out there?
Old 18-07-2023, 10:33   #2

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Re: Inflatable cockpit cushions?

I really like the storage part of your idea. Mine get lots of wear and tear, so that's a concern. The other concern is they will be very light and will eventually blow away off the boat, the snaps holding them can be easily dislodged.
Idk, it might work fine for many most of the time.
Worth a try.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 10:46   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Are they called whoopee cushions?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 11:21   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I use inflatable cushions from inflatable kayak seats, and they are great. Easy to dry so you don't have to sit on a cold, wet, hard cushion in the morning and especially nice as back rests against the cockpit coaming too. And of course they are easy to stow, which is a plus on a small boat. My foam cushions still have their place, I'm not throwing them out yet!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 11:42   #5

I ve seen "stadium seats" used as moveable pads for the cockpit. Cheap and easy to stow. Can be laid flat to cover more seat area. Yeah they're going to blow around, but you could just tie a safety line on them that clips somewhere.

Tags
cockpit, cushions, inflatable