Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2011, 05:11   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Skipper's Qualifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Thanks again, --- Anybody from AUS, NZ, or Canada.?
OK, in AUS, each state has it's own regulations but they are somewhat similar.

In Western Australia, the skipper of the boat must hold Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST) IF the boat is fitted with an engine of greater than 4.5KW (6HP).

They say it is not a license as such, rather it's a certificate of competency for recreational boaters. Most training organizations charge around $120 for an RST

There are some other minor aspects, such as a person under the age of 10 can't drive any powered recreational vessel, either alone or under supervision and a person aged between 14 and 16 cannot be at the wheel (helm) of a boat that is fitted with an engine that exceeds 4.5 kilowatts (6 HP)) unless they hold an RST. Restrictions also apply to this age group - vessels may be operated only during daylight hours and at a maximum speed of 8 knots.

No requirement to lodge a float plan but it is encouraged to lodge one with a local Volunteer Coast Guard.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 05:26   #17

Boat: departure 35

Texas requires a boaters safety course for younger people.
Copied this from texas parks and wildlife site:

SL 2. Age Restrictions
A person under 18 years of age may not operate any motorboat greater than 10
horsepower or a sailboat over 14 feet in length unless accompanied by a person at
least 18 years of age or older. An operator 13 years of age and older may operate
any vessel with out adult supervision if he or she has successfully passed a boating
safety course approved by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

SL 3. Boater Safety Education Requirements
A successfully completed Texas Parks and Wildlife-certified boater education course
and photo I.D. are required for any person born on or after September 1, 1984 and
under 18 years of age to operate either a vessel powered by motor of 10 horsepower
or more or a windblown vessel greater than 14 feet in length on the public waters of
the State of Texas.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:58   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander1 View Post
Unfortunately, some of the Sail/Power Training Establishments have become a bit like PADI "PutAnotherDollarIn" certifications with money required for many steps and manuals having to be purchased because the Instructors certifications are particular to each manual, meaning you can't get away with borrowing one and going on to get certified. This has encouraged many to leapfrog over some of the certifications.
Regarding diving, SDI IMHO do just as fine a job, my son did his Open Water with PADI and then his advanced with SDI no worries and far less costs involved. Sorry, I appreciate it's away from the thread but those interested in diving may find this link of interest.
PADI v SDI: a comparison of their approach and marketing
Are you suggesting that my PADI qualifications (up to Advanced level ) are somehow compromised by me never having learnt to swim? Nor having completed any of the PADI course that required more than going down, going up and bumbling along under water (I probably killed 20% of the Great Barrier Reef ).

Or that other training organisations (whatever subject) may adopt the same "constructive" business model to issuing certificates for those waving money at them..........I'm truly shocked that such business practices would exist
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:05   #19

Quote:
Thanks again, --- Anybody from AUS, NZ, or Canada.?
In Canada a Pleasure Craft Operator's Card is necessary to operate any power-driven vessel. The assessment is a written exam.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Are you suggesting that my PADI qualifications (up to Advanced level ) are somehow compromised by me never having learnt to swim? Nor having completed any of the PADI course that required more than going down, going up and bumbling along under water (I probably killed 20% of the Great Barrier Reef ).

Or that other training organisations (whatever subject) may adopt the same "constructive" business model to issuing certificates for those waving money at them..........I'm truly shocked that such business practices would exist
Very Sorry David; Maybe I crossed some wires? Please, I am in no way suggesting anything any which way at all neg' with PADI, the exception being that when my Lad went to go for his advanced Diver; SDI offered courses that did not involve having to "Buy a Manual" to be able to receive certification. Personally I believe that for recreational diving, the PADI Manual is among, if not the best, for idiots like me to DO IT...
Do plse' check out the Link in my previous comm' which was forwarded to me by a British Sub Aqua Club Diver; a tougher criteria I challenge anyone to find.
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 11:58   #21
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Any New Zealand registered recreational vessel must pass Cat 1 before customs clearance will be issued for departure. Cat one encompasses all vessel safety requirements including stability etc. as well as crew competence. No formal qualifications needed but you must satisfy the inspector as to your ability. Cat 1 is usually accomplished up to 1 month out from departure and any subsequent crew changes must be approved by the original inspector or a new inspection carried out.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 12:17   #22

Boat: Nothing yet

I stand under correction, but in South Africa you have to have a certificate for the type of sailing you want to do. There is a day skipper certificate, then a coastal certificate, then offshore and finally ocean. I think there might even be separate one for local sailing on dams etc. Not too sure.

Also not sure what's the difference between offshore and ocean but I have heard references to both.

I know there are some other forum members from sunny RSA so they may well be able to correct me if any of the above is not accurate.

Life is like a poker game. If you don't win, you lose.
Still Hopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 13:19   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
In the United States, "Skipper" is a nickname holding no real authority with the government. It means, usually, the person who owns the boat and is by default, the one in charge.

We also use the word "captain" that loosely, but it also has a legal definition meaning certain coursework and levels of experience. To operate a personal watercraft the owner is not required to have any kind of license except at lest in one state (Florida, the only one I'm fammiliar with), if one is under 21, in which case one must have taken a state safety course. I took it anyway (trust me, I'm over 21!) but it was extremely basic and there was no "holding the tiller" or "behind the wheel" test.

Commerically it'a a whole other story and others can explain it better than me.
That has been my definition. Skipper, an unlicensed boat operator. Captain, a licensed boat operator. I don't think there is an official definition that most people agree on.

It would be interesting to see how others see it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:29   #24

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hopefull
I stand under correction, but in South Africa you have to have a certificate for the type of sailing you want to do. There is a day skipper certificate, then a coastal certificate, then offshore and finally ocean. I think there might even be separate one for local sailing on dams etc. Not too sure.

Also not sure what's the difference between offshore and ocean but I have heard references to both.

I know there are some other forum members from sunny RSA so they may well be able to correct me if any of the above is not accurate.
Yip - south africa is over the top!!!
Money making.
Day skippers, local waters, Coastal, offshore, masters.
Day skippers is the hardest - found local a total waste of time and coastal wasn't much different to day skippers. Apparently Coastal Sa is same level as RYA masters. Can't understand why the authorities are enforcing such strict regulation apart from the income each ticket generates for them.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 19:09   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hopefull View Post

Brit' RYA YachtMaster Ocean requires celestial navigation, satellite navigation systems, great circle sailing, meteorology and passage planning plus..
A person holding a Yachtmaster Ocean qualification is experienced and competent to skipper a yacht on passages of any length in all parts of the world...Plse' see link if interested.

Yachtmaster Ocean | Exams | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 19:20   #26

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

USA

All but a handful of states require a simple boating safety course, but in many states this requirement only applies to younger boat operators (born after a certain date or under a certain age). Operators with a commercial license and some others are exempt from the requirement. Canada also has a boating safety training requirement.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:55   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagos View Post
England none
Not quite. Want to leave the country in your boat and sail the seven seas, you will be filling in form 1331 then and handing it to Customs and Excise before you depart.

Also some local harbour or other authority regulations require insurance but in general quite a liberal approach to certification below 13.7m boat length and for personal use at the moment. However, the United States of Europe may have different ideas in the future for us. You wouldn't want all those Europeans having freedom

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Turkey:

-For anything above 5m, you need a certificate regardless you just go outside of the marina or circumnavigate. Recently, VHF operator certificate also has been mandatory. This is if you own the boat or the owner of the boat is onboard.
The exam is written test on the PC in a given place and time. One need to answer 40 out of 50 questions on line covering basic navigation and seamanship, first aid, mechanical/electric, fire fighting on board, etc..
-if you want to skipper a boat or the boat is bigger than 100 gross tons, then you need a yatch master which is very difficult to get.

For foreigners cruising in Turkey, one needs to have whatever minimum certificate is required in his own country. The same is also valid for bareboat chartering in Turkey.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 15:25   #29

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Skipper's qualifications

Quote:
Thanks so far guys. Anybody from AUS, N.Zealand, Europe, Scandinavia,
Japan, and on and on, ! ??
Here is the NZ regs for NZ registered vessels. Foreign flagged vessels are excempt as of 2003.

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/Upload/...ling_09-12.pdf

The regs are exhaustive but could be used as a guide for offshore preparations.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02   #30

in France:
If you're on your own recreational boat (sail or power), the homeland flag regulation is applied (f.i. Belgian people don't need any permit or qualification in Belgium, so they don't need in France)
Pupuce (yachtmaster instructor)
pupuce is offline   Reply With Quote