Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 09:02   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Screwdriver Set. Whats best in USA?

This might sound a strange request...

My battle weary screwdrivers have lasted me 8 years and were the cheapest cobbled together set from scrap heaps and my own home toolbox. The orange one in the photo I had with my first car when I was 17. Thats 5 years ago!

I want to get a GOOD HIGH QUALITY new set of about 6, standard screwdrivers, flat and Phillips head.
Particularly the Phillips heads corrode at sea.

As i havent bought new good ones ever, I dont know what brands I shoulf be looking at.

Your advice would be appreciated. No, i am not after 136 screwdriver set for $3.85.

Thanky Tool Boys.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	130712  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:09   #2

Boat: F&C 44
Re: Screwdriver Set. Whats best in USA?

This:

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:26   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Snap On Tools. Call a truck and see if he stops near you somewhere.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:26   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

Snap On is arguably one of the best but you're going to pay WAAAYYYY too much for them.

Personally I like/own Craftsman brand you can get at any Sears store. Pricing is reasonable and quality is still excellent. They also have many different size sets available. You can get a small set of just a couple or a large set with a lot of screwdrivers.

They also sell them individually but it is more expensive that way.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:30   #5

There are several. The best have hardened tips. It's pretty evident if you look closely. Cant tell you brands but the ones I have that have held up real well have a black rubbery handle and orange end on the handle.
I don't know anything about this particular brand but you can see the hardened tips on these for an example:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AK4933.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	130714  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:39   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

This is what I have, both down on the campo and on the boat, https://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-...r-set_p6061822

Made by real Mexicans in real Mexico..

They have Bunnings in NY, yes?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
This might sound a strange request...

My battle weary screwdrivers have lasted me 8 years and were the cheapest cobbled together set from scrap heaps and my own home toolbox. The orange one in the photo I had with my first car when I was 17. Thats 5 years ago!

I want to get a GOOD HIGH QUALITY new set of about 6, standard screwdrivers, flat and Phillips head.
Particularly the Phillips heads corrode at sea.

As i havent bought new good ones ever, I dont know what brands I shoulf be looking at.

Your advice would be appreciated. No, i am not after 136 screwdriver set for $3.85.

Thanky Tool Boys.

Mark

I wouldn't have guessd you any older than 20
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:42   #8

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Don't know brand names but most annoying is the handle that feels too small. Unless I'm dry walling I only use made in Canada Robertson The Chinese ones are only close to right size on both ends and the screws are crap too.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've had a set of Craftsman stainless screwdrivers aboard VALIS for about fifteen years now and they still look and work like new. Well, I am missing one that got "borrowed", but other than that... I guess stainless isn't as hard as some others, but the tips have held up fine.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:51   #10

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Snap On screwdrivers are great quality, but not really worth the extra cost IMHO. That, and as I usually have hand tools in my hands everyday, I don't find them that comfortable in my hands. Craftsman is what I prefer, not the professional series mind you (good, but not a good hand fit), but the traditional classic ones that are red, clear, with the blue handle ends. Don't know if Sears still has it, but there used to be a lifetime guarantee on their screwdrivers (used to be a tool lifespan of 25 years). I currently have 5 Phillips (clear handles) that are in need of replacement after 15-years of constant use and 12 standard screwdrivers needing replacement that probably range between 12 and 18 years of age. I also have wire strippers and side-cutters in the same age range and are still going strong. I work in the boat and yacht repair industry so my tools get daily use. My "junk" tools would still work well for the "occassional" repair, but not good enough for me for the job I do. My father told me that a man's work is only as good his tools....as a teenager I thought he was stupid, turns out he was a pretty smart guy (you know what Cannon/phenolic plugs are? Well, my father was the supervisor of the engineering team that initially designed them for the Apollo space program back in the early 60's. But that's another story for another forum.)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:53   #11

Budget permitting, I buy my tools from park tools. They're focused on cycling but I've found their tools are reliable and many cycling and marine concerns are similar.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:05   #12

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Klein, and nothing else. You won't ever be disappointed. You can purchase them at Home Depot (at least in Canada you can)
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06   #13

I will "ditto" Craftsman for excellent quality tools at very reasonable prices. Buy them at Sears, online, or at many K-Mart stores.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:11   #14

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I like these. That have a marine version that's more rust resistant. Made in Canada, and you always have the right screwdriver with you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1473181775142.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	130717  
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I like these. That have a marine version that's more rust resistant. Made in Canada, and you always have the right screwdriver with you.

this is the only thing I use. I hate screwdriver sets. I always have the one I need in my hand, plus they pull out and go into the drill.

plus then the rest of the world gets the experience of the canadian robertson bit LOL... you'll never use a philips screw again.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew