Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2007, 19:33   #1

Boat: c&c landfall 43
nonskid whats best?

I need to redo the nonskid on the decks im looking for something easy by that im mean buy the cans sand and clean the surface and paint on. i did see a thread awhile ago and there were alot of different ways but is there anyone that has used something like kiwi grip or another brand name? not looking for something like the glue down paterns any help would be great cheers
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 19:41   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
we use Ultra Tuff UT 100F and really, really like it.

Ultra TUFF Marine - Home Page

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 19:59   #3

Boat: now floating easy37
we used a 2 pak paint with an additive that swelled up in contact with the paint and just rolled it on, came up great a little bit hard on the feet though
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 20:21   #4

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
We used a real fine silica sand. Mixed it in the epoxy primer then painted the LP on top of it. You could hardly feel it on your bare feet but your feet stick like glue and will not slip. I highly recommend it. Looks good and feels good on your feet.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 20:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
My favorite is the finer of the two grades of "sand" that Awlgrip sells. I have never slipped on that stuff. The coarse is too uncomfortable on the bare skin.

I tried Skid-No-More for a few years. It's a latex with ground up chunks of tire. Don't bother...it does not last long, looks like crap real fast and its hell to remove. It took me days and days to remove it

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 20:31   #6

Boat: c&c landfall 43
thanks for the replies that ultra tuff looks good because i am looking for something easy to apply no mixing or additives. just sent an email to the company . Im not sure where you can purchase the stuff. chuck where did you get it? cheers
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 03:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Ultra Tuff products are available in Canada from:
Sure-Grip Systems Inc.
Box 26025
Red Deer, AB T4N 6X7
(877) 912.7677

Ultra Tuff Application Manual: http://www.sure-grip.ca/documents/UT...ion-Manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 03:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Getting the sand too coarse is quite painful should you fall and slide. It can peel the skin off. I was on a boat where they used beach sand and that is exactly what happened to the captain who applied it. Nasty looking wound!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 08:59   #9

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Hemple, none slip deck paint.
never had a problem with it, but ok, we did only need small amounts.

Steve
Old 27-12-2007, 10:43   #10

Ditto what Dave said. We very much like the Awlgrip finish. Good non skid property but not so much that it leave chunks of skin behind. Like when you son pops all the wraps off the winch and 3000 sq ft of kite drags you down the deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
My favorite is the finer of the two grades of "sand" that Awlgrip sells. I have never slipped on that stuff. The coarse is too uncomfortable on the bare skin.

I tried Skid-No-More for a few years. It's a latex with ground up chunks of tire. Don't bother...it does not last long, looks like crap real fast and its hell to remove. It took me days and days to remove it
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 10:51   #11

Boat: Catalina 30
Interesting...so are the Awlgrip and Ultra Tuff UT 100F simply different brands of the same type of product? Can somone compare/contrast them?

Also, the deck I am needing to paint is the 1983 vintage Catalina non skid fiberglass surface, the diagonal lines molded into the glass...simply painting (ex: interlux) can partially fill what little traction bumps there are in the glass, so I'm wondering if a non skid surface like this would work on that deck. My non skid needs painting anyway but most people just paint the non skid, leaving it more slippery.. your thoughts?
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:05   #12
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
You are definitely better off adding some non-skid particles to the paint - the original molded pattern will, as you suggest, partially fill with the new paint. I have used awlgrip in the past with griptex (I believe that was the proprietary name of their non-skid particles) and think you should be just fine with interlux and their own brand of particles (generally quite cheap and little required). Even with interluxI would recommend their 2-part polyurethane - it will prove much more durable than a one part and is not that much more difficult to apply, especially to largely horizontal surfaces. I applied awlgrip to a well-cleaned non-skid on a previous boat and didn't even have to use a primer or bonding coat. It worked perfectly and was still holding up when I sold her 6 years later.

Interlux is claiming easier owner application with some of their new 2 part products, although if one reads the instructions it seems anything but easy. Of course, to some extent I suspect they merely want to cover their butts with a description of working conditions that virtually nobody without a painting booth could possibly adhere to (small humidity/temperature ranges, absence of dust, absence of direct sunlight etc.).

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 13:01   #13

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Soft Sand

I have two methods in consideration for non skid on my boat the second is allot of work but permanent except painting deck paint as it wears.

I am considering using Soft Sand SoftPoint Industries - SoftSand Rubber Particles a rubber deck paint additive as it is not as hard on the skin as silica. You can add it into your deck paint of choice.

The other method in consideration is either using glass bubbles thicken in epoxy or vynlester resin, it gets mixed into a mayonnaise consistency troweled onto the deck then rolled with a nappy roller to produce a texture surface. Then paint on top of that with deck paint of choice.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 13:50   #14

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchaser2304 View Post
Interesting...so are the Awlgrip and Ultra Tuff UT 100F simply different brands of the same type of product? Can somone compare/contrast them?

Also, the deck I am needing to paint is the 1983 vintage Catalina non skid fiberglass surface, the diagonal lines molded into the glass...simply painting (ex: interlux) can partially fill what little traction bumps there are in the glass, so I'm wondering if a non skid surface like this would work on that deck. My non skid needs painting anyway but most people just paint the non skid, leaving it more slippery.. your thoughts?
When we did ours, we added the fine silica sand (I think that it was Awlgrip) to the primer coat. We taped off the non-textured parts (diagonal lines) of the deck first. Applied the silica/primer to the textured parts of the deck. We then removed the tape and applied the LP paint to the entire deck. We used a paint roller, followed closely with a fine varnish brush (to remove the roller marks). You couldn't tell that it wasn't sprayed. There wasn't even any orange peel effect.

I have fallen on the deck (on my knees) numerous times and never received a rash from the silica. You couldn't even feel it when you run your hand over the surface but when you walk on it, you won't slip.

The areas that we taped off and did not apply the silica had a brighter sheen to them then the textured areas.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 14:52   #15

Boat: Endeavour E40
I just used INTERDECK from INTERLUX last week on High Cotton..... turned out beautiful!
I originally bought the "beige" but not a good color, too "orangey"...... boat next to me just used the grey, looks like "battleship grey", too dark.
So what I did was buy 4 quarts of white and took it to Sherwin Williams where they dropped in a little brown combo and it turned out perfect.
Give it a shot, you won'r regret it.
It has fine sand mixed in, by the way.....
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote