Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2022, 19:22   #1

Boat: Tartan 372
Propane conversion

I’m converting my galley to propane and was wondering if the solenoid (cut-off) switch was generally on the switch panel or separate? My older CNG system did not have any cut-off installed other then the hand valve. Any advice?
Old 21-05-2022, 19:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Propane conversion

Yes. Put the switch where it is easy to reach it as you back away from an OMG grease fire on the stove. I put mine just above the galley fire extinguisher, which in turn is on the way to exiting the boat.

It's think how you will use it in a worst case scenario.

Good luck with your conversion. I love our propane stove/oven.
Old 22-05-2022, 03:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The propane solenoid control valve is an electrically-controlled valve, that allows you to shut off the gas supply, from a remotely located switch [control panel].
The solenoid valve is located in the locker, with the propane tank.
The switch is located on a small panel, in the galley area, easily accessible, without reaching over the stove. It often has a red pilot light, to indicate when the propane solenoid is open.

See ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/sys...-dos-and-donts

And ➥ https://www.defender.com/pdf/400343_INSTALL.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 03:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

What I don't understand is: if the batteries are out, or discharged, how does the electrical solenoid work?
If a safety system absolutely requires electrical energy to work, how safe is it, given the vicissitudes of electricity and boats? What if you have the batteries disconnected for service and you need to boil a kettle?
A far better approach is to toss the solenoid and have a ball valve within easy reach to cut off the gas supply.
Old 22-05-2022, 03:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
What I don't understand is: if the batteries are out, or discharged, how does the electrical solenoid work?
If a safety system absolutely requires electrical energy to work, how safe is it, given the vicissitudes of electricity and boats? What if you have the batteries disconnected for service and you need to boil a kettle?
A far better approach is to toss the solenoid and have a ball valve within easy reach to cut off the gas supply.
Propane solenoid control valves fail to "off/closed". They're "normally closed", and held open electrically. Power goes off - propane goes off - "fail safe", but no cooking.

Old 22-05-2022, 03:40   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Great question Benz. I wonder this too.

As the solenoid always draws a minor current when 'open' then I assume loss of power will auto shut off, and so no boiling the billy when the batteries are off.

But. Would someone please give the actual low down, maybe test it on their boat.

Irrespective, you should still turn off the gas at the tank when not in use. Propane is such nasty stuff, especially on boats.
Old 22-05-2022, 03:51   #7

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

We have always had an electronic propane shutoff valve, a propane sniffer that will alarm and also switch off the propane and a carbon monoxide alarm, out of an abundance of caution. As a kid my father had an old gasoline powered motor cruiser and he instilled in me the dangers of flammable vapor collecting in the bilge.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 04:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Trident [#1300-7708.2-Kit, or #1300-7706.2-Kit] 12VDC Low Pressure Brass Solenoid has 1/4” FPT ports. Connects to the Regulator outlet port with reducing Hex nipple (included). Connect a Supply Hose to outlet port of Solenoid with 90º Flare Elbow (included).
Will not function with high pressure or low or no electric current. Draws 790 M.A.
https://tridentmarine.com/product/12.../#.YoofuVTMLIU

Old 22-05-2022, 07:29   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

As said above, the switch should be adjacent to the stove but not where you'd have to reach through the fire to turn it off. I put mine in the front of the cabinet next to the stove, level with the stove control knobs. Looks like it's part of the stove that way. There's also a breaker in the main electrical panel that supplies the system, the gas can be shut off from there as well. That's next to the companionway so it's on the way out of the boat of you have to run. Sometimes if I see the the switch was left on after cooking and I'm closer to the main panel than the stove, I'll just give the breaker a quick off - on and that will reset the switch to "off".
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 07:49   #10

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

In my setup we have a breaker switch on the DC dist panel which energizes the propane control panel, which in turn energizes the solenoid. If the DC panel switch is off, no power to the panel, no gas (as Gord said, fail safe).

Also, 2 things - first, if you have an Elec cooker and you lose power, you also can't cook, so Propane has no disadvantage there relative to electric. And second, if you have no power, you have way bigger problems than not being able to have a hot cuppa. Probably should keep some food on board which does not require cooking for use in such an emergency. We don't, but we should.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 07:51   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

This may help ...
Safe Boat Propane System Installation

email me at boatpoker@gmail.com and I'll respond with a copy of the ABYC Propane Standards.
Can't attach pdf files here for some reason.
Old 22-05-2022, 07:57   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Yes, the solenoid fails to closed - you have to supply power to keep it open.

The ball valve idea is not allowed under ABYC, because no fittings/junctions are allowed between the propane box and the appliance - one run of hose from the box, continuous, per appliance.
Old 23-05-2022, 02:59   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
In my setup we have a breaker switch on the DC dist panel which energizes the propane control panel, which in turn energizes the solenoid. If the DC panel switch is off, no power to the panel, no gas (as Gord said, fail safe).

Also, 2 things - first, if you have an Elec cooker and you lose power, you also can't cook, so Propane has no disadvantage there relative to electric. And second, if you have no power, you have way bigger problems than not being able to have a hot cuppa. Probably should keep some food on board which does not require cooking for use in such an emergency. We don't, but we should.
No one is advocating an electric cooker. I'm pointing out the failings of relying on electricity in order to run a system that otherwise doesn't require it. My boat has no batteries at all, and I cook safely and victoriously with propane. The system is dead simple, has no electric parts to malfunction (can a solenoid get stuck open? I'll bet it can), and in 12 years has given no trouble.
Old 23-05-2022, 03:02   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Yes, the solenoid fails to closed - you have to supply power to keep it open.

The ball valve idea is not allowed under ABYC, because no fittings/junctions are allowed between the propane box and the appliance - one run of hose from the box, continuous, per appliance.
Why people enslave themselves to the imbecile standards of the ABYC is beyond me--who cares what they "allow"? A ball valve designed for gas, properly installed and soap-bubble tested, is perfectly safe and reasonable.
Old 23-05-2022, 03:13   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Are ABYC rules the law or just guidance? Read something recently about batteries and Rod Collins saying ABYC is guidance.

Thankfully there are some countries that do allow a 1/4 turn valve in the gas line, we have one, though prefer to use the gas cylinder valve. This isn't a problem as we now use very little gas cooking, its more for redundancy.

Anyone for a bacon bap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	258192  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane