Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 19:16   #31

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Good Source for 1" foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'm looking for 1" foam. Can be whatever as long as it isn't friable. Making some doors.

Anyone have a good source?

I only need 5 sheets so nobody wants to sell it to me.

Also need 15 gallons of epoxy/hardener.

Where do you live or have I missed something?
Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 19:26   #32

Quote:

Fiberglass Supply Depot : Doesn't even have it! Googlin.......

Gulfstream composites has it but Joel doesn't want to bother with the order because it's too small. Note, he has it at the correct retail price of $155 a sheet.
Composites Onr has it but won't sell a tiny order of 5 sheets.
Maybe you have to front up to a manufacturer/jobber in your area and with $50 conspicuously in your hand offer to buy some off-cuts. I've found that usually gets good results here in Australia.

Clive
Old 01-12-2018, 19:32   #33

Quote:
What a bunch of dopes. Are the people after McDermitt drunk or just mentally impaired?

Jamestown : $324.02

Fiberglass Supply Depot : Doesn't even have it! Googling is awesome when you know nothing about a subject but at least READ or OPEN the page Google lists to confirm it's what you're looking for.

Gulfstream composites has it but Joel doesn't want to bother with the order because it's too small. Note, he has it at the correct retail price of $155 a sheet.

https://www.gulfstreamcomposites.com...n_4x8_each.htm

Composites Onr has it but won't sell a tiny order of 5 sheets.

I'm happy to have this thread closed down. After McDermitt, everyone is a dope here. Putting my own thread on ignore and spending another few hours trying to locate this material.

Don't let him upset you. (There's a few of them posting on these threads)

Just ignore him!

Clive
Old 03-12-2018, 06:49   #34

Boat: Byliner 3258

The foam you want is really not structural itself it is for thickness to get strength the same idea as a I beam. I have cut open tonneau truck covers and they used a honeycomb cardboard. I have used cardboard painted with resin and laminated to the thickness I wanted, and it worked good.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:21   #35

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

For your resins, yes, Fiberglass Coatings on the west coast, and Fiberglass Depot on the east coast (Ft. Pierce). Ditto fiberglass itself (if you're making doors I'd expect you're going to encapsulate it, no?).

As to foam, I'm not entirely certain of what you want, but...

You can get 1" styrofoam (I think epoxy attacks that; I'm not certain), as well as 1" or thicker 'blue' or 'pink' board (Dow Corning, and the other now escaping me, at home depot or lowes. Those are what I built my refrigerator from; they're quite rigid at those thicknesses (mine=2and4"), but not very heavy. Might not be in stock, but certainly can be ordered in without fuss...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:04   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

OP did clarify
Quote:
Ok. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Foam for boats. Airex, Divinycell, Corecell, Kledgecell, even balsa.

Making doors.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 20:28   #37
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Quote:
you can get 1" styrofoam (I think epoxy attacks that
Actually no, Epoxy works well with styrofoam. Polyester resins attack it. Home Depot, Lowes and other hardware type store sell polystyrene foams for insulation. They come in boards that vary in thickness. I have used the 2 inch stuff for foam flotation in boats. I encapsulate it in fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin. Works well. Keeps water out, so gas and other solvents (such as cleaners, petroleum based oils) can't attack it. Styrofoam is a trademarked brand name and is too friable. The other denser polystyrene foams used for insulation are not and are excellent for your purpose. They are easily cut with a knife to the right dimensions. Check out your local home repair stores.
Old 09-12-2018, 21:31   #38

Lowes has foil backed 1 inch . Best bang for your buck
alti804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 21:48   #39
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

XPS Extruded PolyStyrene is actual TM styrofoam, decent shear, tensile, and compressive strength for a foam intended for insulation. Waterproof without encapsulation.

Polyiso a bit less strong, also a bit more potentially absorbing of moisture, but better R-value as insulation (OT here I know, but so are all these wrt the OP's needs)

The white pebbly stuff Yanks **call** styrofoam is EPS Expanded Polystyrene, not structural at all, easily crumbles.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 23:34   #40

Quote:
Yes. Both the big sliding exterior doors (under a canopy where no rain touches them) as well as interior cabin doors.
Home Depot Insulation Isle.

What you describe doesn't need any special strength or water resistance. It just needs compatibility with epoxy.

How big are the doors that you need 15 gal of epoxy? If you are concerned about weight, 15 gal will weigh a lot. I'm betting you don't need more than 2-3 gal and in that case the local marine store is probably the easiest. (shipping can be an issue for chemicals).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote