Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 18:26   #1

Anyone familiar with LEDs from "Source LED" or nav lights from "Victory Products"?

I'm eyeing some of the nav lights on this ebay store: Lighting Fixtures, Navigation Lighting items in Boaterbits store on eBay! as they seem quite cheap, but I'm of course wary. Was wondering if anyone has bought any of his products, or is familiar with their manufacturers? He says they are manufactured by Victory products with bulbs from Source LED. A search didn't really turn up anything on these particular companies, but maybe I'm not searching right?
Alternatively, anyone want to point me to a reliable but cheap seller of nav lights (preferably LED)? Thanks!
calderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 19:22   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Anyone familiar with LEDs from "Source LED" or nav lights from "Victory Products"

I've bought a few things from boaterbits and have been pleased.

I don't know about his LED's, but I've bought some really cheap chinese LED's off ebay and they work just fine
Old 26-12-2011, 19:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Anyone familiar with LEDs from "Source LED" or nav lights from "Victory Products"

$20+ for G4 LED units is not cheap -- rather top dollar!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 19:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have about a million G4 halogen light fixtures on my boat. so obviously, converting to LEDs would have a big effect on my power budget. When I first bought the boat, I bought LED units from five or six different manufacturers, from dirt cheap to very expensive. I figured I would experiment, and then make a big order from that manufacturer who seemed to make the best product.

Well, I made a hash of it - I forgot which went where. The very expensive ones simply didn't fit - they had big heat sinks. All of the units have performed flawlessly over a couple of years of fairly intense use (I spent at least 3 months a year on board) with zero failures and no difference in light quality. The conclusion I come to is that the el cheapos are perfectly fine.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 20:35   #5

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I've bought item from Boaterbits and been happy with the transaction although the only LEDs I bought was an anchor light. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 21:45   #6

Well this all sounds very good! Thanks for the quick input folks. I think I'll go for it then unless anyone chimes in with negative experience in the next day or two. I was planning on buying a bulb-type tricolor etc and upgrading to LEDs but this seems even easier, and a bit cheaper.

Dockhead, as for the pricing, I haven't really looked at LED unit prices, what I'm concerned with is how expensive the navlight fixtures are. Boaterbits seems to have the cheapest out there. I've been assuming that I could just replace the bulbs if they burn out as long as the fixtures aren't total junk. Good to know that the cheap ones seem to work just as well as pricier ones!
calderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 23:04   #7

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I bought some cheap LED's from China and they didn't work out well. Some of the emitters flick on and off about 6 times a second. Sometimes they straighten out after a bit, sometimes not. Very irritating. Mainesail recommends sensibulb with the big heat sinks, or these guys, MR16 LED and MR11 LED
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 08:44   #8

See;
LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use
Marine LED Masthead and Running Light Bulb Replacement Assembly
Bebi Electronics-Home of the Finest Marine LED Lighting Products on Sea (or Earth)!
no connection, Mike
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 09:08   #9

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

We got ours (for the interior lights) from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS and have been very happy with them.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:33   #10

Boat: Moody 42

Second on Super Bright LED's. Good pricing and seem to be lasting very well. Over a year now in a 24V Dome light.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights