Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 15:44   #1

Source/suggestions for v-berth 5" mattress foam

I am rebuilding a 1972 Pearson 33 and am looking for a source to order firm mattress foam. I have also ordered Hypervent to place under foam mattress and wondering if anyone has any experience or comments?

Thanks in advance!

GLC
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 19:40   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Source/suggestions for v-berth 5" mattress foam

I would be interested, too. I want a full width cushion on my vee berth and it is pretty wide at the aft end. King size sheet just fits the wide end. I thought about taking a tempur pedic or similar mattress and cutting it to fit, then sewing the tick back together in its new shape, but those darn things are expensive.
Old 04-08-2018, 20:22   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Foamfactory.com or Foambymail.com, same company.

We have tons of foam from them. Good quality and a good price.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 23:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Foamfactory.com or Foambymail.com, same company.

We have tons of foam from them. Good quality and a good price.

Thanks for that. I will check them out.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:28   #5

Boat: Currently in between

We cheaped out and just bought the thickness we wanted off Amazon. It came in 2 days in a small box and I said "No Way!" When we pulled it out if the box and cut the plastic, it was a sight to see. One day to fully expand and then let the cutting begin..
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43   #6

Boat: wauquaiz Hood 38

Try "Sailrite" they carry all sorts of foam and materials.
dbcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:45   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I would be interested, too. I want a full width cushion on my vee berth and it is pretty wide at the aft end. King size sheet just fits the wide end. I thought about taking a tempur pedic or similar mattress and cutting it to fit, then sewing the tick back together in its new shape, but those darn things are expensive.
unlikely you will find foam large enough to cut a single piece. However, when you cut you will find you only need to glue about a 2' x 1' triangle to finish the job. There are many adhesives that will work but you have to exactly aleign the pieces the first time. I would suggest 4 or 6" foam topped with 2 or 3" egg crate foam for ventilation and a cloth topper over that. Elastic straps such as those for ironing boards are very helpful in securing your bedding.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:59   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Have Hypervent under my v-berth and it seems to work as intended. Been there for 2 years and haven't seen any mold. As far as foams go, bought mine from Perfect Fit McDonald. They even let me lie down on it to test how comfortable it was! Topped it with a 3" latex foam mattress topper cut to shape. Eggshell/memory foam toppers don't retain their padding very long if you sleep on them continuously. Latex is heavy, but it retains it's "spring".
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:47   #9

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I spent $ 2000 for my Latex 6 " custom mattress and LOVE it.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
unlikely you will find foam large enough to cut a single piece. However, when you cut you will find you only need to glue about a 2' x 1' triangle to finish the job. There are many adhesives that will work but you have to exactly aleign the pieces the first time. I would suggest 4 or 6" foam topped with 2 or 3" egg crate foam for ventilation and a cloth topper over that. Elastic straps such as those for ironing boards are very helpful in securing your bedding.

Actually the foambymail.com link fixed me up. They have sheets of high density foam that are bigger than a king size mattress. My vee berth is not a full pointed vee... ends at the chain locker. The foambymail full sheet (from the commercial product pages) will be wide enough and more than long enough. Actually I think the residential king size mattresses will be long enough and I know that they are wide enough, too. A king size fitted sheet goes over both aft corners and leaves me enough to tuck under the foot, so I think, without measuring, that I can cut down either the king size mattress or the full sheet. King size mattress is same price as full sheet of foam. I am going with the LUX-R foam, I think. Price isn't bad, all things considered. I am not messing with any sort of topper. Been sleeping on the 42 year old two piece cushions so not having the split in the middle is luxury enough. Probably selling the boat within a couple years anyway, as I will need the slip for a newbuild. And mostly sleeping at GF house in the meantime, when I am not away at sea. But grrrrrrrr those split cushions are infuriating! The only thing I store under the vee berth is new rope in bulk and I just lead the ends out under the aft end of the cushions. There is an ancient water tank under there too, and I don't use it. Gallon jugs stowed under the settees and in the lazarette work fine for me. So out with the splitty, in with the onesie. I will order when I get home in September, assuming they can get a relief for me.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:52   #11

Boat: Looking for a new boat

https://sleeponlatex.com/products/na...RoCYdQQAvD_BwE

This is the stuff right here. I've had this on all of my boats and use it as a bed at home.
Old 05-08-2018, 13:17   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Actually the foambymail.com link fixed me up. They have sheets of high density foam that are bigger than a king size mattress. My vee berth is not a full pointed vee... ends at the chain locker. The foambymail full sheet (from the commercial product pages) will be wide enough and more than long enough. Actually I think the residential king size mattresses will be long enough and I know that they are wide enough, too. A king size fitted sheet goes over both aft corners and leaves me enough to tuck under the foot, so I think, without measuring, that I can cut down either the king size mattress or the full sheet. King size mattress is same price as full sheet of foam. I am going with the LUX-R foam, I think. Price isn't bad, all things considered. I am not messing with any sort of topper. Been sleeping on the 42 year old two piece cushions so not having the split in the middle is luxury enough. Probably selling the boat within a couple years anyway, as I will need the slip for a newbuild. And mostly sleeping at GF house in the meantime, when I am not away at sea. But grrrrrrrr those split cushions are infuriating! The only thing I store under the vee berth is new rope in bulk and I just lead the ends out under the aft end of the cushions. There is an ancient water tank under there too, and I don't use it. Gallon jugs stowed under the settees and in the lazarette work fine for me. So out with the splitty, in with the onesie. I will order when I get home in September, assuming they can get a relief for me.

You will like it. We have 6" LUX for our bed and have been sleeping on it for 3 years. Its good stuff.

It sounds like it will be big enough for what you need.. but I will suggest that it can be glued without ever feeling the seam. We have glued a few pieces with 3M spray adhesive and there is absolutely no way you can feel that seam. Just in case you do need to extend a spot, know that you do have options.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 14:52   #13

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Try 'Bed in a Box' or any of their competitors. We bought our last memory foam from Costco and cut it to fit.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 15:15   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

X2 on the spray contact cement - works great and you will never know there is a seam.
Old 07-08-2018, 16:09   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 45F5, Adams 12

I just had the best sleep in my V birth last night!
We cut down a 'MORGEDAL' Latex mattress from Ikea and re-stitched the cover.
While at it, we made matching fitted sheets which makes making the bed up so much easier. I am planning to use the left over mattress material to replace settee cushions. The Morgedal is not as heavy as other latex and has a layer of foam that can be removed if you want.
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/p...863/#/40272414
Leakie Marine is offline   Reply With Quote