Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 11:12   #1

Condensation or leak?

The following is explaining my condition for ease of a clear understanding:

I winterized the boat for winter 6 weeks ago, is in the water, under a covered slip. The boat is a cruiser. I have a canvas cockpit and bow cover, so between the covers and the covered slip, its out of the weather, pretty much water proof from mother nature. Motors were drained and filled with RV antifreeze, engine compartment was left nice and dry, blower vents covered with shrink wrap tape to keep the outside air out. I purchased a marine engine compartment heater that will maintain the temp at around 40*F. Outside air temps have been in the 20*-40*'s. Last winter I replaced both motors transom assemblies with new, so all the bellows and seals are new. All floor drains lead directly overboard.

2 weeks ago I checked on the boat and noticed maybe 1/2-1 gal of water in the bilge. I removed the water and wiped it dry. Could not see any signs of where the water came from. Yesterday we checked on it again. This time maybe a qt of water. Granted, the amount is very little, but my engine compartment has always been 100% dry. The water isnt antifreeze, so its not a hose left loose during the winterizing. Last nite, it crossed my mind that possibly the engine heater is causing a bit of condensation? Not knowing for sure if possible, thought id toss this out to the fellow forum members and see if any one else has the same condition if using a heater of some sort, or maybe more importantly how to tell between lake water and condensation.
Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 14:47   #2

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Condensation or leak?

I don't understand your climate but where I live there would certainly be condensation if the yacht was not well ventilated.

Other people have had the problem as evidenced by these links

Is it fresh or salt water?? [Archive] - Yachting and Boating World Forums
Water in the Bilge [Archive] - Yachting and Boating World Forums
Water in Bilges - How does it get there
How Much Water in a Bilge is OK? - Boat Talk - Chaparral Boats Owners Club

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation