Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 20:12   #1

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
Foam or no Foam?

Hello all,

In the process of refitting my 26 footer, I am at the point where I re build the V-berth. My question is this, should I fill the cavities with buoyancy foam? Is it worth it? Do any of you gentlemen actually use the urethane foam? Finally, in a worst case scenario, a capsize for example, will the foam keep the ship a float? I look forward to you thoughts.

Shawn
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 21:34   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
1 cu.ft. of foam will float a little more then 50#. So if the boat weights 2500# then you would have to fill up your whole V-berth (50 cu. ft.) for the foam to just keep it afloat, nose up.

Your boat does have a large void under the cockpit but not enough to float it. a 26' is not required to have floation foam by todays standards.

http://www.abycinc.org/standards/purpose.cfm#H8

Go to H-5 & H-8
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 22:45   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
FOAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexel Engineer
Hello all,

In the process of refitting my 26 footer, I am at the point where I re build the V-berth. My question is this, should I fill the cavities with buoyancy foam? Is it worth it? Do any of you gentlemen actually use the urethane foam? Finally, in a worst case scenario, a capsize for example, will the foam keep the ship a float? I look forward to you thoughts.

Shawn
Yo Shawn,

although the idea of an unsinkable 26-footer is intriguing, it is not likely to be practical on a ballasted keelboat. And you will give away valuable storage space if you choose foam for the flotation material. What I mean to say is FORGET ABOUT THE FOAM!!!

Now if you are serious about adding to its' buoyancy, simply create non-flooding storage areas wherever possible. And remember, an empty tank is terrific flotation.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 06:34   #4

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
Well then, that solves that. Thank you for the help.

Shawn
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 15:03   #5
cruiser

foam or no foam.

A friend working on an aluminium Saugeen Witch told me they put one on a tide grid. checked her out , then went to the pub. It had 1 inch of sprayfoam in in. When they got back they found that they had forgot to close a thru hull. The boat was full of water and still had a foot of freeboard. They took a picture of several of them standing on deck with the boat sytill loating high.That was Bruce Cope , of Cope Aluminium boats in Parksville, BC.
I remember a picture in a British Yachting magazine a few years back of a foam cored 48 foter , similar to a Maple Leaf 48 which ad been holed , yet refused to sink due too the foam core in her. They towed her to a yard ,still full of seawater and still floating.
Its possible to make many boats unsinkable if you put an inch of foam over the entire interior, rather than a few big lumps o ffoam.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 16:44   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Isn't there a European production boat that is unsinkable? Just foam in all the hard to reach bits if I remember.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 16:46   #7

boats.com - Boat Review/Test: Unsinkable Etap
Old 25-05-2007, 16:46   #8

http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/ar....html?lid=1044
Old 25-05-2007, 18:15   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Etap is the boat that is unsinkable according to European standards. A couple of things I found is that the interior was very small b/c the foam was pretty thick. Alot of storage was taken up by foam. Also was concerned about how you would know about problems (leaks) that occurred. The foam would allow the leak to travel around before showing and then you wouldn't know where the leak was comming from.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote