Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2022, 20:25   #61

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Adding deadlights to a Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yes, if the internet "facts" are to be believed, Kelly (a boat broker) went to Peterson to have the boat drawn up. I think it would be reasonable to assume Kelly was the driving force and Peterson was the boating brains.
Oh boy, I knew it.
Right after I had posted my first post in this thread some of the old memory cells started to wake up.
I said to myself: "Wasn't there a yacht brokerage in San Deigo called "Kelly Yacht Sales", or some name like that.
Then I did a cursory search but didn't come up with much.
The outfit I had worked for had in fact obtained a "License/Permission?" to be an authorized sales office for "Peterson 44" boats from a yacht sales company in San Deigo.
O well, that was ~46 years ago, and some memory details are "slippery".
Also, my apologies for getting your thread off-track.
I do look forward to further developments on your project.
The first time I sailed on a 44 we got into an impromptu "race" against a Valiant 40, it was light air and it took a few tacks, but we got the weather gage, the 44 was brand new with a clean bottom and new sails, but for one who was more used to "crab crusher" boats I thought we were doing just fine.
Old 13-05-2022, 21:22   #62

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post

The outfit I had worked for had in fact obtained a "License/Permission?" to be an authorized sales office for "Peterson 44" boats from a yacht sales company in San Deigo...
I wonder... no chance it could have been one of the so-called "Cheatersons"?

Apparently there were some blatant rip-offs made. Might explain why the sales office was a little vague on the name. [emoji16]
Old 13-05-2022, 21:25   #63

Quote:

I do look forward to further developments on your project...
I'm cautious of posting much of the build. Any time I post a picture I get innundated with people telling me how wrong I am doing it.
Old 13-05-2022, 22:16   #64

Quote:
I'm cautious of posting much of the build. Any time I post a picture I get innundated with people telling me how wrong I am doing it.
You'll be building a "wooden boat" that's inside a fiberglass hull which in my opinion is the best way to build a boat.
One of the YouTube channels I follow has a worker who is a graduate of the Wooden Boat School.
A remark she made was "You learn that there are at least 8 ways to do something".
She's right, and you'll probably ponder and cogitate over several options before making a decision, probably even change some things as you move along and at the end there will be things you wished you had changed or done differently.
But it's ok, it'll be what you want.
The dockside wags? they wish they could do what your doing.
I have to say though, there is one thing that I firmly believe to be very wrong regarding a boats interior layout, and that is positioning the head so that one sits on the toilet facing athwartships.
Sitting on the toilet facing forward with cabinet(s)/bulkhead(s) on both sides to "lock you in" no matter the heel angle is much to be desired over ANY other arrangement.
Old 13-05-2022, 22:23   #65

Quote:
You'll be building a "wooden boat" that's inside a fiberglass hull which in my opinion is the best way to build a boat.

One of the YouTube channels I follow has a worker who is a graduate of the Wooden Boat School.

A remark she made was "You learn that there are at least 8 ways to do something".

She's right, and you'll probably ponder and cogitate over several options before making a decision, probably even change some things as you move along and at the end there will be things you wished you had changed or done differently.

But it's ok, it'll be what you want.

The dockside wags? they wish they could do what your doing.

I have to say though, there is one thing that I firmly believe to be very wrong regarding a boats interior layout, and that is positioning the head so that one sits on the toilet facing athwartships.

Sitting on the toilet facing forward with cabinet(s)/bulkhead(s) on both sides to "lock you in" no matter the heel angle is much to be desired over ANY other arrangement.

Shhhh…. Don’t tell anyone, but there will not be any wood in there when I’m done.

There are currently 15 sheets of PVC honeycomb stuff and a couple of pails of vinylester. Floors, stringers, sole, bulkheads and most of the furniture will be honeycomb cored composite.

Some XPS foam for non critical components.

Haven’t figured out which way the dunny will be facing yet. But I caused a moment’s uncomfortable silence in a group of yachties the other day when I pointed out that on a passage, all I do is back off the sheets before heading below to see a man about a dog. Boat stands up nicely. I don’t.
Old 13-05-2022, 22:25   #66

Quote:
I wonder... no chance it could have been one of the so-called "Cheatersons"?

Apparently there were some blatant rip-offs made. Might explain why the sales office was a little vague on the name. [emoji16]
No, not a chance, they were REAL Peterson 44s.
This was in '76>'77.
Not "vague", I just can't remember the name in San Deigo, I most certainly remember the name of the outfit I worked for, and anybody on this forum would recognize the name of those boats, (besides the Petersons).
Old 13-05-2022, 22:59   #67

Quote:
Shhhh…. Don’t tell anyone, but there will not be any wood in there when I’m done.

There are currently 15 sheets of PVC honeycomb stuff and a couple of pails of vinylester. Floors, stringers, sole, bulkheads and most of the furniture will be honeycomb cored composite.

Some XPS foam for non critical components.

Haven’t figured out which way the dunny will be facing yet. But I caused a moment’s uncomfortable silence in a group of yachties the other day when I pointed out that on a passage, all I do is back off the sheets before heading below to see a man about a dog. Boat stands up nicely. I don’t.
Your secret is safe with me, I'll not tell a soul, nor will I say that's wrong.
I try to encourage projects where people get their hands dirty in boatbuilding. Goodness knows their are already enough "cookie cutter" stamped out boats that are designed by "bean counters" to the lowest common denominator, where individuality and "soul" are determined by a different color of cushions.
Trust me on the head though and you'll have no reason to slack sheets.
Old 13-05-2022, 22:59   #68

Quote:
No, not a chance, they were REAL Peterson 44s.
This was in '76>'77.
Not "vague", I just can't remember the name in San Deigo, I most certainly remember the name of the outfit I worked for, and anybody on this forum would recognize the name of those boats, (besides the Petersons).
Ah, phew. We are safe.

I think the fakes came a fair bit later.
Old 13-05-2022, 23:01   #69

Quote:

Trust me on the head though and you'll have no reason to slack sheets.
Noted, it would be nice, and it may be possible. I've put aside a LOT of space for the bathroom. I want a full stand-up shower for a start.

The only bit of the cruising life that really got to me was the crappy shower in the Swanson. Hot water was easy, head room was non-existent.
Old 14-05-2022, 10:49   #70

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Yes, if the internet "facts" are to be believed, Kelly (a boat broker) went to Peterson to have the boat drawn up. I think it would be reasonable to assume Kelly was the driving force and Peterson was the boating brains.

Either way, I can attest to what I would call the "Kelly" aspect of the boat. Interior and accommodation are/were exceptionally good.

I'm just hoping the "Peterson" aspect of the boat lives up to the hype. I'm doing all this work without having sailed the boat more than 60 miles, and that was downwind, with a heavily fouled bottom, in moderately sheltered waters. Hardly a test of a boat's abilities.
Boy, I don't know, it's been a long time, and I haven't sailed many bigger boats, but when I sailed one many years ago, pushing her hard, going upwind as high as she would point on a pretty breezy day (25 kts) and pretty choppy for about 25 miles, I fell in love. She had a great motion and tracked so well I had my pinky finger on the wheel! (or so that is how I remember it. I judge a boat on how well she goes upwind.) Unfortunately at the time I couldn't fully enjoy the experience because I had some very sea-sick guests who were quite unhappy with the whole sailing thing and could not wait to get to dry land. I'd be happy to crew for you when you get her put together; can I steer once in a while?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 16:12   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Boy, I don't know, it's been a long time, and I haven't sailed many bigger boats, but when I sailed one many years ago, pushing her hard, going upwind as high as she would point on a pretty breezy day (25 kts) and pretty choppy for about 25 miles, I fell in love.[emoji3] She had a great motion and tracked so well I had my pinky finger on the wheel! (or so that is how I remember it. I judge a boat on how well she goes upwind.) Unfortunately at the time I couldn't fully enjoy the experience because I had some very sea-sick guests who were quite unhappy with the whole sailing thing and could not wait to get to dry land. I'd be happy to crew for you when you get her put together; can I steer once in a while?[emoji3]
Don, I'm going to print out your description and attach it to a bulkhead on the boat. It is just the sort of motivation I need in a job like this.

Although I've heard plenty of positive stuff from KP44 owners, I know that we all tell terrible lies about how well our own boat sails and those descriptions should be taken with an artery hardening level of salt.

Your helmsman position has been reserved.
Old 15-05-2022, 00:42   #72

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Easy fix - don't spend winter in Tasmania.

If you are there in winter there is nothing to be gained by looking out your windows - it will be grey and bleak - and very, very depressing.

Friend left Tassie as he got sick of putting butter in fridge to keep warm
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 02:32   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
Friend left Tassie as he got sick of putting butter in fridge to keep warm

I get it, I actually do.

The morning I woke up to find the cabin was at minus 2 and put the milk back in the fridge to keep it warm (seriously) I realised Tassie has its challenges.

Tags
peterson