Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 16:14   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Kelly Peterson 44

I am looking at a Peterson 44 for my wife and I as a full time cruising boat. I would appreciate any info, experience, advice, or opinions on this boat.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 16:22   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
You'll find lots of owners and info here:

Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome

PetersonCutter : eGroup devoted to the Peterson KP44 and 46 and the F46
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:59   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Great boats sv thea is right the Peterson site pretty well covers these boats. One thing about these. They are all a little different then you tack on 30 years of owner upkeep and the conditions very by extremes. I love mine I bight it eyes wide at the problems I could identify. Then paid what seemed fair. I have been happy with the result but I knew what I was getting into. I'll send you a pm with my number I'd you want to talk to an owner. Which Peterson are you looking at?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 11:03   #4

Re: Kelly Peterson 44

Hi! Would you be interested in a Peterson 46'? I have her posted here, or you could go to my website
YACHT FREE

We had her built for us at Formosa and have cruised ever since. Great boat. Fun life! Teri
FORSTUFF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 18:44   #5

I know of one that just might come on the market soon. It's not mine but I know she's in perfect shape. Just a beautiful girl. Sorry I don't have any pictures. As I said, it's not mine. The boat I'm thinking of is located in the Pacific Northwest.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 08:07   #6

There are four on Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...rchResults.jsp
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:10   #7

Boat: KP44 #279

Sabry has it right, if not maintained and upgraded it's a 30 year old boat. The structure and hulls were well built, but nearly all systems would need renewing after 30 years, that's true of any boat. If your able to do much of the work yourself and you get a good one to start with you can end up with a very nice and capable boat, however, if you have to pay someone to do everything on a refit I don't think you can make it make $ sense.
I bought one in "good" condition and refit from there, but even at that I've put more into the boat than I paid for it. Will I ever get that back? No way! But when you raise the sails and that large heavy well constructed boat takes off and sails like these boats do you'll not reget the $. Plus it's difficult to get use to people rowing by or sailing by in an anchorage and complementing your boat.
Do check out the website Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome

and the yahoo group PetersonCutter : eGroup devoted to the Peterson KP44 and 46 and the F46
like the others have said they cover everything about these boats.

Just for your FYI the "biggies" to look at (and these are probably true for most older boats) are: Engine, fuel tanks, water tanks, chainplates ( surely renewed some time in 30 years?), AC wiring, electronics, deck moisture, rudder/ rudder tube, cutlesses (there are two), ect
Have fun, it can be a great boat.
Dwain
S/V Dancy
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 00:05   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44

Good list Dancy
As in any older boat lets add water tanks hoses through hulls rigging, cap rail and hull to deck joint, bulkhead tabbing etc..Interesting that many had 2 cutlass bearings mine has one. Just another alteration by a different builder.
I love my Peterson It is a wonderful sailing machine I love sailing and working on boats so it fills my needs to a balanced tee. If you dont like working on boats by something newer. If you want a great cruising boat and like mucking about in boat work these things are awesome machines.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 01:54   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt

Hoping one day to get one of those myself... I think it looks like a beautiful machine for cruising life. I have collected some data on them and been studying KP44's for a while.

You might want to read these sites:
A good display of what it can be (both sites for boats for sale): svserengeti
1979 Peterson 44 For Sale - Home

A good display on refits done to these boats:
Azura Refit
A bit of overdoing it :P Weta refit
Rave On! | Emerald Tales

And as a final note: haulout from hell

Enjoy
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:33   #10

Boat: none presently

First off I wish you best of luck in your search. I too have fallen in love with this yacht. I am glad to see a thread started that I also can follow as you search for the right boat.
I again wish you good luck and please keep us posted as you search. I know I would love to see how it goes.
Sincerely,
Dave
Texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:51   #11

Boat: KP44 #279

Perhaps, and I don't mean this in a negative way, one should ask of a 30 year old boat; What don't I need to look at?
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 19:48   #12

Boat: K Peterson 44

Where to sell?
Due to health issues, we feel that we may need to part with our Kelly Peterson 44.....For the past 3 years, we have actively been sailing the Pacific Coast and the Sea of Cortez.....Currently we have the boat in PV, Mexico. Do you think that putting her up for sale in Mexico would be acceptable to potential buyers? Or should we think about having her brought back to California?? She is in excellent condition (new paint and upholstery) and an amazing cruising vessel. Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Steve & Arleen
s/v Ubuntu, KP44 #157
arleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 04:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solosailor View Post
I know of one that just might come on the market soon. It's not mine but I know she's in perfect shape. Just a beautiful girl. Sorry I don't have any pictures. As I said, it's not mine. The boat I'm thinking of is located in the Pacific Northwest.

I would like to know more about this boat, when is it coming on the market?
SickBouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:28   #14

I had one for about 8 years in the Caribbean and loved it. I also delivered one from Hawaii to Calif. They sail as good as everybody says they do and are very comfortable to live on. The only negatives are that Taiwan stainless steel is not of very good quality, and the fuel and water tanks tend to go bad. Inspect under the shower pans for rot. I had a small problem with that. The boat itself is built like a tank. I never worried about the integrity of the hull or rig. I built a gallows for mine and that made sail handling easier, and hung an Aries on the back. Mine was an ex charter boat so it came as a sloop. I rigged a removable inner forestay and that worked out well. All in all, a truly great boat.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peterson