Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 20:39   #16

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: Cape Dory 28 outboard motor?

Several Gemini owners converted to outboards as their inboards got old and unreliable. I put about 5,000 nm on my Merc 15. Quiet and easy to keep running.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 21:06   #17

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Im going to try to get her started myself with fresh fuel and bleed the lines before I pull the motor. Definitely keeping the diesel if only because she looks better with a clean transom. This is a big boat for me. My dream boat and my retirement boat that I plan to use to visit the Florida Keys, Bahamas, and Caribbean in 2 years when I retire. I look at her on the dock and have to pinch myself. Can’t believe she’s really mine!
Don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 21:19   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It's really one of my favorites too. The diesel has much better fuel economy too, so once you get her running you'll have a lot of fun even just chugging around gunkholing on 3 gallons of diesel. Find a friendly recommended local mechanic with Yanmar experience to help you out before you fire it up.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 03:46   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don55 View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Im going to try to get her started myself with fresh fuel and bleed the lines before I pull the motor. Definitely keeping the diesel if only because she looks better with a clean transom. This is a big boat for me. My dream boat and my retirement boat that I plan to use to visit the Florida Keys, Bahamas, and Caribbean in 2 years when I retire. I look at her on the dock and have to pinch myself. Can’t believe she’s really mine!
If you really like the idea of having a diesel you could also start looking around for a replacement now while you are still working on the one you have

I replaced my old diesel at first but I did it with a second old diesel which failed. Also both of my diesels leaked diesel fuel into the bilge which I couldn't stand especially since I had only sailed engineless before this boat

Btw it's really not that hard to replace the diesel and realign it etc if you are in decent shape. I did mine the second time with the boat in the water at a fixed dock. I had to wait for the right tide to swing the diesels on and off the boat. I used the boom.

If you know this is definitely the boat for you a new replacement diesel or good used one bought from some one recommended in your area might be the way to go

One last point, I did replace my 40 year old 1974 10 hp Bukh Diesel that weighed 352 lbs with a new 2011 5 HP 4 Stroke Mercury Outboard with extra long 25" shaft which weighs 58 lbs

The outboard was about $1,500.00

Also though if you plan on doing some long distance motoring as in the ICW, diesel is the way to go.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 05:03   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Question for all you experienced sailors. I bought a 1979 Cape Dory 28 sailboat with. 2005 yanmar 2GM diesel engine. My previous experience has been in the 21 foot range with small 4 stroke outboard engines. This engine needs an overhaul and will have to come out of the boat. I’m looking at the cost of the overhaul and all the space I would have plus the holes I could plug if I reengined instead with an outboard motor. Plus backing up would be a lot easier.

So my question is: Is switching to an outboard a feasible option? I live in Fort Lauderdale and tidal currents can run up to 2 knots at the 17th avenue bridge. I would have to build a transom engine mount. What do you folks think?
Hello Don

Welcome

Much good advice upthread.

I would kindly suggest that you need a complete and accurate assessment of the condition of the Yanmar before making any decisions. Perhaps all it needs is the fuel line to be bled and to be brought up to date on maintenance. Perhaps the problems are more serious. It is possible to spend thousands of dollars if they are.

Yes, you can move a boat that size with a small outboard, and many do. How well that will work depends on your goals. The outboard will be louder. It will not produce a substantial amount of electricity. If you intend to keep fuel below decks, there are certain safety measures required (blowers and ignition protected electrical components) that are not necessary for diesel. Depending on how the outboard is installed, it may not perform as well as a diesel would in heavy seas.

On any boating forum, the "community" is quick to encourage other people to spend their money. Keep in mind that it is your choice and your cash.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:00   #21

Fix it. You will be many $$$ ahead in time.

If your handy around outboards a small diesel is very easy to work on.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:14   #22

Boat: ODAY 28

I agree on the diesel, I would change all fluids and filters and bleed the engine, also might look at the condition of the fuel in the tank.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:14   #23

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I have a similarly sized boat. My engine is original and has somewhere around 3500 hrs on it. Usually starts before one revolution. I did my longest 'just motoring' stretch for 12 hours out of a total of 50, crossing from Cabo San Lucas to Mazatlan. The little engine chugged through the night until the wind piped up again at 3 am. Batteries got a good charge, used less than 5 gallons of fuel.
If this little yanmar dies before I do, I'll replace it with another diesel.

Mi dos pesos,

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:06   #24

It also depends on what you plan to do with your boat and when.

Also, how much do you want to spend on your new old boat?

Will this be your final boat are will you be getting a larger, newer one in a few years.

Looking at the Cape Dory 28 on sailboatdata.com, it may not be the best for an outboard since it doesn't have the aft lazarette to store your external tank. (or to be used as an outboard well)

It's real drag to have the tank sitting in the cockpit area
Old 30-03-2018, 10:34   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
The boat and motor were neglected for almost 2 years due to the owners health problems. Currently it turns over but won’t start.
That does not sound like a reason to assume a rebuild is necessary.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 15:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I have a similarly sized boat. My engine is original and has somewhere around 3500 hrs on it. Usually starts before one revolution. I did my longest 'just motoring' stretch for 12 hours out of a total of 50, crossing from Cabo San Lucas to Mazatlan. The little engine chugged through the night until the wind piped up again at 3 am. Batteries got a good charge, used less than 5 gallons of fuel.
If this little yanmar dies before I do, I'll replace it with another diesel.

Mi dos pesos,

goat
This type of answer sort of begs the question: what type of sailor/cruiser do you want to be?

Are you on the clock like you were while working?

When I raced beach cats, our yearly 100 mile race was always unpredictable. Sometimes we sat for hours waiting on the wind after being trapped out for many hours in 15 knot winds until the evening when the winds would slow, stop, then switch directions as they did earlier in the day

On my present boat a Bristol 27, waiting for the wind would not be a problem at all since I have everything I need

I can nap, cook, read, or work on a project.

But then again, if you are more of a motoring "sailor" than a sailing one what engine you have can be very important
Old 30-03-2018, 20:03   #27

Thanks again for the helpful responses. To recap this is the boat I intend to keep in retirement. I am keeping the diesel and will have it serviced. I believe it has a lot of life left. Dont like thru hulls but think the diesel gives me more options for keeping out of trouble when the wind drops or the inevitable thunderstorms pop up.
Don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 21:02   #28

Go to Barnes & Noble orAmazon & buy a book on maintaining marine Diesel engines; expect to pay $20-$40. While you are reading & re-reading it, ask around the marinas (especially the ones with liveaboards) for referrals for good mechanics. If you’re going to be a sailor, you’re going to have to learn to "size people up” (if you haven’t already)(mechanics, riggers, sailmakers, temporary deckhands, fiberglass repair, towboat operators, the people on this forum, etc, etc). This mechanic is just the first. After reading the book you should be able to make a quality decision about whether or not to try to get running yourself or to go straight to a mechanic; also to understand & assess what the mechanic you select is telling you about your engine. My last boat but 3 had a graymarine diesel older than in am.i wish I still owned her.
Old 01-04-2018, 21:11   #29

Boat: Oday 25

As others have said, I'd take a shot at getting the diesel going. But if that does'nt work add an outboard
I'm currently powering my 4800 lb Oday 25 with a 6 HP high thrust 4 cycle extra long shaft (the critical part) Tohatsu. It will push the boat to it's hull speed. The most important thing is the EXTRA long shaft which keeps the prop in the water when the boat pitches. Our prior long shaft 9.9 would cavitate in short steep waves. Also the larger diameter prop and lower pitch drive a heavier boat better than a standard model. The total cost was $1700 for the engine and $250 for a super strong bracket
A plus with an outboard is no prop drag when sailing. Just tilt it up. Maintenance is lots less than a diesel. No gearbox, control cables, gauges, strut, shaft or stuffing box. No water in the bilge.
In fact I have an aquaintance who accidently tore up the shaft on his Cape Dory 28 when over 200 miles from home. He purchased a very used 10 HP outboard, cobbled together a temporary mount and ran the boat home with that instead of Sea Tow. Much less expensive
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:42   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
As others have said, I'd take a shot at getting the diesel going. But if that does'nt work add an outboard
I'm currently powering my 4800 lb Oday 25 with a 6 HP high thrust 4 cycle extra long shaft (the critical part) Tohatsu. It will push the boat to it's hull speed. The most important thing is the EXTRA long shaft which keeps the prop in the water when the boat pitches. Our prior long shaft 9.9 would cavitate in short steep waves. Also the larger diameter prop and lower pitch drive a heavier boat better than a standard model. The total cost was $1700 for the engine and $250 for a super strong bracket
A plus with an outboard is no prop drag when sailing. Just tilt it up. Maintenance is lots less than a diesel. No gearbox, control cables, gauges, strut, shaft or stuffing box. No water in the bilge.
In fact I have an aquaintance who accidently tore up the shaft on his Cape Dory 28 when over 200 miles from home. He purchased a very used 10 HP outboard, cobbled together a temporary mount and ran the boat home with that instead of Sea Tow. Much less expensive
You said currently. I hope you don't find that 6HP is not quit enough when the tide and wind are running against you. Just food for thought.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, motor, outboard