Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 15:18   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cape Dory 28 outboard motor?

Reaching over the transom and steering with an outboard is not only doable but makes an old long keel boat highly maneuverable. I do it all the time. The CD has the advantage of not having a lazarette in the way too. A 15hp outboard is way more power than my 29 footer needs, but I like the sound of having a 140 hp... I wonder if I could get it planing?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 15:23   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Why would you need an outboard (or a diesel)if you were a sailor?
To get out of a tight slip with a jetty nearby.....especially if you come and go 8-10 times per month

We have about 35' - 40' of space before hitting bottom on low tide to get out.

You can see my outboard hanging off the stern of my boat just over Mitchell's right shoulder.

Mitchell likes the open bay better also. Less oyster shells to rip up his pads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell in the creek.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	167575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mithch ar Chicks' Beach.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	167576  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 21:06   #48

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Why would you need an outboard (or a diesel)if you were a sailor?
I need an outboard because it is not permitted to enter or leave my home marina under sail.

Also, I am on a river. There is always a current. There is not always wind.

@goat would you like to have a go at loading the boat on the trailer under sail?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 00:12   #49

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don55 View Post
Thanks again for the helpful responses. To recap this is the boat I intend to keep in retirement. I am keeping the diesel and will have it serviced. I believe it has a lot of life left. Dont like thru hulls but think the diesel gives me more options for keeping out of trouble when the wind drops or the inevitable thunderstorms pop up.
+1 Good thinking!

No shame in admitting the diesel as a valued member of the crew. You'll still qualify as a sailor in most books. Get her running and then give the fuel system a once over. Clean the tank if needed so crud wont stir up and clog the filters when the waves pick up. Learn how to change filters and bleed the fuel system.

Get clean fuel to the cylinders and you'll have a reliable engine.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:02   #50

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I need an outboard because it is not permitted to enter or leave my home marina under sail.

Also, I am on a river. There is always a current. There is not always wind.

@goat would you like to have a go at loading the boat on the trailer under sail?
You need an outboard to enter your marina? A diesel engine wouldn't work? If you can explain why a sailor uses a gasoline outboard and a non sailor uses a diesel inboard I'd love to hear it.

That's the post I was referring to (and the one I quoted).

I might be a little dense; still on my first coffee, so I'm just looking for clarification.

You know, in case I've got to rip out the Yanmar and bolt on a Yamaha before my next passage. ;^)

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:38   #51

Quote:
You need an outboard to enter your marina? A diesel engine wouldn't work? If you can explain why a sailor uses a gasoline outboard and a non sailor uses a diesel inboard I'd love to hear it.

That's the post I was referring to (and the one I quoted).

I might be a little dense; still on my first coffee, so I'm just looking for clarification.

You know, in case I've got to rip out the Yanmar and bolt on a Yamaha before my next passage. ;^)

goat
It's pretty simple actually.

Those of us that have outboards do not have the range you guys with diesels have so we must sail.

We only use our engines when we absolutely have to (like entering and exiting crowded, tight marinas) because I for one am not going to carry 20 gallons of gasoline onboard.

I have the three gallon external tank (which I never fill up all the way because it can leak thru the vent if motorsailing when heeled way over), the 40 oz integral tank on the engine itself and one 2.5 gallon strong plastic gasoline jug. This is fine for most coastal cruising but if sailing long distance not so great for motoring.

I will motor (or motorsail) home on Sunday Mornings if necessary but we're talking 20 miles or less to cross the open bay

Now should I decide to run the ICW down below the Outer Banks to get South I might put a 5 gallon Jerry can of gas on the bow. That's a distance of maybe 150-200 miles and to sail it in season offshore would mostly likely be into the wind with no safe place to reenter for a couple hundred miles
Old 03-04-2018, 07:07   #52

I've used 27 gallons of diesel for the last 2500 miles of travel. Still don't see your point.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:14   #53

Quote:
I've used 27 gallons of diesel for the last 2500 miles of travel. Still don't see your point.
We don't have the range to motorsail for a few days non stop should the wind die and we want to continue.

We would have to wait for the wind. We would have to sail. We would have to be sailors

Also, sailboats with diesels, motor or motorsail a lot even when daysailing. When they do this the owner doesn't even raise the main but simply unfurls the jib

Those of us with outboards sail much more that those with diesels ........in most cases.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:40   #54

I've sat becalmed for two days waiting for wind a couple hundred miles of the coast of Baja California. Really didn't make a difference to me what type of fuel my engine used. You sail or you don't.

I can see your point if you're a day sailor; you can wait for favourable winds or not go out at all, then yes, you will sail more than motor. But if you are on a long passage that you can't possibly carry enough fuel for, you still can't get away with motoring; Having 25 gallons of fuel to sail to the Marquesas from Panama really doesn't give you the option of motoring, diesel or outboard.

12 hours is still my longest motoring session in 30 years of sailing.

I have nothing against outboards, but I don't see a huge difference in the amount of sailing vs motoring between the two. Even more so if you take the distance traveled into consideration.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:50   #55

Quote:
I've sat becalmed for two days waiting for wind a couple hundred miles of the coast of Baja California. Really didn't make a difference to me what type of fuel my engine used. You sail or you don't.

I can see your point if you're a day sailor; you can wait for favourable winds or not go out at all, then yes, you will sail more than motor. But if you are on a long passage that you can't possibly carry enough fuel for, you still can't get away with motoring; Having 25 gallons of fuel to sail to the Marquesas from Panama really doesn't give you the option of motoring, diesel or outboard.

12 hours is still my longest motoring session in 30 years of sailing.

I have nothing against outboards, but I don't see a huge difference in the amount of sailing vs motoring between the two. Even more so if you take the distance traveled into consideration.
Well then, I need to remember where this post is located because folks are always saying on CF that you really don't want to cruise with an outboard (......or a boat under 40' for that matter)

even though folks have circumnavigated with them.........
Old 03-04-2018, 08:15   #56

an outboard will work. It will devalue the boat, be a PITA in any chop, limit maneuverability a lot, and probably cost you as much as getting your engine running well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:36   #57

I have met serious cruisers using outboards, they got along just fine.

For me the biggest drawbacks to an outboard as backup propulsion are; gasoline storage (most cruisers are carrying gas for their dinghy anyway), loss of room on the transom for windvane, davits, ladders etc. bouncing the prop out of the water when it's rough, lack of battery charging ability, poor fuel economy and overall looks.

By having an outboard in a well and an outboard with charging capabilities you can eliminate most of those problems.

That being said, I can count on my fingers how many use outboards compared to the thousands of boats I've seen with diesels.

Would I be cruising if my only choice were an outboard bolted to my transom? Absolutely! But given a choice, it's a diesel, even if it makes me a lousy sailor. ;^)

goat
Old 03-04-2018, 08:55   #58

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
blah blah blah sanctimonious nonsense blah blah blah
Keep up the good work, drawing a dividing line through the sailing population. We certainly don't have enough "us versus them" in today's world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
...because it can leak thru the vent if motorsailing when heeled way over
And some brilliant seamanship to boot.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:15   #59

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
an outboard will work. It will devalue the boat, be a PITA in any chop, limit maneuverability a lot, and probably cost you as much as getting your engine running well.
Well put! An outboard is fine for a boat designed for one but why bastardize one designed for an inboard.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:13   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Keep up the good work, drawing a dividing line through the sailing population. We certainly don't have enough "us versus them" in today's world.

And some brilliant seamanship to boot.
It's a discussion about Outboards vs Diesels

There's no divide......

and thanks for the compliment on my seamanship. I learned it racing beach cats for 15 years and from owning 6-8 power boats (outboard powered!)

I've had two diesels in my boat, and one outboard

I tried to get away with a replacement old, cheap diesel when the original 1974 diesel failed because I wasn't sure if I would keep this boat long. This occurred in 2011. That diesel failed also (and leaked and smelled bad)

I had only paid $2,000 for the boat and couldn't seemed to get comfortable with paying more for an engine than I paid for the boat

Tags
cape dory, motor, outboard