Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you prefer mono- or multihull sailboats for cruising?
Monohull 149 35.73%
Multihull 268 64.27%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 22:17   #466
Marine Service Provider

D O J stole my thunder or more a wiff of a breeze really.

Here is probably one of the best built, sailed and prepared multis in the world. That answer any of your questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	groupam3_upside_down_916.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	3542  
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 00:49   #467

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

Here is probably one of the best built, sailed and prepared multis in the world. That answer any of your questions.
Yep ,
It is still floating nice and high, and it has been taken back to be rebuilt
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:59   #468
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Meanwhile the monohull that hit the coral head, is now permanently in it's most stable position.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:01   #469
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Quote:

Yep, sure does.

I'll take a boat that keeps me afloat over an artificial reef any day. Maybe it's a strange philosophy, but I have to believe the best choice in a sailboat is one that stays on the surface of the water. And lives to sail another day.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:19   #470
Armchair Bucketeer

In fairness to cruising multihulls, I do think it is a little unfair to compare them with any racing vessels when mishaps occur.

I certainly would not accept that their was any real relationship between my boat and some sort of 60 Foot ocean racer - both when things are going well (LOL - I wish!!) or not.....but I like to think if someone did try to make a point using a Mono Racer as an example I would consider whether anything for me to learn, respond accordingly and then move on (with my life ) without having regarded it as some sort of blasphemy.

Of course I do speak as a (Sea)Dog owner
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:36   #471
jzk

I have been interested in Multihulls lately, being a monohull person all of my lie. I had figured that they were a compromise when it comes to ultimate Ocean Safety. But the wife would like them better for the room, and the lack of heeling over the course of weeks at sea.

But then I read the account of the Queens Birthday Sidney to Hobart race where the multihulls fared much better than the monohulls. MUCH BETTER. And, it seems with a proper Jordan Series Drogue, the multihull may be ultimate way to ride out the worst of worst storms.

It seems that the monohulls, in the worst of worst storms, can't keep from knocking down no matter what tactics are taken. Even with drogues, they end up beam to and get knocked down.

The accounts are easy to find with a little google searching, and they are a fantastic read.
jzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:04   #472
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
But then I read the account of the Queens Birthday Sidney to Hobart race where the multihulls fared much better than the monohulls. MUCH BETTER. And, it seems with a proper Jordan Series Drogue, the multihull may be ultimate way to ride out the worst of worst storms.

It seems that the monohulls, in the worst of worst storms, can't keep from knocking down no matter what tactics are taken. Even with drogues, they end up beam to and get knocked down.

The accounts are easy to find with a little google searching, and they are a fantastic read.
Ummm... you didn't read the last few pages of this thread? I appreciate the reference but the Queens Birthday Storm has been covered extensively in this thread. As a matter of fact I was repremanded for posting the information by the moderators here.

I agree with your conclusions, as would anyone who reads the whole account.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:29   #473
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Heart Light was breaking apart. The Crew did not believe the vessel had much time left before she was gone. In the interview I do not remember anything being said about negotiating a deal to get off the boat. It certainly was not the Monowai that rescued that crew.
Ok, then staying on Topic, I will reply to this comment. From the research I find, this is Heart Light:

"Heart Light, a 41-foot Catalac U.S.-based catamaran with a crew of four; a husband and wife couple with 16,000 ocean miles, and two crew with no offshore experience: Despite having 16,000 miles ocean experience, the captain and wife claimed to have not steered the boat except near the dock and to have never jibed between the States and New Zealand. Heart Light was a heavy, solid fiberglass, narrow catamaran. Nevertheless, she did reasonably well, surfing at between 6 and 13 knots while dragging a drogue. When the autopilot couldn't handle it any longer, the skipper finally learned how to steer, working desperately to prevent waves from slewing the stern in front of the bow. Eventually, both engines went down and lines fouled both rudders. They tied off the helm to port and slid sideways down waves. Despite being "captapulted" through the air on many occasions and being knocked onto one hull several other times, she endured. When the rescue ship arrived, her captain noted that the boat "appeared seaworthy and was riding comfortably in the improved weather." When the captain said he couldn't tow the boat, Heart Light's first mate, a New Age visionary, talked the ship's captain into a weird agreement: they would only allow themselves to be rescued if he promised to ram Heart Light until she sank. The woman's theory was that the sinking boat would be a lighthouse guiding the forces of good through seven layers of reality into our currently evil world. Something like that � and yes, she wrote a book. The ship's captain complied, and Heart Light sank after being rammed several times."

It seems the crew of Ramatha also gave up prematurely, and after being dragged through the sea, I suspect they would do things differently.
jzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53   #474
One of Those

Anyone ever hear of a cruiser deciding to give up multihulls and go to monos?

There are certainly plenty of examples of people going the other way, changing to catamarans after years of monohulls.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:26   #475

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Anyone ever hear of a cruiser deciding to give up multihulls and go to monos...
The never-ending question -- truth is, I don’t personally know of any examples of skippers going either way… multi/mono-skippers seem to be born that way… some just take longer to find themselves… what…

Rhetorical question: A form of debate patterened as question posed for rhetorical effect, rather than to receive an answer… verbiage used by the speaker to assert or deny something….
Old 11-05-2008, 08:45   #476
One of Those

Yes, I can understand the challenges of two throttles might be a bit much.

I mean, one lever in forward or reverse is much easier to learn than both forward, both reverse, stbd. forward/port reverse, port forward/stbd. reverse, and that's not even adding in the subtleties of two tachometers to deal with....why you might want 3,000 RPM Starboard engine forward, and only 1,000 RPM Port engine Reverse...

And then there's the ordeal of mentally reconfiguring for a wider beam.....
Old 11-05-2008, 10:47   #477

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
And, it seems with a proper Jordan Series Drogue, the multihull may be ultimate way to ride out the worst of worst storms.
From my research a parachute is the best way to survive the "worst of the worst".

Survival being a key word here.

I also have heard it hypothesized that for a given storm the interpretation of "the worst" could be different given the inherent more stable motion of a cat.

Now wouldn't it be difficult to quantify that?...........OK crews, time for the helicopter switch, and don't forget your note books for your thoughts.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:46   #478

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Stuff

Canibul. I recently sold a Coast 34 mono to a guy who cruised for 2 years in a trimaran....he and I basically agreed, a good boat is a good boat. I prefer so may things about my Tri....but I also believe it is like motorcycles/boats. So much of it is an emotional decision. You can justify your reasons til the cows go home...but...still, it is how it "grabs" you.
I don't mean like an emotional buy of the moment. I mean, the boat has got to "grab" you. If you get something just because of what everyone else says.......well.

Sinking or flipping? Both are a drag, and it happens to race boats far more than cruising boats. I prefer shallow draft..real forgiving draft, like my centerboard will pop up and tell me it is gettting shallow, and even if I go aground I am flat and stable....beaching a 34' boat and stepping off the bows is some kinda fun....:-)

we originally bought a 27' North Sea because I knew I could re sell it if it was not for us(25 years ago) Turned out I really wanted a good trimaran. They are both good boats......they just have features you have to want. The debate will go on forever. And it will never be won......the boat has got to "grab" you, if it don't...don't bother....:-)
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:27   #479
One of Those

I agree. Good boats are good boats. And any boat is better than no boat. I have loved boats and the ocean for all of my life. And my career of 40 years was on and under the ocean.

For us, in these waters where I now live, a catamaran is the sanest choice. For reasons of draft and beam and available slips in a very small country....a Gemini 105 is the obvious choice.

If I were sailing the Pacific, I might change that. If I were sailing a lot in high latitudes, of course I would change that. Let's face it, there is a time and a place where a steel monohull is the smart move.

And yet a steel monohull wouldnt last long here. Funny old world, aint it.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:35   #480
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

No one picked up on it did they? I thought someone would have.

No matter what sort of boat you have be it one hulled of 6 'sh*t can happen'. Use anything wrong and it can bite. One sunken mono doesn't make multis better and equally the opposite applies obviously.

Reading this thread is exactly like when I worked behind a local bar. Punters wanted either Stienlager or Heineken. Suggest the wrong one and you'd think the world was about to end.

Isn't human nature a funny old beast.

Should I be concerned 2 posters in the last 24hrs 'appear' to be thinking a particular style of boat to help compensate for poor navigation skills?
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull