Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2008, 19:18   #1

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Monohull vs Multihull

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole-in-wall-788[1].jpg
Views:	364
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	4386

I think it must be silly season.

I've been listening to people talking about the number of hulls on their yachts rather than about the size of their cruising dreams.

The Cruisersforum works exceptionally well when people focus on their dreams and on assisting their fellow cruisers in making their dreams come true.

I have owned four monohulls and one multihull, and I loved them all. Each one was a compromise, but they were what I could afford at the time. They lived up to their promise, and they helped me live my dreams.

I don't think this forum is about attacking other people who have more or less hulls than you. And I don't think it is about attacking other people who have opinions that are different than yours.

This forum is about living your dreams, and about how you can help other people make their dreams come true. There is a lot of power in the knowledge that we share with each other.

It doesn't matter how many hulls you have.
It's the size of your dreams that are important.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 20:10   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
This applies to our power boat friends as well! It is all about love of the sea/ocean/water life!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 20:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
This applies to our power boat friends as well! It is all about love of the sea/ocean/water life!
Well said.

I motored 2/3 of the way across the Mediterranean from Turkey to Gibraltar, and my Privilege 39 catamaran is an awesome power yacht when it needs to go into that mode. In fact, that's one of the things I like about my cat. I can do the sail thing or the power thing whenever I want.
Old 19-07-2008, 21:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well said both of you. It's about time someone brought some sanity to the topic.
Hope you continue to have great dreams like that one in the picture Dave.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 22:07   #5

Right now, I am envious of you sailing in the South Island of New Zealand.

I am high and dry in Phoenix wishing that I was down under.

For the time being, all I have is sailing dreams. (My cat is staked down to the ground at a boatyard in Florida hoping that no hurricanes come her way). But when my pile of Freedom Chips gets bigger, I may head your way once again.
Old 19-07-2008, 22:40   #6

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
This is so true. It is about sailing, not hulls. Well spoken Dave.

BTW-Dave, when is your freedom chip stack scheduled to be big enough again to take off for another voyage? We would enjoy more video and excerpts of a new adventure from you.

Keegan
Old 19-07-2008, 23:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
This is so true. It is about sailing, not hulls. Well spoken Dave.

BTW-Dave, when is your freedom chip stack scheduled to be big enough again to take off for another voyage? We would enjoy more video and excerpts of a new adventure from you.

Keegan
I wish I knew the answer to the Freedom Chip question. I'm kind of doing a holding pattern right now deciding where to take the next step.

We returned to the US after a twenty-eight year absence because our parents are 84, 85, 86, and 87 years old, and they needed support. Assisting elderly parents is hard to balance with sailing on the ocean of your dreams.

Since I am in the States, I am working on other dreams that make the holding pattern tolerable. I work on websites, writing, and podcasts that help keep the dreams alive.

Once a week I am a flying doctor, and I get to sail to windward at 10,000 feet in a King Air turboprop at 300 mph. It's a monohull airplane that flies really well to windward. I fly up to Fort Apache - Whiteriver Apache Indian Reservation to see eye patients one day a week. It's not sailing, but it's exciting.

Long term, I have a Land Rover Defender 110 in Whangarei, New Zealand and a Land Rover Defender 130 in Mooloolaba, Australia that are kitted out for expeditionary travel and are ready to drive around the world. I want to do the outback of Australia one more time, then drive from Capetown to Cairo, and follow that up with driving the Pan American Highway from Chile to Alaska.

And then there is Exit Only, high and dry in Florida waiting for a new adventure. The South Pacific and Australia beckons.

Lots of Dreams and running out of time.

The master plan is that I have no master plan. I will see what fits best with my life situation. I can't wait to see what happens next.

With respect to video - Next week I am going Kentucky to see the nearly completed DVD/video that my son David is editing. The video clips on MaxingOut.com are previews of what is on the DVD. The completed DVD/video is called the RED SEA CHRONICLES.

The RED SEA CHRONICLES is one hour and nineteen minutes long, and has an additional fifty minutes of special features that are pertinent to cruising up the Red Sea. It features two songs - The Red Sea Blues - and a second song called - Captain. All of the music in the video is written and performed by David. He does the voiceovers and editing as well. It's totally his project, and he has spent more than a year putting it together. I will see the final cut next week.

With respect to Freedom Chips - I don't plan to ever stop working as I live my dreams. I will earn enough Freedom Chips to pay my way as I go along. I'm not so much worried about money as I am worried about running out of time.
Old 19-07-2008, 23:44   #8

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Once a week I am a flying doctor, and I get to sail to windward at 10,000 feet in a King Air turboprop at 300 mph. It's a monohull airplane that flies really well to windward. I fly up to Fort Apache - Whiteriver Apache Indian Reservation to see eye patients one day a week. It's not sailing, but it's exciting.

Long term, I have a Land Rover Defender 110 in Whangarei, New Zealand and a Land Rover Defender 130 in Mooloolaba, Australia that are kitted out for expeditionary travel and are ready to drive around the world. I want to do the outback of Australia one more time, then drive from Capetown to Cairo, and follow that up with driving the Pan American Highway from Chile to Alaska.

And then there is Exit Only, high and dry in Florida waiting for a new adventure. The South Pacific and Australia beckons.

Lots of Dreams and running out of time.

With respect to video - Next week I am going Kentucky to see the nearly completed DVD/video that my son David is editing. The video clips on MaxingOut.com are previews of what is on the DVD. The completed DVD/video is called the RED SEA CHRONICLES.

The RED SEA CHRONICLES is one hour and nineteen minutes long, and has an additional fifty minutes of special features that are pertinent to cruising up the Red Sea. It features two songs - The Red Sea Blues - and a second song called - Captain. All of the music in the video is written and performed by David. He does the voiceovers and editing as well. It's totally his project, and he has spent more than a year putting it together. I will see the final cut next week.

Dave:

I have flown in a King Air. They are great twin props for sure. Reliable, which is good when you are flying. Good for throwing lots of gear in them also.

I also work closely with a man that founded Chiron vision-which was later acquired by Bausch and Lomb. He has founded many opthalmic technology start ups. I develop medical technology in Electrophysiology and Orthopedics.

I would enjoy a copy of your DVD when finished. I assume it will be for sale on your website?

Time is precious for sure.

I love the idea of drving from Chili to Alaska!
Old 19-07-2008, 23:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Attachment 4386

I think it must be silly season.

I've been listening to people talking about the number of hulls on their yachts rather than about the size of their cruising dreams.

The Cruisersforum works exceptionally well when people focus on their dreams and on assisting their fellow cruisers in making their dreams come true.

I have owned four monohulls and one multihull, and I loved them all. Each one was a compromise, but they were what I could afford at the time. They lived up to their promise, and they helped me live my dreams.

I don't think this forum is about attacking other people who have more or less hulls than you. And I don't think it is about attacking other people who have opinions that are different than yours.

This forum is about living your dreams, and about how you can help other people make their dreams come true. There is a lot of power in the knowledge that we share with each other.

It's the size of your dreams that are important.
I wasn't even going to read this this topic, because I thought it was going to be more of the usual.

Happily, curiosity got the better of me.

Great post.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 00:41   #10

Grammatical Correction - Thank you TaoJones

The saying on the picture and at the end of the post should read:

It's the size of your dreams that's important.
Old 20-07-2008, 04:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I reckon this post should be placed on the top of the thread list with a direction that it should be read before anyone posts in the multihull area. It says what attitude needs to be brought to the discussions.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 06:44   #12

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Dave,
I totally agree. Thanks for posting this thread. I've been active on newsgroup thtreads since the early Usenet days. I see a reproduced pattern in threads here. One poster stirs the pot, and it becomes a back-and-forth argument laced with insults. We all have opinions, but this is a COMMUNITY, and hopefully we share a common passion. It's when we forget the sharing and begin to focus on the differences that it loses its original purpose. Debate is always good: we all learn from it. Insults are useless. We used to call posters who came into a thread and ambushed it for the purpose of stirring up anger, Trolls. I think there are one or two here. One in particular has hijacked multiple threads in the multihulls section. Why?
I have over twenty years of passion for sailing. I own a boat and am in the process of moving from a monohull to a catamaran. My wife and I dream of retiring to a sailboat and sailing long distance. That's why I'm here. I learn so much here.I feel a true sense of community. Thanks to all of you who share my dream. I hope to meet some of you someday on the water, where the sunset looks as beautiful from the cockpit of a tiny boat as from an enormous one.

Spammy (name of my cat, not my email behavior)
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 07:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It says what attitude needs to be brought to the discussions.
It works in all the forums. Our ability to do this well is why CF is as good as it is and has lasted so long. The more people with the right attitude show up and post the more the new people understand why it works. Traditions passed down by example are a very powerful tool. Some traditions are quite simple. If we all remember it can make the bumps along the way seem unimportant.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 07:57   #14

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Dave,

Very well said - an eloquent way of stating what has been on the minds of many here. Thank you.

PS - if you're making grammatical corrections, shouldn't "dreams" be singular?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull