Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you prefer mono- or multihull sailboats for cruising?
Monohull 149 35.73%
Multihull 268 64.27%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2008, 15:04   #406

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Well--you could also think in terms of a Horstmann Tristar--you can load them pretty well so I hear--and my old Piver carries HUGE loads of tools, fuel and water. Of course it slows down the boat--a lot in fact--but grossly overloaded it is only very good sailors in monos set up for cruising who can leave me in their wake.

The Prout Snowgoose, not that I have ever owned one--has solved that annoying noise waves make when they slap up against the underdecking of the bridgedeck by using a central triangular girder which also allows for more storeage.

Obviously heavy stuff such as engines, tankage and bosun's stores should go as low as possible in the hulls--only an idiot would put heavy loads in the bridgedeck.

I think the Prout would be my choice. Just how much heavy stuff do you intend to carry? A monohull does have a great deal more storeage space below the waterline--but they also draw more water too. In that part of the ocean a bit of speed under sail might not be a bad thing. Especially in the Red Sea--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 18:21   #407

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
The prout 37 has a smaller living area than modern cats and a submerged nacelle. The older 1970s version is actually a decent sailor, but I don't think they point well. As to loading it up, I honestly think it would be harder to overload that boat as it doesn't have the vast open spaces the newer boats have which beg to be loaded up. The boats have been circumnavigated routinely, so I imagine it would be capable of doing your trip as others have gone before and done the same thing. But, as others have said, if you really want to carry a lot of stuff with you, it wouldn't have the space of a 45 ft mono as the Prout 37s beam is much less than new multis and it's load carrying ability would be less. Couples that I've buddy cruised with on Prout 37s were definitely minimalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg9208 View Post
I have read all of the answers on this thread but really haven't found the answers to the three basic questions about Cats.
All my previous cruising has been in monohulls but next year we are proposing buying a boat to liveaboard, sail down to the Med for a few years and then, possibly bimble across the Indian Ocean to India and Sri lanka. As we would like to take as many important bits of our present life as is practical, we are likely to farily well loaded at the very start and for the bluewater bit loaded with provisions and fuel, all kept as low as possible. Now I like the Snowgoose but 'her indoors' thinks Cats are ugly however I think I can probably address that challenge but my own concern, due to lack of firsthand knowledge is the frequent reference to degradation of performance of Cats when overloaded. What I must ask is 1) just how much is weight is needed to 'overload' a Snowgoose 2) Just how much effect on performance and stability would 'overloading' cause 3)Is the Snowgoose right for the task 4) What effect to windward ability and handling/manoverability, or should I stick with monohull.
Bear in mind that I'm not interested in racing just to go fast enough to get out of trouble.
TIA

Brian Owen
Home page
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 18:47   #408
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
There are some threads discussing the Snowgoose so you may want to check them out. With around 100 circumnavigations to it's credit it is obliviously a capable seaworthy design that would seem to have an adequate payload. I can't find any payload specs on this boat. At 37 feet I doubt you would have a performance edge over a 45 foot monohull but at least they should be similar. From what I have read this boat has no problem knocking out 150 mile days on passage. The older Snowgoose is known to have better sailing performance than the Snowgoose Elite. The Elite is wider and a little roomier inside. The change was made around 1985-6. In this instance the benefits of the Prout would be shallower draft, easier to handle rig, and level sailing. At first glance you may not think it looks like a world cruiser with it's narrow beam, solid bridgedeck and that Prout rig. The bow shape, canoe stern, center nacelle, bulletproof construction, and the rig all work together to make it what it is. This boat is made to cross oceans. The Snowgoose is no speedster and it does not look much like todays new cats but it's record speaks for itself.
If windward ability and load carrying capacity are your main concerns maybe the monohull would be better or like others have said a bigger cat.
If you overload it the bridgedeck may slam going upwind and you will slow it down but by how much? How much are you going to overload it? Hard things to quantify. I would talk with a Prout owners association as they may be able to get more specific. I think we have a few Prout owners on this board.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 01:38   #409

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
The main attraction of an older Prout cat is it's passage making on a cruise.
OK, you need to plan for seasons rather than weeks but it's speed at 50deg off the wind will get you away from the worst of the weather or into another place worth a weekend visit. Good passages are very good and clam days are slower than a mono but you sit flat without the pendulum effect.
And in harbour all the mono cruiser's come to you so they can gather in comfort and see their own pride and joy. And drink your rum. And they still won't like cats!
Old 28-03-2008, 07:22   #410

Prout vs monohull

Thank you for your input, I suspect that I was really getting confirmation what I sub consciously believe in any case - Next question! Amel Maruma or Colvic Victor, any thoughts, suggestions or experiences?
TIA
Brian Owen
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 14:51   #411

May I interject from a different point of view... Brian (BG928)... Cats are my choice but DO NOT overload... Judging by the style produced in SA and Aus, more beam & greater bridgedeck clearance for Indian & Pacific Ocean work - also with a "large chamfer" between inside of hulls to bridgedeck for extra buoyancy in seas... Shelter from PELTING monsoonal rain and searing sun & water reflection will fry exposed skin quickly... Bob Oram Design the 44-C is my choice and would suit your needs in the tropics.... Don't expect marinas, clean fuel, and your usual European expectations except for some popular tourist centres... but what an adventure you will have...
masalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 07:13   #412

If I were to buy one today I would look for a Dragonfly 35 or a F31, F33 but cant seem to find the F33 anywhere. That extra 2 foot gives you more room. If I was rich I would go for a Gunboat, but I would still research other cats. I grew up on mono-hulls and recently been on F24 and a F27 they were amazing! We were in light air the water was glassy , I could see my face, and we were doing like 5 knots every little puff of air you would feel the boat nudge forward. It was very cool and from that day I was converted over. Because I am not a swimmer either and hate things touching my feet, I love the trimarans that I can beach! Some people worry about the inside of the boats not having that much room in them, well my dad had a Abbott 33 and it was narrow and we thought it was fast! If you are a true sailor that is what you will be doing anyway , and you will only be sleeping inside. Of course this is perfect for the weekend sailor!

That is what we did. I see some of you are live aboard and cruise across the ocean to islands, well I have never done that and I don't think I will! The ocean is another beast and to me you better know what you are doing! As long as you think ahead before doing something like a ocean crossing! If I had someone aboard that has done it 500 times I would consider it, maybe...
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:43   #413

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Just re-reading this thread and I have to admit that the picture on the cruiser forums heading says it all!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 16:46   #414

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Just re-reading this thread and I have to admit that the picture on the cruiser forums heading says it all!!!
The pictures change and right now there is not one.

??
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 17:09   #415

Boat: next
BG....
An ex girlfriend has a Colvic Victor in Hong Kong, I've sailed it many times and raced it once. It was a very sound, solid boat. Good cruiser, not that fast though... She was a ketch and seemed to have a small rig... don't know or remember any numbers...
Good Luck.....
airacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:13   #416

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by airacer View Post
BG....
An ex girlfriend has a Colvic Victor in Hong Kong, I've sailed it many times and raced it once. It was a very sound, solid boat. Good cruiser, not that fast though... She was a ketch and seemed to have a small rig... don't know or remember any numbers...
Good Luck.....
I must admit I have had girlfriends with a small rig, but none as ketches.
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43   #417

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The pictures change and right now there is not one.

??
The heading with the palm tree, dinghy, crystal clear blue water and a catamaran changes? It's been the same since I joined. Very top of the page with with Cruisers Forum is what I consider the header/heading, although my comp lingo is not top notch.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:49   #418

multis float

I just saw the poll. I am a firm fan of monohulls. I much prefer their motion. Monohulls will cut through a wave, a cat floats over them. The motion of one hull on a crest and another in a trough is uncomfortable to me.

Many years I sailed a monohull in company with a cat in the Leewards. All of the motion seasickness was on the cat, none on the monohull.

My $.02.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:16   #419
cruiser

Over vs. through the waves

"...firm fan of monohulls. I much prefer their motion. Monohulls will cut through a wave, a cat floats over them."

Hi, Jack - I'm sure you know which you find more comfortable, but your explanation for why makes no sense. Boats either float or sink. The quick motion of a multihull comes from its great beam and light weight, which makes the movements short and quick. The great beam also makes the multihull respond to different parts of a wave at the same time, sometimes.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:48   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
"...firm fan of monohulls. I much prefer their motion. Monohulls will cut through a wave, a cat floats over them."

Hi, Jack - I'm sure you know which you find more comfortable, but your explanation for why makes no sense. Boats either float or sink. The quick motion of a multihull comes from its great beam and light weight, which makes the movements short and quick. The great beam also makes the multihull respond to different parts of a wave at the same time, sometimes.
It is that short quick motion that I do not like. The weight of a monohull seems to temper any motion.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull