Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 06:14   #856

Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

"Needs some work"

That is an understatement... If it is only cosmetic stuff and a few replacement parts, that would be one thing. Why wouldn't they spend a day with a pressure washer, and then hire a painter to bottom (and top) paint the boat. Get a few cushions and a replacement seat. The 6 hp probably does just fine getting it out of the marina and for setting an anchor. I worry more about what condition the mast and sails are in, along with all the rigging that would need to be done.

Still, I am surprised that it is going for $16,000. A monohull in that condition would be a few thousand.

But, it is a low price for a Gemini. They used to go for $30k a few years ago, now they are back up to $40k.
1984 Gemini 3000 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 06:48   #857
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
"Needs some work"

That is an understatement... If it is only cosmetic stuff and a few replacement parts, that would be one thing. Why wouldn't they spend a day with a pressure washer, and then hire a painter to bottom (and top) paint the boat. Get a few cushions and a replacement seat. The 6 hp probably does just fine getting it out of the marina and for setting an anchor. I worry more about what condition the mast and sails are in, along with all the rigging that would need to be done.

Still, I am surprised that it is going for $16,000. A monohull in that condition would be a few thousand.

But, it is a low price for a Gemini. They used to go for $30k a few years ago, now they are back up to $40k.
1984 Gemini 3000 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
My concern would be "how long and how much water was in the boat", that water/dirt line dosent look like a "good thing" ,at least the fellow didnt try to hide it and would probably be honest about problems..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 07:37   #858

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I own a 1988 gemini 3000 which I bought as a project last year and after several work trips to make it seaworthy, and this summer delivered it 1500 miles on its own bottom through the great lakes under power only with a 9.9 yamaha. So, if anyone is interested in that gemini pm me and I can tell you what to look for. I am a boatbuilder by trade and am amazed at how poorly these things were built but there are really no other cats out there which fills their niche, hence the popularity, they are indeed a nice boat to travel and live on, after 32 days on the go with 3 to 4 people aboard I didnt want to get off.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 08:49   #859

I think the issue is who is in the market for a 25-34' catamaran and who is in the market for a 40-49' catamaran are two different markets. One, you can get away with charging a higher profit margin to, the smaller boat, you have to cut some corners to get the costs down. And you have to make and sell more of them.

It can't be that poorly made if a 25 year old boat was ale to travel 1500 miles...
Old 15-12-2013, 10:11   #860

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Several years ago, neighbors of ours sailed their late 70's Gemini to Mexico from Whidbey Island WA.
They eventually sailed it to Guatemala where they sold it and built a house.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 13:30   #861

That Gemini 3000 for sale claims a couple of trans atlantic crossings, you would have to be insane, there is no way they are structually sound enough for that without major, major upgrades, even then, not really,these are not strong boats. They are however well suited to what they were sold for, a very comfortable coastal cruiser.

Steve.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:35   #862

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
That Gemini 3000 for sale claims a couple of trans atlantic crossings, you would have to be insane, there is no way they are structually sound enough for that without major, major upgrades, even then, not really,these are not strong boats. They are however well suited to what they were sold for, a very comfortable coastal cruiser.

Steve.
Not that i would do it but,
There's Slapdash and CF member MrBig who sailed his from Fiji to OZ. So how did it it get to Fiji? And I've seen a pic of one in Patagonia.
I would say that these are built good enough.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:35   #863
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Supply and demand. Not many cheap cats around plenty of monos being scrapped for lead. This boat will sell fast, but it the rough equivelant of a Catalina 27.
Old 15-12-2013, 13:36   #864
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

At least one Catalina 27 circumnavigated so obviously they are true Water boats">blue water boats also!
Old 15-12-2013, 16:25   #865

Sand Crab, there is a lot to be said for good enough and the "classic" Geminis, (these are the 3000, 3200 and 3400s based on the old Aristocat molds)are indeed good enough for coastal cruising otherwise I wouldnt have bought one. However there is no excuse for some of the schlock workmanship involved in important structural installations such as bulkheads. Better use of materials and procedures could have resulted in boats of far better quality for no extra labor cost, clearly there were no boatbuilders on staff at the time mine was built. I am aware of a few ocean passages done by Gemini 105s but not the classics, maybe they were better built but I wouldnt count on it based on them having built over 200 boats before mine and still hadnt learned a thing. I have seen many backyard built boats built to a far higher standard.

Steve.
Old 15-12-2013, 17:26   #866
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I know of one Gemini 3000 that has been through the canal twice. Once from Florida to California and also the return trip. Doesn't mean they were built as blue water cruisers though.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 17:59   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I know of one Gemini 3000 that has been through the canal twice. Once from Florida to California and also the return trip. Doesn't mean they were built as blue water cruisers though.
Essentially coastal cruising, not quite like crossing the atlantic.

Steve.
Old 15-12-2013, 18:17   #868

I'm not necessarily looking for a blue water boat though.

I am a bad estimator of work and costs. Assuming that the boat is structurally sound, and that the electronics all work (except for replacement batteries), how much would you estimate it would cost to bring that Gemini 3000 boat back up to liveaboard condition. I'm not going to buy that boat, but I'm wondering if it is $2,000 or $10,000.
Old 15-12-2013, 18:24   #869

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Not that i would do it but,
There's Slapdash and CF member MrBig who sailed his from Fiji to OZ. So how did it it get to Fiji? And I've seen a pic of one in Patagonia.
I would say that these are built good enough.
I think Mr B's experience with rebuilding his Gemini only confirms what ClockworkOrange is saying about being poorly built.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 20:02   #870

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

42' tri $8000 in Fla.
Trimaran 42 MKII
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42 tri.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	72277