Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 14:27   #316
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

now i have moved over to the "dark side",my latest project,might be of interest to those that like boats that float either way up

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 20:31   #317

Boat: None currently.

Aloha!
I'm very interested in Mad Dog (1974 Brown Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com)

I spoke with Kirby, but I need some other opinions before I commit to a trip to CA. I'm trying to get my brother to go check it out. He's nearby, but so far unresponsive.

I sent an e-mail to Jim Brown regarding the boat and he wasn't helpful at all. His response: "Sorry Craig, can't help you. But Fair Winds. Jim"

I was wondering if Steve from Sonoma went to look at it? If so, what did you think?

Could DogGone call me at 808-747-0060? (Steve, you can call me, too.)

Anyone else have an opinion?

I'm looking for a fixer I can "customize". I would want to make it more like a Catamaran. I have a family of 4 and I want to be able to take it from Hawaii to the S. Pacific. I want to be able to live on it, should a "crisis" present itself, and I want it to sail pretty well. Any customization would be with light-gauge steel framing for minimal weight.

I understand it needs engine work, but that's not a problem for me. I've built houses and rebuilt V-8's.

My concern is whether it's leaking. I was told it's been sitting in the water for 10 years.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Craig
CraigDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 00:05   #318

How about this one in Sacramento, CA? I spoke with the guy today and he said he's received 50 calls in the last few days. A lot of interest, but no one's come up with the cash yet. It's too big for me and I probably couldn't get there before it sells.

55-FT SPECIAL MADE TRIMARAN, 1980
Sacramento $27,000. It's a steal.

Trimaran Piver 55x26-ft. Lots of new parts. Hot shower. New Lectra/San. New carpet, hatches, windows, non-skid. Five berths, 4 Queen + 1 King. Large party pit at wheel area. Great liveaboard. More pictures available.
(916) 521-9847
Old 25-05-2013, 04:25   #319

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDC View Post
Aloha!
I'm very interested in Mad Dog (1974 Brown Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com)

I'm looking for a fixer I can "customize". I would want to make it more like a Catamaran. I have a family of 4 and I want to be able to take it from Hawaii to the S. Pacific. I want to be able to live on it, should a "crisis" present itself, and I want it to sail pretty well. Any customization would be with light-gauge steel framing for minimal weight.

Craig
That's an interesting one.
I don't know why you would want to use steel framing in a wood/glass boat. This is never done. However the pilot house could be modified and enlarged to add wing deck berths which is fairly typical on tris. Make sure you have a large wallet because that one will swallow up $50,000 real quick. Maybe double that. And because of it's funky design and age you have to ask yourself if it would be worth what you put into it. That boat will never be worth $100,000. Be cautious. It needs everything.
Old 25-05-2013, 04:28   #320

Quote:
How about this one in Sacramento, CA? I spoke with the guy today and he said he's received 50 calls in the last few days. A lot of interest, but no one's come up with the cash yet. It's too big for me and I probably couldn't get there before it sells.

55-FT SPECIAL MADE TRIMARAN, 1980
Sacramento $27,000. It's a steal.

Trimaran Piver 55x26-ft. Lots of new parts. Hot shower. New Lectra/San. New carpet, hatches, windows, non-skid. Five berths, 4 Queen + 1 King. Large party pit at wheel area. Great liveaboard. More pictures available.
(916) 521-9847
And it comes with hot chicks. See post 154.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-97873-11.html
Old 25-05-2013, 04:49   #321
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Aloha!

I spoke with Kirby, but I need some other opinions before I commit to a trip to CA. I'm trying to get my brother to go check it out. He's nearby, but so far unresponsive.

I sent an e-mail to Jim Brown regarding the boat and he wasn't helpful at all. His response: "Sorry Craig, can't help you. But Fair Winds. Jim"

I was wondering if Steve from Sonoma went to look at it? If so, what did you
think?

I understand it needs engine work, but that's not a problem for me. I've built houses and rebuilt V-8's.

My concern is whether it's leaking. I was told it's been sitting in the water for 10 years.

Craig
I guess Jim is to busy making youtube videos covering every possible detail of his SR 31. anyway, if you are serious about this boat I would call and offer to pay John Marples for a consult. I have never heard of this Jim Brown design and imagine it must be something of a white elephant for him to have no response. Jo Hudson just recently sold a CC 35 she had owned. Marples will know.
Old 25-05-2013, 05:30   #322

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Aloha!

I was wondering if Steve from Sonoma went to look at it? If so, what did you think?

Craig
Before you waste your time going to look at it get someone to verify what resin it is sheathed with, at that vintage, for reasons that are an absolute mystery to me, a lot of older Jim brown boats were sheathed with glass cloth and polyester resin, if you ended up re sheathing all or any of it there are acres of surface area to deal with. We have only ever had two larger searunners in this area, one pro built, one amature, both 31s and both polyester boats, both went under the chainsaw and went to the landfill.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 05:54   #323
Marine Service Provider

Make sure to also seek advice from someone that knows something about a ply and glass boat! polyester would have been used since epoxy was not widely used in 1974? A real mystery there for sure!

Plenty of older polyester and ply boats around that are in much better shape than newer epoxy "sealed" boats.
Old 25-05-2013, 06:08   #324

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Make sure to also seek advice from someone that knows something about a ply and glass boat! polyester would have been used since epoxy was not widely used in 1974? A real mystery there for sure!

Plenty of older polyester and ply boats around that are in much better shape than newer epoxy "sealed" boats.
We had epoxy in common boatbuiding use since the 1950s in New Zealand and most of the Pacific Basin, Ciba Giegy, Epiglass and others, ive got to believe epoxy was readily available here also, no?

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 12:44   #325

Sounds like I'd be better off waiting for something that needs less work. My budget is considerably lower than that.

This one looks interesting, but it's a tad on the small side for a family of 4. Would it's size lend itself to comfortable long distance cruising?

1983 Prout Quest Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mahalo for all the feedback!
Old 25-05-2013, 15:40   #326

Boat: Cross 38' trimaran

( Quote from CraigDC ) :

Aloha!
(snip)

This is Steve in Sonoma. I did see "Mad Dog" briefly... did not board her...
stevelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:55   #327

Hi Steve,
Can you please elaborate? Did it look like too much work/expense? Did you see any big repair problems?

I'm having a difficult time, given my minimal boat experience, seeing why it could take $50k plus to make it livable/sailable.

My brother has some valuable boat building experience/nightmares and he will be giving the boat a look-over tomorrow.

Would you be willing to call me at 808-747-0060, or send me your number so I can call you?

Why wouldn't I want to use light gauge steel instead of heavier, rot-prone wood? I've built houses using it and it works very nicely.
Old 25-05-2013, 16:31   #328

Quote:
Hi Steve,
I'm having a difficult time, given my minimal boat experience, seeing why it could take $50k plus to make it livable/sailable.
Let me try to help you out.
This boat needs or will need
New engine
Shaft and seals and prop work
Bottom job
Rudder work and there are 2
Steering wheel and misc hardware.
Auto pilot
Complete rig including mast, booms, sails, standing and running rigging Yes I know there are wood masts laying around that haven't been on the boat in 10 years.
Winches, clutches, blocks etc
Total paint including interior, hull and top sides and the rot repair you will find.
Complete new electrical including wiring, inverters, chargers, solar wind genny etc.
Electronics like radar, chartplotter, gps, epirb, various communication devices, etc.
Liferaft
Dingy and motor
Haulout and resplash and yard bill
And on and on
It may be a good deal at that price but you will need a much bigger bankroll after purchase. I'm still not sure what you intend to do with the steel studs but add that into the costs.
Old 25-05-2013, 16:45   #329

Now I get the picture. Thanks!
Sounds like I should be looking for a different project.

Please point me toward one if you see one.

Thanks again!
Old 25-05-2013, 17:08   #330
Marine Service Provider

I was on a junk SR 37 in Miami last year the guy had done a poor glass job over all rot and reinforced the areas with steel joist brackets and 2 by lumber. He never hauled out and was getting ready to circumnavigate. The engine and rig were good on that boat.

A guy managed to limp to RI, if you check the Searunner thread you can find the link to his pics. He just keep working aft on all three hulls and the rot continues. I'm certain this particular 45' is not worth the effort. It would have sold by now if it was.

Build yourself a nice Woods Vardo or Romany, less money and maybe not much more time. You'll also end up with a boat you can afford to dock and maintain and find someone to buy when the time comes.

Tags
cheap, paracelle