Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2024, 16:37   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Are Catanas good??

The YoungBarnacles YouTube channel… that’s a Catana, isn’t it?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 17:39   #17

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Looking at a Catana 58, what’s the problem with hydraulic steering on the Catana?
Don't quote me but I seem to remember owners having trouble keeping the rudders in line. One would drift compared to the other which would make the owners near mad attempting to fix.
Old 22-02-2024, 01:59   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Don't quote me but I seem to remember owners having trouble keeping the rudders in line. One would drift compared to the other which would make the owners near mad attempting to fix.

This is a common problem related to any steering system with a hydraulic tie bar rather than a fixed tie rod between twin rudders. It is easily fixed by installing a remotely operated bypass valve or Le Combie and Schmitt alignment valves.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 04:06   #19

Catana 40S and I think all the 1/2d gens (prior to 1992/XX1 have a Whitlock rack and pinion with tiller crossbeam
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 06:04   #20

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Honestly I can’t see any drawbacks with out board helms. And do sail 100% in the tropics.
The subject has been discussed many times and opinions vary widely.
I've only day sailed a Catana, but I found the outboard helm positions uncomfortable in boisterous winds and seas in the Caribbean. I think they would be very tiring, but I suppose most people seem to proceed under autopilot most of the time. Now that I have a protected steering station on my pilothouse boat I would have a tough time ever going back. Just keeping the wind out of your face reduces fatigue by 100%.
Old 22-02-2024, 06:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've only day sailed a Catana, but I found the outboard helm positions uncomfortable in boisterous winds and seas in the Caribbean. I think they would be very tiring, but I suppose most people seem to proceed under autopilot most of the time. Now that I have a protected steering station on my pilothouse boat I would have a tough time ever going back. Just keeping the wind out of your face reduces fatigue by 100%.

It's personal choice, they are great for racing, or round the buoys with a crew, but the only time cruisers really steer is when coming into port, pilotage, or when the weather is really bad both times being in a sheltered environment is way better than being exposed.
Old 24-02-2024, 04:08   #22

For 10 years and thousands of miles, and have never felt like I didn’t want my outboard helms. Switching to high/low side, appropriate clothing solves most issues. In crap wx I want to make sure I can see, so getting rained on is just part of that and had I an enclosure, I would doubtless drop it for safety
Old 29-02-2024, 21:09   #23

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

We put 10's of thousands of cruising miles on our Catana 48, and the outboard helms on it were great. The leeward helm was much better protected than the helm on most mono-hulls, and you can still see what is happening with the sails.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:10   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
We put 10's of thousands of cruising miles on our Catana 48, and the outboard helms on it were great. The leeward helm was much better protected than the helm on most mono-hulls, and you can still see what is happening with the sails.
That is a dubious statement and of course incorrect. The leeward helm position on a monohull is protected by heel and for lack of heel with catamarans, they need the helm position forward to find protection by the house.

That said, I like the Catanas and their helm positions. There’s no need for protection because in my world you only touch the helm while anchoring, docking etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:56   #25

Jedi is the one who is incorrect.

I can attest to Morwood’s statement from personal experience. IIRC both Morwood and I have 2d gen Catanas so perhaps they are different from the Barreau designs.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:14   #26

Agreed; the leeward helm on a Catana is quite well protected by the salon. Relying on heel with a monhull for protection from the elements is silly. The biggest point is however; do you really need to be at a helm for long passages. With a good forward facing nav, watch is it easily managed from the comforts of the salon. The only time you really need to be at a helm in inclement weather is when mooring/tight maneuvering, autopilot failure, or if you just want to be.
dpignolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:02   #27

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

this is from someone that has never sailed a Catana so it might not be worth much. It really depends on how you plan to use the boat. If you are cruising long term and expect to be heavily loaded you are no longer going to have a high performance boat. On the other hand if you plan only short cruises and keep it light it is a very nice boat. I once was sailing from Morgan's Bluff in the Bahamas to Highborne Cay when a 43 ft Catana came out of one of the Marinas on the south side and turned about a half mile or so behind us. I remarked to my wife that we would soon be seeing his stern. Wind was about 60 degrees off the port bow at about 12 knots. Surprisingly to me we got to Highborne almost an hour ahead of them. I talked to the owner a couple of days later and he told me that when it was loaded up for cruising it really slowed down. My boat is a fixed stub keel condomaran and no one would ever call it a high performance boat, especially going to windward. Such boats seem to handle a load better without as much of a performance hit. Catanas seem to be great high performing boats if you keep them light. So what it comes down to is it the right boat for how you are planning to use it?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
this is from someone that has never sailed a Catana so it might not be worth much. It really depends on how you plan to use the boat. If you are cruising long term and expect to be heavily loaded you are no longer going to have a high performance boat. On the other hand if you plan only short cruises and keep it light it is a very nice boat. I once was sailing from Morgan's Bluff in the Bahamas to Highborne Cay when a 43 ft Catana came out of one of the Marinas on the south side and turned about a half mile or so behind us. I remarked to my wife that we would soon be seeing his stern. Wind was about 60 degrees off the port bow at about 12 knots. Surprisingly to me we got to Highborne almost an hour ahead of them. I talked to the owner a couple of days later and he told me that when it was loaded up for cruising it really slowed down. My boat is a fixed stub keel condomaran and no one would ever call it a high performance boat, especially going to windward. Such boats seem to handle a load better without as much of a performance hit. Catanas seem to be great high performing boats if you keep them light. So what it comes down to is it the right boat for how you are planning to use it?

Catanas are not light boats to begin with a 43 loaded is about twice the weight of my boat (loaded). Because of the weight they are not good in light winds. A lot of people pay over the odds for performance boats and then load them up like condormarans. If you own a performance boat and want to achieve any real performance from it you need to be ruthless about the weight of everything that is put on board.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:02   #29

The earlier (1980s-1992) Catanas were not as heavy as the later Barreau designs.

That said, it is well worth repeating the importance of keeping weight out of your multihull, no matter the make, really
Old 06-03-2024, 13:59   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I am considering buying a early 2000 s Catana. Are they easy to maintain ,durable, ad handle nice??
Generally speaking old Catamas are a bit heavier. Many people are arguing on the helm position, I just love it. The biggest problem is the scarce view of the opposite bow when you manoeuvring or sailing in crowded waters.
They are well made and robust boats.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana