Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2008, 18:13   #1

New 41ft and 46ft Catanas Coming

I think these are new. I hadn't seen them before and they are not on the Catana web site.

I grabbed these images from a Catana ad in the Multihulls-World special issue #3 that showed the two new boats coming in what looks like 2008 or maybe 2009, one is 41ft and the other is 46ft. There was also a sketch of the Catana 46 interior. Definitely different, but interesting layout.

There is a short description of the 46, but I can't copy that here, I think that would be against the TOS for this forum.

Let the drool-fest begin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catana range.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	4792   Click image for larger version

Name:	catana 46 interior.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	4793  

capezio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 19:21   #2

I forgot to include the exterior shot of the 46. I like the black mast and boom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catana 46 exterior.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	4794  
Old 22-08-2008, 01:36   #3

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Let's hope that they survive long enough for the boats to arrive! Also hope that they wisen up and go back to their roots, i.e. making well performing cats instead of the trend we have seen in the latter years, where they are way too heavy and expensive.

Poncin group who own Catana are in deep trouble I read on another post, would be a shame if they leqve the market.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 02:28   #4

Harmony is the part of the Poncincompany with biggest problem. Only built by order right now.

Nordic: I agree with to expensive, but are they heavy 2?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 02:38   #5

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Also hope that they wisen up and go back to their roots, i.e. making well performing cats instead of the trend we have seen in the latter years, where they are way too heavy and expensive. alan
Judging by the hull windows I doubt it

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 04:13   #6

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Nordic: I agree with to expensive, but are they heavy 2?
The Catana 50 weighs in at 16.5T (33,000lbs)empty (As advertised ?). Add 1.5T for fuel and water, generator, aircon, crusing gear etc etc you are up to around 20 tonnes. For a 50ft boat that is heavy.

My thoughts are that they should go back to the winning formula that they used for the 471 and 431 boats which were well finished and performed.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 06:44   #7

Heavy or not, these new boats will perform at least better than the current crop of charter cats out there right now and will be a far cry less expensive than a carbon fiber job like a Gunboat.

For people like me that can't afford a 50, but don't want to buy a second-hand cat, this new 41 will probably do nicely. I don't want to buy the current 43, the fit and finish of the interior is not up to the level of the 50 and the design and materials feel dated.
Old 22-08-2008, 07:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capezio11 View Post
Heavy or not, these new boats will perform at least better than the current crop of charter cats out there right now and will be a far cry less expensive than a carbon fiber job like a Gunboat.

For people like me that can't afford a 50, but don't want to buy a second-hand cat, this new 41 will probably do nicely. I don't want to buy the current 43, the fit and finish of the interior is not up to the level of the 50 and the design and materials feel dated.
Don't get me wrong I really like the Catana's but they are all very expensive and my point is that if they use the same build methods as the 50 they will both be heavy and therefore will not perform as well as the 431 and 471/2. So you will be paying 30% more than the charter cats you mentioned for a very nicely finished cat with similar or poorer performance?
Old 22-08-2008, 09:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
Don't get me wrong I really like the Catana's but they are all very expensive and my point is that if they use the same build methods as the 50 they will both be heavy and therefore will not perform as well as the 431 and 471/2. So you will be paying 30% more than the charter cats you mentioned for a very nicely finished cat with similar or poorer performance?
I agree they'll likely be heavier than their predecessors, but they won't be dogs. All variables being equal, a Lagoon 500 could not keep pace with a Catana 50...I see no reason why that wouldn't be true of these new models as well.
Old 22-08-2008, 09:09   #10

Quote:
I agree they'll likely be heavier than their predecessors, but they won't be dogs. All variables being equal, a Lagoon 500 could not keep pace with a Catana 50...I see no reason why that wouldn't be true of these new models as well.

I have you run the numbers to get an indication of this? Try calculating the Texel rating for both boats. ( I haven't done it) but the result might be closer than you think. There is a calculator available here on CF, otherwise search for the spreadsheet posted by TERHOHALME and run the numbers.

Please post them if you do..

Regards

Alan
Old 22-08-2008, 10:02   #11

Boat: PDQ Antares 44
I recall hearing/reading that the initial models of the Catana 50 were indeed heavy and that this impacted their performance. The same source indicated that Catana had redesigned later builds and were targetting significant reductions in the weight.

Anyone have more information on this?
gholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 10:38   #12

Quote:
I think you might well be suprised comparing these two but what do I know?
As I said I like the Catana's but I cannot justify personally paying 30% more for the latest range until they have proved themselves as the performance boats they always used to be.
Old 22-08-2008, 13:33   #13

I just watched this video:

The old fashioned and heavy build method shown (hand lamination) might be part of the reason for the excessive weight. They quote 16500 kgs lightship on the Catana site.

The bridgedeck clearance seems a bit compromised by the large bulge at the leading edge of the bridgedeck.

I am not a fan of those large windows that need to be covered up during the day beacuase the saloon would otherwise get too hot. It's also extra work.

I haven't found the sail area spec yet.

Regards

Alan
Old 22-08-2008, 13:46   #14

I just looked up some figures:

Catana 50: Lagoon 500

Lwl: 15 m 14.93 m

Displ. 16.5 tons 17.7 tons

SA 134 m2 154,2 m2

SA/D 8.12 8.71

So on paper the Lagoon should be at least as fast. I know there are lots of other factors, that influence performance, but the Catana is not likely to be faster than the Lagoon. Suprises me that they were so close.

The Catana Sail Area is with the standard jib whereas the Lagoon has a larger genoa, but even compensating for that it's anyones guess wich would sail faster.

regards

Alan