Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2021, 12:41   #1

Are Catanas good??

I am considering buying a early 2000 s Catana. Are they easy to maintain ,durable, ad handle nice??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 16:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catana 47
Re: Are Catanas good??

Depending of what has been replaced on a 20 year old boat. But in general Catanas are a bit more complex to maintain compared to a more basic catamaran. More expensive also since she’s a powerful boat and equipped with high quality rigging and hardware, which costs obliviously more but on the other hand brakes less if not pushed to the limits. An inbuilt margin of safety which is comfortable when the weather gets rough.
The construction method and materials used are also of high quality which makes them durable: vinylester, carbon, twaron, glassed in bulkheads, fournitures and flooring in sandwich, infusion...and as you might have noticed, have hence a higher resale value.
Even though many Catanas have been in charter, they were primarily designed for sailors and water sailing">blue water sailing. All running rigging is lead back to the cockpit, no need to go to the mast for reefing and hoisting sails. This means of course longer halyards, reefing lines, more blocks and so on. Yes, a bit more cost and maintenance. On the other hand you have many more options the trim the sails and the boat it self, adjusting the dagger boards and the double mainsheet on the mainsail. For exemple my C47 is equipped with 7 winches and 15 stoppers, as per on a more basic boat you’ll find much less. All this hardware will need maintenance but makes handling and manouvering much easier. If you’re a keen sailor you will not regret the extra effort.
Thomas
Chablis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 18:26   #3

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

@Chablis 1

As to use the helm exclusively in tropical areas. Trully, how much of a drawback would you say it is from 1-10?

is a 471 or 431 better than a model without the '1'?

I know there're Carbon and S but don't know if there's a '1' denomination.

Why is the 471 so popular when it's SA/Displacement isn't way better than competitors? daggerboards?

Thanks a lot!
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 19:05   #4

Boat: Catana 53

Greetings,

There is a Catana owners group here: https://catanacats.groups.io/g/main.

You may find a lot of helpful information from this group. I certainly have. Lot’s of information from experienced Catana owners.

Good luck with your project.

Steve
Maybers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 19:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Honestly I can’t see any drawbacks with out board helms. And do sail 100% in the tropics.
The subject has been discussed many times and opinions vary widely.
The new C47 which replaced the 471 is actually only 46 feet. There is nothing revolutionary between them, the C47 hulls are a bit wider,luckily no more hydraulic steering, neither electronic cartes for pumps and other items that was a pain on old models. Many other small improvements learned over the years from former Catana sailors. The layout is more modern, engins more accessible and so forth. Both models are great for cruising.
The S nomination was used on the older generation, like C42S and C44S. Not sure what it stands for. The Carbon nomination came on the newer C47 even though all Catanas use carbon in some hull areas. I believe it’s more a commercial thing.
The C47/471 and many other Catana models are very popular among cruisers since the balance is good between payload and speed. Dagger boards help improve upp wind performance, and often forgotten, down wind performance when they are fully raised. They are not Ferraris but more like Mercedes. Very stiff, well built and can average many ocean miles in confort. Don’t forget that confort at sea is more important than confort at anchor. If your boat don’t sail well, or you have to wait days for a perfect weather window you’re voyage will be less pleasant. Performance is pleasure and safety at sea.
Thomas
Old 21-02-2021, 20:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

I forgot to mention that in between, if I’m not wrong 2002-2009, the C47 Ocean Class was produce when Olivier Poncin took over the yard. Easily recognized by the fixed Bimini supported by two thick beams. Same hulls as the C471/472. As from last year no more C47 is produced. The success of the Bali line had it’s toll on the Catana line.
Thomas
Old 21-02-2021, 20:53   #7

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chablis 1 View Post
Honestly I can’t see any drawbacks with out board helms. And do sail 100% in the tropics.
no more hydraulic steering
Thanks!
Interesting that it would have hydraulic steering with helm so close to rudder!?
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 21:47   #8

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
Thanks!

Interesting that it would have hydraulic steering with helm so close to rudder!?

Hydraulic hoses are small and can be lead any which way, while direct drive systems whether cable or geared have to be laid out with fair runs. Remember that each helm has to control both rudders!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 23:14   #9

Boat: LAGOON 400

i have done lots of research on catanas 431 471. Really nice boats. My wife was also already sold.

Until we saw Catana that was in repair, hull repair i think. Just looked very complicated...

In other words, if you happy to spend extra on maintenance, go for it. Joy to sail.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 23:17   #10

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Depending of what has been replaced on a 20 year old boat. But in general Catanas are a bit more complex to maintain compared to a more basic catamaran. More expensive also since she’s a powerful boat and equipped with high quality rigging and hardware, which costs obliviously more but on the other hand brakes less if not pushed to the limits. An inbuilt margin of safety which is comfortable when the weather gets rough.
The construction method and materials used are also of high quality which makes them durable: vinylester, carbon, twaron, glassed in bulkheads, fournitures and flooring in sandwich, infusion...and as you might have noticed, have hence a higher resale value.
Even though many Catanas have been in charter, they were primarily designed for sailors and blue water sailing. All running rigging is lead back to the cockpit, no need to go to the mast for reefing and hoisting sails. This means of course longer halyards, reefing lines, more blocks and so on. Yes, a bit more cost and maintenance. On the other hand you have many more options the trim the sails and the boat it self, adjusting the dagger boards and the double mainsheet on the mainsail. For exemple my C47 is equipped with 7 winches and 15 stoppers, as per on a more basic boat you’ll find much less. All this hardware will need maintenance but makes handling and manouvering much easier. If you’re a keen sailor you will not regret the extra effort.
Thomas
i could not say it any better. matches my research.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 04:08   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think the S versions were a more high performance boat with a taller mast but I might be wrong on that part. A member here had a C48S.

The carbon boats used lots more carbon than the regular boats and as a result were lighter and more expensive. I think they said around 700 kgs lighter on the C47. They are sought out today with a higher price tag.
Perhaps these boats used the 471 hulls but with a new top. Around 2017 Catana introduced a new C47 boat with new hulls, They might have dropped the carbon option then because they just incorporated all the carbon goodies into the regular manufacturing.
Old 22-02-2021, 06:42   #12

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Check the mast base very carefully, it is an expensive fix. The dagger-boards can break, again an expensive replacement. Performance wise a good choice compared to other production cats although somewhat heavier than advertised.

https://balancecatamarans.com/projec...adsheet-guy-2/
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 13:39   #13

Boat: between boats

The most important thing hasnt been mentioned yet - they are FUN to sail.

You aren't driving a bus you are connected to a sailing machine. Yes you spend 80% of time at anchor but the most vivid memories of my catana now sold are the sailing, not sitting at anchor.

On longevity they are a double edged sword. Better built with superior materials but also higher working loads in many cases. Nothing a good survey can't handle though. A lightly used one is a bargain if you can find it.

There was a mid period there where they went too heavy under the ocean class before upping the carbon content and getting lighter again. I would go pre 2005 or post 2012 vintages for that reason.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 03:08   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I have sailed and still sailing the C47 , mostly singlehanded. I don't know why it is complicated to service the boat. First of all she breaks much rarely than other cats and the repair is the same as other cats. I am also giving in charter and we had no complaint form any client. One of them has managed to break the daggerboard and yes it's expensive (14.000 € delivered in Turkey) It's a real fun to sail at 5 kts true making 5,5 or 6 kts..
Late models have e hard top and some other parts in carbon and they claim that they are 700 kg lighter than the standard one in overall.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 15:52   #15

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Quote:
The subject has been discussed many times and opinions vary widely.
The new C47 which replaced the 471 is actually only 46 feet. There is nothing revolutionary between them, the C47 hulls are a bit wider,luckily no more hydraulic steering, neither electronic cartes for pumps and other items that was a pain on old models. Many other small improvements learned over the years from former Catana sailors. The layout is more modern, engins more accessible and so forth. Both models are great for cruising.
The S nomination was used on the older generation, like C42S and C44S. Not sure what it stands for. The Carbon nomination came on the newer C47 even though all Catanas use carbon in some hull areas. I believe it’s more a commercial thing.
The C47/471 and many other Catana models are very popular among cruisers since the balance is good between payload and speed. Dagger boards help improve upp wind performance, and often forgotten, down wind performance when they are fully raised. They are not Ferraris but more like Mercedes. Very stiff, well built and can average many ocean miles in confort. Don’t forget that confort at sea is more important than confort at anchor. If your boat don’t sail well, or you have to wait days for a perfect weather window you’re voyage will be less pleasant. Performance is pleasure and safety at sea.
Thomas
Looking at a Catana 58, what’s the problem with hydraulic steering on the Catana?
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana