Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2020, 13:22   #16

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: 15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’m not sure why you think this event is so special that it will affect all performance cruising catamarans?

They hit something (possibly) in reasonable conditions and capsized. What’s there to learn?

Certainly the loss of life is significant, and provides a reason for wearing a PFD and/or harness and tether in easy conditions.
I'm not sure. It was just an intuitive thought.

The chance of hitting something seems much bigger than I thought it was, be it man-made or something living. I have no idea of how likely it really is, but there have been a few of these now within a short time.

That this very TS5 suffered the fate, it in some way adds to the previous feeling. It's not just "some boat" of the thousands out there, but chance had it be this very one.

A lot of talk about performance catamarans and wind+wave induced capsizing. What do we know about performance catamarans and UFO-related capsizing? The instinctive thought would be that more speed, less weight might correlate with worse outcomes?

But yes, just thinking out loud as someone who hasn't really thought about this before
Old 18-11-2020, 14:42   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Im sure the higher the speed the more of a chance of pitchpoling you have if you hit a submerged object. Also the higher the speed the less time you spend on passage so less of a chance of finding the submerged object?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 14:52   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Im sure the higher the speed the more of a chance of pitchpoling you have if you hit a submerged object. Also the higher the speed the less time you spend on passage so less of a chance of finding the submerged object?

Kind of like the question about walking or running in the rain:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-18901072

Matt
Old 18-11-2020, 14:59   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
15M Catamaran Capsize off Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Kind of like the question about walking or running in the rain:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-18901072

Matt

Crap, now you got me thinking [emoji848]. The ultimate bluewater boat, hull speed .5kts. [emoji23]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 16:40   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post

The chance of hitting something seems much bigger than I thought it was, be it man-made or something living. I have no idea of how likely it really is, but there have been a few of these now within a short time.

That this very TS5 suffered the fate, it in some way adds to the previous feeling. It's not just "some boat" of the thousands out there, but chance had it be this very one.

A lot of talk about performance catamarans and wind+wave induced capsizing. What do we know about performance catamarans and UFO-related capsizing? The instinctive thought would be that more speed, less weight might correlate with worse outcomes?

But yes, just thinking out loud as someone who hasn't really thought about this before
Certainly on smaller performance/racing cats, stuffing a bow (or having it impact something) can easily cause a capsize (pitch pole). For larger performance cats, I assume its just a matter of scale.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 17:42   #21

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Looking at that photo its interesting how similar the hull shape is to old beachcats like the Tornado, P cat etc, nothing special, just a nice clean shape without too much rocker, daggerboards, light weight and plenty of sail area. The formula for a fast cat has not changed much in the last 60 years. Sorry, no speculation on the cause of the capsize, hopefully all will be revealed in the future. Tragic news about the loss of life.

Steve,
Cascade, #233.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 18:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Certainly on smaller performance/racing cats, stuffing a bow (or having it impact something) can easily cause a capsize (pitch pole). For larger performance cats, I assume its just a matter of scale.
I think the CW Atlantic capsize and now this has silenced a lot of the 'Cats longer than 50 feet don't capsize crowd.

Riley on Lavagabond just did a video saying as much and had to edit it after he learnt about the Atlantic capsize.

I think we just need to accept it can happen and move on?
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 18:17   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I think the CW Atlantic capsize and now this has silenced a lot of the 'Cats longer than 50 feet don't capsize crowd.

Riley on Lavagabond just did a video saying as much and had to edit it after he learnt about the Atlantic capsize.

The CW capsizes I know of were due to high wind speeds (and one certainly with lack of owner experience contributing heavily), not due to collision.

I expect that pitch polling due to collision is quite possible in a high performance larger cat (Ive sailed a wide variety of larger cats, just not many I consider performance boats).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 18:27   #24

Yeh. The CW was on AP. Maybe if the ap can be programed to head down when on a reach and into the wind when beating. But even then probably not fast enough? At least something.
Old 18-11-2020, 18:41   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post

There are an average of 1500 containers lost at sea off of ships annually not to mention trees and logs .
Old 18-11-2020, 18:43   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Crap, now you got me thinking [emoji848]. The ultimate bluewater boat, hull speed .5kts. [emoji23]
My stem is about 5 inches thick st the sheer so I doubt i would suffer damage from a shipping container especially st 6 to 7 knots
Old 18-11-2020, 18:52   #27

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
My stem is about 5 inches thick st the sheer so I doubt i would suffer damage from a shipping container especially st 6 to 7 knots
5" thick, your joking, right.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 18:54   #28

Stems can be very thick. But its usually not the part that hits especially under sail. But yeh thats some thick stem you got.
Old 18-11-2020, 18:57   #29

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post

We have IIRC only three well-publicised instances in over 5 years involving performance cruising catamarans - two CW Atlantics and one TS5. I’m excluding the high performance cruiser/racer catamarans and racing events. That’s not showing a significant risk. We also have instances of charter-type cats floundering and capsizing.

I don’t believe this event is anything to hang onto performance cruising cats particularly. I’m still relaxed about it and have no more trouble sleeping off watch in whatever weather as any other skipper.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 18:58   #30

Yeh. Agreed. But for the mono guys lets just let them have it. Hahaha.

Tags
capsize, catamaran, Portugal, size