Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 10:38   #16

Re: We pulled the trigger! Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Good read. Thank you.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You're very welcome. Have a safe journey, sounds like you have a good plan.

IIRC, Newport is halfway from SF to Juan de Fuca. With your tankage Crescent City, while far south, would work, but I'm sure you'll find other backup sources. Some places are easier to get into than others (putting aside sea state and the bars, of course).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:09   #17

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

Welcome to the conversation with the elements.

Congratulations on that beautiful boat.

Brendan
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:36   #18

Boat: CS 36 T
Thumbs up Re: We pulled the trigger! Yes!!!

Congratulations. This is a big step and took a lot of planning. I agree with most others get out and sail as much as you can and don’t spend too much time on re-fitting at first. I sailed all over the great lakes for two summers no engine no electricity except the battery for running lights, sterno can for heat cooking, no radio etc. — best adventure of my life. Navigating with compass and charts. That’s all we had back then on the cheap and 1970,71. You don’t need as much as you think. Keep it simple.
William Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:55   #19

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Congratulations! Great looking choice. It’s awesome to see your plans coming together, isn’t it? Keep us posted on the survey and sea trial.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:56   #20

Boat: Tayana 47

Congrats on the boat, that main saloon looks SO comfy and light, very nice!

In your original post you mentioned repainting the decks and navy blue was mentioned as a color for part of it. But possibly you were talking about the hull when you mentioned navy blue? Anyway, I once did an exercise where I took one of those little hand held IR temperature detector guns on a hot sunny day and walked around the boat pointing it at various things of various colors. The difference in temperature between white and dark colors was way more than I would have guessed. So, now I try to stay away from dark colored horizontal surfaces whenever possible, especially if it's located somewhere that I might step on it with bare feet.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 12:01   #21

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Congrats on the boat, that main saloon looks SO comfy and light, very nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
In your original post you mentioned repainting the decks and navy blue was mentioned as a color for part of it.
Nooo, .....sand. The navy blue is the canvas, and two hull stripes. I've walked on dark decks in bare feet, so I know the feeling. It would also bring unwanted heat into the boat.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 16:47   #22

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Great looking boat. Love it. Will she self steer? I without autopilot

My first ocean going vessel was quite similar, even down to color scheme. (Herreschoff Bounty). Of the many small changes I made over the 15 years, the best for me was lazyjacks on the main and mizzen (=> easier to single-hand), and roller reefing on an inner staysail ... "inner" so as to not completely eliminate self tacking for the Genoa. And simplifying.

It took me ages to learn the tricks (and patience) of balancing the sails for self steering, but once I did passages got even better (and then I realized I had overspent on autopilot)
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 17:19   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congrats Capt! Don't slog it out too far! Come on through the Channel Islands! Let me know when yer in the neighborhood, I'll bring out the beer! well, Champagne in your case!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 20:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Congrats Capt! Don't slog it out too far! Come on through the Channel Islands! Let me know when yer in the neighborhood, I'll bring out the beer! well, Champagne in your case!
We will be shooting through the mainland and the islands. It will likely be around the 5 or 6th. Lots to do before then, but I'll PW you my email addy.
Old 20-04-2019, 20:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
Great looking boat. Love it. Will she self steer? I without autopilot

My first ocean going vessel was quite similar, even down to color scheme. (Herreschoff Bounty). Of the many small changes I made over the 15 years, the best for me was lazyjacks on the main and mizzen (=> easier to single-hand), and roller reefing on an inner staysail ... "inner" so as to not completely eliminate self tacking for the Genoa. And simplifying.

It took me ages to learn the tricks (and patience) of balancing the sails for self steering, but once I did passages got even better (and then I realized I had overspent on autopilot)
Thanks, Scotty.

I'm very sure I can get it to self steer. It has an auto pilot, but it is more for coastal cruising ....or should I say motoring on a nice day, with the wind, .....downhill, ...........

I have found that cutters are the easiest to get to self-steer. That's one reason I want to add a furled staysail. When I meet the rigging surveyor on April 30, I'm going to ask him if the current standing rigging will handle it.
Old 20-04-2019, 21:06   #26

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

Congrats! Nothing like a dream realized. 🙏🏼
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 21:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
We will be shooting through the mainland and the islands. It will likely be around the 5 or 6th. Lots to do before then, but I'll PW you my email addy.
5th or 6th of what? May is still a little early to head north, no? It's ok for the islands though. We might get some breezy days.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-04-2019, 21:31   #28

Quote:
5th or 6th of what? May is still a little early to head north, no? It's ok for the islands though. We might get some breezy days.
No so. Jimmy Cornell, World Cruising Routes, page 200. PN14 - California to BC, best times is May to June. Best course is 30 miles off with regular short tacks, ....though we will likely forgo that and just motor our way up with the mizzen running the centerline. This should keep us stable, and in VHF contact to monitor the weather. That way we have the ability to turn abeam the wind and duck into shelter if we need to escape a big blow.

But even if we hit a bad stretch, I'm sure the boat will handle far more than we can.
Old 20-04-2019, 21:52   #29

Well, full disclosure I've never read his book and I'd hate to argue with Jimmy Cornell but imo that's a little early only because I have seen some pretty windy lows come down in May too. Last year we had some in June, even into July, which surprised me a little. I think Stu's tip about motoring as much as you can when it's calm and hopping up the coast is a good one too. Being so far out, it makes it harder to duck into a harbor if needed.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-04-2019, 22:06   #30

Quote:
Well, full disclosure I've never read his book and I'd hate to argue with Jimmy Cornell but imo that's a little early only because I have seen some pretty windy lows come down in May too. Last year we had some in June, even into July, which surprised me a little. I think Stu's tip about motoring as much as you can when it's calm and hopping up the coast is a good one too. Being so far out, it makes it harder to duck into a harbor if needed.
Having lived in Victoria and now in Port Angeles and Sequim for the past 16 years, it seems we get blows every month. I also fish the entire Juan de Fuca Strait, both sides, from Neah Bay east, and there is always days when crossing is unadvisable, even in our Trophy 24' offshore boat. Not sure there is a really good time, but I'm sure we will be okay. I'll be modifying our course as we go.