Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2019, 02:12   #31

Re: We pulled the trigger! Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I once did an exercise where I took one of those little hand held IR temperature detector guns on a hot sunny day and walked around the boat pointing it at various things of various colors. The difference in temperature between white and dark colors was way more than I would have guessed.
Yeah we've done the same here on our buildings. The daytime (shade) temperature is typically about 120F during the summer, but the IR guns measure over 160F on the grey metal skins of a typical building (in the sun). And those are vertical surfaces! BTW, my daughter has cooked eggs on the sidewalk. Crazy
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 04:34   #32

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Congratulations On the Irwin ( built in Largo Fla ) Shes a good size girl. She should serve you well
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 05:39   #33

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Thanks, Scotty.

I'm very sure I can get it to self steer. It has an auto pilot, but it is more for coastal cruising ....or should I say motoring on a nice day, with the wind, .....downhill, ...........

I have found that cutters are the easiest to get to self-steer. That's one reason I want to add a furled staysail. When I meet the rigging surveyor on April 30, I'm going to ask him if the current standing rigging will handle it.
Yeah I was a cutter rig (ketch), now you mention it. I hadn't thought that the staysail added much to the self steering, but now, thinking back, I almost definitely should have fiddled with that more. I used to just tweak various sheets with little scientific thought until she was balanced, and on a ever so slight "S" course for 15 - 20 minutes. Then she'd stay on course all day and night with steady breeze. It felt like magic, and I guess it was.

But now I am more studied, and what you say makes 100% sense.

The furling staysail was relatively expensive, but it replaced a boomed staysail, and so saved a lot of room on the foredeck. With the boom replaced with the roller I used it a lot more (including just to look pretty, if the truth be told). Ha.

Always meant to, but never got around to, rigging some lines to control the Staysail Traveler back to the cockpit. Very rarely did I move the sheeting point off center. Maybe in hindsight doing so might have been helpful for better self steering ... ?

Also the roller staysail saved wear on the Genoa coz so much easier to reef Genoa completely (or have just a few (reinforced) turns out), and let go the staysail more easily and therefore earlier as the air gets heavy.

Yep - I'd say it's worth the cost, and (for you) the slight increased difficulty in tacking).
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 06:34   #34

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Welcome to the little family of Irwin 46’ ketch rigs. We are few but always ready with thoughts on your list.
My first question come from the photos you shared. Where is the “stripper pole” compression post? Did they hide it? With the head flipped vs my layout it seems to be missing on both photos...
Old 21-04-2019, 15:45   #35

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
Welcome to the little family of Irwin 46’ ketch rigs. We are few but always ready with thoughts on your list.
My first question come from the photos you shared. Where is the “stripper pole” compression post? Did they hide it? With the head flipped vs my layout it seems to be missing on both photos...
Hey, Doc! Good to see you on here. I've been posting lots of threads learning how to do some of the things I need to do on her. (I just left you a message on FB.)

You are correct! I didn't even notice that, though I'm not sure I would have. It should be right about where the little desk is in the MSR. Hmmmm.... I know it has a deck steeped mizzen, .....maybe that is what they refer to about a large metal base plate. I will have to look - then ask the surveyor. Might you have a photo of yours?

UPDATE: I just read the spec sheet, and it says the mizzen is 'independently supported', whatever that means. Think I'll shoot Gene an email.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 05:54   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Congrats Crunchie, I’m glad that Irwin has found a good new owner.
Thank you, Tayana.

I just noticed that you and the boat are in Long Beach, CA. I'm just about to head south with a loaded rental to complete the surveys and sea trial, ....which I'm sure will go well, then take possession.

Then I will have 3 days to prep her for the voyage home. Wifey is flying down on Thursday to join me.

Please feel free to message me and we can link up for lunch or dinner.
Old 28-04-2019, 08:06   #37

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Will do.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 08:38   #38

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Dear Catcruncie... let me add my congrats on your purchase. I spent many years delivering vessels from Alaska as far south as Panama so knew the west coast very well.
If I could make one suggestion on your refit it would be to ad some strategic handholds for when off shore. They are very handy to have in a seaway particularly in a roomy salon type vessel.
Fair winds and following seas
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 19:01   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Congrats on your purchase.
Like all used boats there's always a perennial list of things to do.
Don't let it get in the way of your cruising, fix the leaks, get it safe and functional and get out there.
I completed the refit of our boat last October after 8 months of 14 hour days. Teak decks removed, gelcoat sanded and fared then painted and nonskid. All deck fittings removed, Chainplates pulled inspected and reinstalled. I pulled the engine and rebuilt it.
Rewired, all new instruments, plumbing issues fixed.
What didn't get done?
I rebuilt the pumps for the RO system but didn't have time to get the system up and running.
The varnish didn't get done.
The hull could use a buff and waxing.
But hey, we left RI after Thanksgiving and are now in the Bahamas heading south for hurricane season.
Water has been easy enough to get, but I'd expensive in the Bahamas, but do isn't everything here. So I got the system up and running.
All the new instrumentation has been debugged and customised to our liking after 2000 miles of travel. You find that you'll set it up to your liking and personal needs through trial and error. Can't say enough about the B&G system.
No matter how much you prep there's always something you never thought of, but as long as the big stuff is done you can do the rest along the way. After all, cruising is boat maintenance in paradise. And I really don't mind it here where it's warm after sailing down in 15 degree weather.
Good luck with your upgrades and hope you get it done soon do you can get out there.
Oh, and one good thing from all that work, I lost 30 pounds and got back in shape doing it. So it's good for your physical shape as well as your mental well being.
Cheers
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 14:17   #40

Boat: Irwin 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
Hey Irwin 46 guys, We pulled the trigger also!!! buying an Irwin 46 just before lock down. Currently upgrading some interior stuff for my wife and looking to move aboard in September. She currently is lying in the Chesapeake and plan to go south with the Wally Rally to Florida. BTW, my boat does have the stripper pole. My version is aft head to starboard. Would love to compare notes.
Sailtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 15:50   #41

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Sailtrader, by any chance is the boat you purchased "Islander" berthed on the Corrotoman? I have crewed many weeks on that boat. Very capable vessel!
Old 14-05-2020, 16:13   #42

Boat: Irwin 46

The boat is lying at Yankee Point Marina, near Lancaster, VA. Tom the previous owner was an active sailor. Not sure where Corrotoman is. The boat is in good shape, just need to upgrade some of the worn out stuff like re-bedding ports.
Sailtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 16:35   #43

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Sailtrader, yes that is the boat I was thinking of! You have a very solid cruiser. Congratulations.

PM me if you need any local knowledge.
Old 15-05-2020, 07:31   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailtrader View Post
Hey Irwin 46 guys, We pulled the trigger also!!! buying an Irwin 46 just before lock down. Currently upgrading some interior stuff for my wife and looking to move aboard in September. She currently is lying in the Chesapeake and plan to go south with the Wally Rally to Florida. BTW, my boat does have the stripper pole. My version is aft head to starboard. Would love to compare notes.
Man, am I confused. Too much boat work.

Welcome to the Irwin family! I sent you PM. Would enjoy a chat.