Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 14:12   #1

Boat: New Horizons 25'
Help Identifying Hardware

I brought home the 1959 New Horizons I had put a deposit on earlier in the week.
Everything with the transport went flawlessly, better than I expected and much better than I had feared. (I'm always apprehensive using a new-to-me piece of equipment, especially an older trailer on a 250 mile run.)
So everything looks rosy at the moment, with a lot of paperwork ahead of me to re-title the boat, register the trailer, get launch stickers, etc, in my home state, but that's ok because with the current restrictions in place I may not even get a chance to launch the New Horizons this year.
While I am waiting I thought I'd get together a binder of info on the boat and its systems. I have one for my WWP19 and it's invaluable for planning upgrades and maintenance or repair, especially in the winter when the boat is in storage.

So I took a few pics and I hope someone can help me identify the various hardware and systems that are on the boat. I expect most of it is original equipment, and especially considering the few New Horizons that seem to be out there, I haven't found any original equipment list to compare against.

Is this (first pic) called a mast boot? Is there a way to replace it, and does it need replaced? It sure looks like it will leak, but maybe it just needs sealed? (It's a keel-stepped mast.)

In pic 2 and 3, Does anyone know what model/manufacturer this winch is? Or is there someplace specific I need to look for markings? There's another, different style halyard winch on the mast but I forgot to take a pic of it today.

Pic 4: This looks like a brass hardware store ball valve to me, and not a true bronze sea cock. I looked at the manufacturer's table and they are listed as “Drinking Water System Components", and some are bronze, but these look like brass to me. (This is/was a freshwater boat, but I still feel like they need replaced with bronze or poly sea cocks.)

Pic 5: The GPS chart plotter. Looks old, definitely discontinued by Garmin, and likely something I'll replace in the future, but hopefully adequate (if I have or can get inland lakes charts for it) for the time being. For reference, My WWP has a Humminbird Dragonfly-4 specifically because it came preloaded with inland lake charts.

Pic 5: Depth and speed readouts. How do these work? I know there is a small wheel in the hull for speed, and I worry it will get debris from the lake in it. (lots of small tree limbs and bark up to large 20'+ logs at the moment.) I believe there's a cap or cover that can be fastened on the sensor, that might be a good idea to keep the wheel from getting obstructed, especially considering water speed isn't super important where I sail now.
I assume there's a transducer for the depth, somewhere. I didn't see anything outside the hull, so is it likely it is glued in the hull somewhere? (That's what I did in my WWP, I glued the transducer to the inner hull just forward of the mast post under the v-berth.

Any thoughts or advice on identifying these components or things I should look out for will be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast boot.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	215128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	215129  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch Handle 1.jpg