Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 14:22   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: The great multi vs mono debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I think it’s an interesting dilemma, the issue with an 80’ monohull is I don’t think a couple (the average man & wife)could cruise it comfortably and safely. Docking in with a 30 mph crosswind in a tight marina with 2 people is exciting enough on a 46 footer! (Like we did in Sweden last summer lol) I suppose like any boat you get used to it. For us in our decision making process the deep draft of a big mono would be the downside, but the swing keels allowing you to get into 3’ of water would be really nice.
I see no limit to size given it's set up appropriately.

All sail controls powered.
Bow and stern thrusters.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 15:25   #32
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

If you want a performance multi then yes you may have to watch the weight.
If you have one of the cats designed for cruising like Lagoon or Leopard then no the weight won’t make much of a difference.
Look at the Majestic 53, basically two monohulls joined together. Now that should handle a huge payload.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 18:27   #33

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

one thing i've noticed with the frequent mono v cat threads is that it is usually the mono owners who are intent on showing how much better the mono is v the cat

cat owners on the other hand know the answer so don't feel there is so much to prove...

hehehehe...

but seriously :

not counting dinghys (lasers etc) & trailer-sailers, we've owned 6 keel boats from 25' to 60', and 2 cats (32' & 40'). every boat had it's advantages and disadvantages...there is no perfect boat. monos are better sometimes for some purposes, as are cats. it all depends what you are looking for.

sounds to me that for his specific needs, the OP choose a really good boat...but that does not mean that in another set of circumstances some other boat (including a cat) wouldn't be a better solution.

as the saying goes 'vive la difference' !

cheers,
Old 20-05-2020, 18:42   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^

Aww, shucks, Chris... there you go, spoiling a good argument with logic and experience. That's not fair!

And is the baker on the corner still open and making his wonderful assortment of artisan breads? Sure miss his walnut, ginger and fig bread!

Jim
Old 20-05-2020, 18:53   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The great multi vs mono debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
The weight of two people's personal gear, and their bodies, is negligible compared to the weight of your supplies, safety and maintenance gear.

Since you asked the question, I suppose you may not have the experience of having to repair your boat or feed yourself in very remote places.

By the time you have spent a few years of cruising away from the main ports and with a budget that does not allow professional maintenance of everything on your boat, you will have become by necessity a DIY person. Now that requires having lots of tools and miscellaneous gear on board.

Everyone's list of equipment on board will be different, but it is always substantial since once you leave the US or Europe you will simply not find these items anywhere convenient, if at all.
Regarding supplies I suppose it depends how much you like to eat as opposed to how much you need to eat.. for a man 2200 calories are adequate to function at peak efficiency.. however some like to do this at one sitting.
Tools.. a sail makers kit, electrical tools and connecters along with some wire, a decent socket set, ring spanners, carpenters tools, screwdrivers and some grips and G clamps.
I would rather have full Lagoon 38 water tanks than a watermaker, I prefer known values to hoped for ones.
Going 47 days solo on 220 litres of water means (I hope) an ability to manage supplies..
Oh.. and I still had 25 litres left when I landed in the UK.. food was a bit tight though as I had only supplied for as far as the Azores but it was so much fun I did not stop.
Been hoping in vain for a similar experience for near 20yrs now..
That was on a Bene 321.. Nice little boat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 20:21   #36

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The mono vs multi debate was solved a long time ago. Mono's are superior in every regard.😋
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 21:07   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The mono vs multi debate was solved a long time ago. Mono's are superior in every regard.😋

Only for Count Dracula
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 21:52   #38

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

So, the Pacific Islander's have been getting along just fine for eon's, without the help of Western crap, just leave them alone, and satisfy your ego doing something else, else where.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 23:10   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
So, the Pacific Islander's have been getting along just fine for eon's, without the help of Western crap, just leave them alone, and satisfy your ego doing something else, else where.
To what do you refer here? Sounds kinda angry...

Jim
Old 20-05-2020, 23:48   #40

I haven't posted here for quite awhile, but lurking every now and then. It's refreshing that real truths are being reported by some multi owners, and that has only been in the last couple of years. If you go back in the archives 15 or so years you will see multi hull owners going ape quoting all and every advertised hype of the multi being the ultimate in boating. We are seeing more and more multi owners, especially long term sailors who started in monos going back to monos. Once you start crossing oceans the old adage of " In a catamaran, you can put your wine glass or mug on the cockpit table and it won't fall over not like a tippy mono" is such an inappropriate statement. I think a lot of the earlier praise and agreements between multi owners was because they did not want to admit their perfect multi, was not so perfect after all. No boat is. Would I own a Multihull......Yes, once I stop ocean cruising and go coastal.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 00:20   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
To what do you refer here? Sounds kinda angry...

Jim

Presumably, he's referring to the OP's:

"My wife and I are part of a nonprofit that will be working around more remote stretches of the South Pacific. Taking 4 person teams and also helping with projects"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 00:29   #42

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

It depends so much on where you want to sail and how. If I were going to cruise the Caribbean with a bunch of people then I'm sure a cat would be fabulous.

But it concerns me how you handle what I'd consider ordinary weather on a cat. I was sailing along merrily this afternoon in a forecast 5kt of wind (ok mostly bobbing on a pretty confused swell), when suddenly 30kts hit me on the beam out of nowhere, clear blue sky, then came forward. Ten minutes of surfing down waves at 9kts (close hauled, which was kind of a weird way to surf in my experience), and the wind died to 3kts from astern.

This kind of thing is just normal. I've often found that 10kt forecasts include sudden blasts of 40kts from any direction you might name without warning. What do you do on a cat with full sails up when that happens, particularly if you're down below?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 00:35   #43

Boat: Westerly Sealord

When I grow old and have tired of sailing I intend to buy a cat... just so long as it comes with the hot chicks in bikinis... they do all come with hot chicks in bikinis don't they??
Old 21-05-2020, 00:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Presumably, he's referring to the OP's:

"My wife and I are part of a nonprofit that will be working around more remote stretches of the South Pacific. Taking 4 person teams and also helping with projects"
Ah, I see...,

Well, I guess that if you consider living in some misery at times, doing without decent water supplies, being wiped out by cyclones, low life expectancy, poor diet, and lots of other factors "doing just fine", then of course you are correct.

I've spent some time in the islands over the years, and the life of islanders is sometimes not all that flash. Some of the things western visitors (if that is what you want to call them) have done for them have improved their lot, others not so much. But to dismiss their efforts as ego gratification is kinda harsh.

Offering some medical and dental help to folks who have none has been pretty rewarding, both for the recipients and the providers. Ever had a dental abscess... untreated because there were no dentists around? That's part of "getting along without western help", right? And infected wounds with no antibiotics to help the cure? We've seen the after effects of that a few times. How about simply not being able to see well, lacking glasses or simple medical aid to correct Pterygia or other minor eye defects? Those islanders enjoy reading too, ya know, and volunteer eye clinics have been around a while now, and with great results in many venues.

I dunno what the OP had in mind for his efforts, but to dismiss them as personal ego gratification isn't quite cricket IMO. Not all volunteer efforts bear fruit, but enough do that culling them isn't a good idea IMO. And if someone should take pleasure in being of help, well, seems OK to me.

The idea of the "noble savage" is pretty outdated now, and helping hands are welcome in many isolated places, so let these folks carry on without the condemnation, please.

Jim
Old 21-05-2020, 03:03   #45

Powercats - a very close friend with whom I've done 1000s of miles on both power and sail purchased a high end 52 foot power cat. He loves the living space but is very disappointed in the ride. His wife suffers from sea sickness. Compared to mono, no change while underway, though at anchor is definitely an improvement.

While he's in no hurry, he will return to a stabilized monohull trawler for his next boat. He also appreciates the engine room on a mono.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote