Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 14:24   #61
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: The great multi vs mono debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_n_Ryan View Post
Depends what you mean by "descent price".

If we're talking about brand new 45ft-55ft there's range between $380k to $2mln. There are some cheaper but they look like "better buy a monohull".

One of the cheapest probably would be BALI with their 4.3 if I'm not mistaken (~$380k in base). On the "luxury" side could be Privilege with their 510 and 580 and other brands.

I wasn’t talking New I was talking way old, 30-40 years. Could find an old Prout Snowgoose for $30k on up.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 21:36   #62

Boat: no boat any more

as probably for most of us there is a budget, so PRICE is the starting point. so please smj show me, that for "...$30k on up." that old Snowgoose will be better that a " way old, 30-40 years" mono (again everything else being much the same.
(AGAIN: we circumnavigated in a cat & I am convinced, that a cat can be very near the "ideal bluewater-cruising boat" - but not for the same money! & comparing " way old, 30-40 years" cats to much younger monos that cost the same, or comparing 38' cats to 38' monos where age or equipment or state of upkeep, etc. differs significantly - if thats not insulting the intelligence...?)
Old 23-05-2020, 21:56   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I'd hate to hijack this thread, but can we seriously discuss the merits of quadrimarans vs. trimarans?
I don't believe anyone has ventured into this debate before.
We could be pioneers.

Would that be the square (quad...) ones or the rectangular ones or the triangular ones?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 02:20   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Geeeez, now heres a subject that’s never been discussed. What a great idea for a thread!
+2

Someday I'm going to go through the archive and COUNT how many times someone has started a thread on this subject.

Absolutely no interest getting into it again.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 03:09   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
+2

Someday I'm going to go through the archive and COUNT how many times someone has started a thread on this subject.

Absolutely no interest getting into it again.

LittleWing77

It'll take you a while:

Google: site:cruisersforum.com multihull or monohull
About 38,500 results
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 05:47   #66
ELC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
6 people long term on a 46ft mono loaded with a couple tons of tools...sounds cramped and unfun.

Of course, for cargo carrying monos have an edge. That's why you don't see a lot of catamaran oil tankers. As cruising boats, that's not typically much of an issue.

Without going into it point by point, lots of incorrect statements in the original post. For example, stability actually increases as you load up a catamaran.
Not according to the naval architects that design them or the insurance companies I surveyed them for. Sitting flat or sailing in light airs you might have a point but absolutely not the case as sea conditions pick up.

Also long term for us it's two with occasional guests. Also never said two tons of tools. Been at this game a long time.
ELC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:01   #67
ELC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
So, the Pacific Islander's have been getting along just fine for eon's, without the help of Western crap, just leave them alone, and satisfy your ego doing something else, else where.
Interesting......they are the ones asking us to come help? In our target area child mortality is as high as 55% by age 10 but I guess you are ok with that. Simple childhood shots drops that number phenomenally. Over 75% of people over 60 are diabetic without care. Lots of amputations. Mobility disabled people get to lie on a mat in a hot. One team managed to get some mobility aids in and transformed lives. Yeah pure evil that. Or perhaps the months to over a year it can take for any post hurricane relief to arrive is good by you?
ELC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:11   #68
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
as probably for most of us there is a budget, so PRICE is the starting point. so please smj show me, that for "...$30k on up." that old Snowgoose will be better that a " way old, 30-40 years" mono (again everything else being much the same.
(AGAIN: we circumnavigated in a cat & I am convinced, that a cat can be very near the "ideal bluewater-cruising boat" - but not for the same money! & comparing " way old, 30-40 years" cats to much younger monos that cost the same, or comparing 38' cats to 38' monos where age or equipment or state of upkeep, etc. differs significantly - if thats not insulting the intelligence...?)

I don’t think I ever brought up comparing the Snowgoose to a similar priced mono, I just didn’t agree with your statement that you can’t find a cat that could carry enough weight, be sailed by two and be within budget.
I would personally take the Prout cat over any monohull as I don’t care for the monohull motion, and the Prout would by far not be my first choice. And there are others that would take any monohull over the Prout because they like what a monohull gives them.
That’s why these threads are so stupid. There are so many different types of cats and monos, some great seaworthy boats and others pieces of crap.
Buy what you want and enjoy it.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:47   #69

This is funny, the OP stats he would prefer a mono, he cannot afford therefore rationalizing why a mono is better. It’s like saying an ugly wife is better than a beautiful one. If you love her and she brings you joy then she absolutely is better than the beautiful woman who you’ll never have a chance with. Get the mono you can afford and go have fun!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:31   #70
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Personally, I'd look at long term decisions. How many monohull sailors turn to buying a catamaran vs catamaran sailors ending up with a monohull. Now, for sure there are a few monohulls I could end up with, but they are massive and would definitely take a professional crew to operate.
Old 24-05-2020, 18:53   #71

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
The big advantage with cats is they go faster so you don't need to stock 3 months worth of provisions. With a decent solar array and a good water maker you also don't need to haul 1,500 lbs. of water around - which would make up for a lot of tools (I'm assuming you're not carrying a Unisaw ).
Some do, some don't - same as monos.
Would you really risk not taking enough water with you? Desalinators can fail - pump, filters plumbing, electronics …… We have one and love it, but I wouldn't trust my life to it.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 07:00   #72

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Ha ha ha!!
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 07:42   #73

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC View Post
Interesting......they are the ones asking us to come help? In our target area child mortality is as high as 55% by age 10 but I guess you are ok with that. Simple childhood shots drops that number phenomenally. Over 75% of people over 60 are diabetic without care. Lots of amputations. Mobility disabled people get to lie on a mat in a hot. One team managed to get some mobility aids in and transformed lives. Yeah pure evil that. Or perhaps the months to over a year it can take for any post hurricane relief to arrive is good by you?
Probably there is some cynicism showing on the part of some of the commenters here after seeing several non-profit groups with a religious agenda.

I also notice a few discrepancies in the thread. Is it 2 occasional guests or a team of 4 plus you and your wife? If it is medical help you are going to try to provide why all the tools? (and anyhow, is it a lot of tools or not a ton of tools?). Can you even rock up to an island and start treating people, wouldn't the government of those countries have something to say about that? And if you have already cast the mono vs multi die, why even open the question?

Finally, I thought your response, above, seemed quite angry. I'm suspecting that the frustrations of the endeavor you've set out for yourself might trigger a similar angry response.

Not thinking this is going to have a happy outcome.
Old 25-05-2020, 08:09   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

interestingly, the few people that I've known that sailed tri's, had the things so loaded down with cruising gear, windsurfers, spare diesel containers and whatnot, that any speed advantage they may have once had, disappeared over the horizon with the last case of beer loaded aboard.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:16   #75

Boat: Outremer 51

For the record, we have a 51 Outremer with only 2 onboard. It is easily handled. We just sailed, the two of us, USVI to Norfolk in 7 days (no wind in the last 2 days). In November we sailed Portugal to Ste Lucia but with 5 on board. This was to minimize fatigue of individials more than arm wrestling the boat. So a 50 to 55 foot cat is a good size for 2 from a handling standpoint.
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote