Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2023, 08:26   #1

Boat: Hunter 41DS
Ultrasonic Hull Shield

I know there have been discussions on the effectiveness of ultrasonic products for hull cleaning such as Hull Shield, but I have not seen any responses from people that ACTUALLY have it on their boats. Not interested in responses from biased people such as divers (whom we all know would like to see any effective device like this go away). Thank you for your unbiased responses.
Sailor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 19:27   #2

Re: Ultrasonic Hull Shield

Hi, I have installed 5 system so far and had only positive feedback. It seems to be working pretty well. Downside is it cost about the same as the system in install if you do not do it yourself. We see a scum line and light soft growth but no hard growth exept by example underwater light as they are bedded with 5200 which absorb the ultrasound.
So far only good words for it as of now.
KingTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 04:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Here is a link to a discussion just last year on this topic, a discussion with 11 pages of comments to savor.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...em-273703.html

While personal experiences with the systems would be interesting, much better would be comparison testing results.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 04:56   #4

Totally agree on comparison testing results. I have a unit on a power cat, only on one side. Will see in a couple of months when it comes back.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTide View Post
Totally agree on comparison testing results. I have a unit on a power cat, only on one side. Will see in a couple of months when it comes back.
That will be very interesting. I talked to the folks at Hull Shield 2-years ago. I listened to their sales-blab with interest but decided that without something more than highly anecdotal story-evidence, I could not pull the trigger. I suggested to them that a 'twin study' on a few Cats with one hull with Hull Shield and the other bear would be persuasive. Seemed they'd heard this before and enthusiastically staid that Aquilla, builder of 45+ foot power cats, was now offereing Hull Shield as an option. Sadly, they ignored the requiest for a twin-study so I remained pessimistic.

While your single data point would be interesting (and I hope successful), I would seek more evidence for me to make the investment. Until then, Hull Shield and the like remain in the same bucket of products with lofty claims but wholly unsubstatiated. Algea-X magnetic fuel polishing is an anchor tennant in that category for me.

Best of luck and please provide an update.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 05:14   #6

Totally understand where you coming from and I am the same. I need proof that I can verify or I'm out. Will post updates good or bad when the boat is back.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:49   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTide View Post
Hi, I have installed 5 system so far and had only positive feedback. We see a scum line and light soft growth but no hard growth...
100% useless information without knowing where these systems are being used, how long they've been in use and what the state of fouling would be had the units not been installed.

I guess I don't have to wonder why the people selling these contraptions never produce any real evidence or data to back up their claims. It's ALWAYS anecdotal.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 06:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
100% useless information without knowing where these systems are being used, how long they've been in use and what the state of fouling would be had the units not been installed.

I guess I don't have to wonder why the people selling these contraptions never produce any real evidence or data to back up their claims. It's ALWAYS anecdotal.
I guess you didn't read the OPs Post #4 where he states its on one hull of his power cat. That's a decent step forward on the standard antecdotal information. Maybe you've been banging your head singing the same dour song for too long?????
Old 06-03-2024, 07:00   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I guess you didn't read the OPs Post #4 where he states its on one hull of his power cat. That's a decent step forward on the standard antecdotal information. Maybe you've been banging your head singing the same dour song for too long?????
Not where on the boat. Where on the planet
Old 06-03-2024, 07:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not where on the boat. Where on the planet
You said it was 100% useless information. Let's be honest here: there is NOTHING the OP or anyone could ever say or show that would change your mind. You have an axe to grind on this topic. I'm not saying the technology works, but I am saying that you are 1000% closed to the possibility. I don't know why you waste the keystrokes to say the same thing over and over agin.

Where the OP is located is meaningless to you. Your answer will always be 'hogwash.' You're a professional bottom diver. Perhaps that plays a role either for or against. "He doth protest too much" comes to mind whenever you get on your soapbox.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:15   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
You said it was 100% useless information. Let's be honest here: there is NOTHING the OP or anyone could every say or show that would change your mind. You have an axe to grind on this topic. I'm not saying the technology works, but I am saying that you are 1000% closed to the possibility. I don't know why you waste the keystrokes to say the same thing over and over agin.

Where the OP is located is meaningless to you. Your answer will always be 'hogwash.' You're a professional bottom diver. Perhaps that plays a role either for or against. "He doth protest too much" comes to mind whenever you get on your soapbox.
My personal, professional experience with these devices is that they do not perform as advertised. So I'm just asking for the people who sell them to provide some factual evidence to the contrary (and KingTide's post is anything but.) If for you that is me grinding an ax, so be it. Maybe you're one of those "I saw it on the internet so it must be true" kind of people
Old 06-03-2024, 14:11   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Just play a loop of Kamala Harris' cackling laugh.
That out to put the fear of God in 'em!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 14:36   #13

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Here is a test, which to me is not that scientific but they did note factors that may have affected the outcomes. Overall it seems inconclusive to me.
Really the test should be performed in identical conditions, and a proper statistical sampling methodology completed over a year or two. But where do you find the money to have a set of say 5 identical test hulls and dock space, electrical supply to run such experiments https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/ultrasoni...ted-hull-72549
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 14:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Here is a test, which to me is not that scientific but they did note factors that may have affected the outcomes. Overall it seems inconclusive to me.
Really the test should be performed in identical conditions, and a proper statistical sampling methodology completed over a year or two. But where do you find the money to have a set of say 5 identical test hulls and dock space, electrical supply to run such experiments https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/ultrasoni...ted-hull-72549
Hull Shield says they are now optional equipment on Aquila power cats (HERE). Doing a "Twin Study" where one hull is protected and the other not would be pretty simple. While Fastbttms' over-the-top knee-jerk hyperbole is annoying, I too am skeptical given the evidence is 100% anecdotal and could be elevated quite easily. Why they don't bother to provide better evidence of operability is beyond me and certainly suggests they are a waste of money. When folks use the product and it doesn't work, they always have an excuse about installation errors or such. But in my research, I have not come across anything that is more than "trust us - it's great!!"
Old 06-03-2024, 14:59   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Really the test should be performed in identical conditions, and a proper statistical sampling methodology completed over a year or two. But where do you find the money to have a set of say 5 identical test hulls and dock space, electrical supply to run such experiments
I would be satisfied with a much simple and less expensive comparison test. Two similar boats in similar locations in a moderate or high fouling saltwater marina (Northern Europe, the UK, PNW and US Northeast need not apply.) One boat has new high quality copper bottom paint and the other boat has the same but with the addition of an ultrasonic system running 24/7. Neither boat is moved. Bi-weekly or monthly video inspection. This would tell the tale of the tape within a few months, IMHO.

Tags
hull