Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 06:58   #46

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Spares: what do you carry?

Spares---In general, anything and everything that can be easily squirreled away in the nooks and crannies of the boat. Of course like everything you can go overboard on this. Engine spares, prop shaft packing, all pump spares, extra large electric portable pump, plumbing spares, spare prop, spare alternator, spare anchor system parts, spare nav parts-laptop, some spare line, skiff spares (patches, oars). When making a go no go on a spare, if it is small and not too heavy ... go for it; if it is large/bulky or extra heavy....think it through.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:09   #47

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

I saw in one of the posts that additional coolant is recommended. That is a good idea. That said, it is important to get the same coolant as what is currently in your engine. Mixing different coolant may lead to problems.

It is also a good idea to change your coolant after the first year and my recommendation is to use a good quality coolant when you do this.
do not skimp on this process!

Fair winds and enjoy your new yacht .
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:18   #48

Duct tape
wing15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 08:46   #49

Boat: Taswell 43

After cruising since 1998, I think a lot depends on where and how you intend to use the boat. If you're going to live mostly in a marina, with the occasional weekend trip out...I'd carry only the stuff that might ruin your day or prevent you from getting back home(replacements for all fluids, filters, an engine starter, alternator belt, water and waste pumps, maybe a few fuses/circuit breakers, a little wire and crimp connectors a few hose clamps, some duct tape/etc)...and the tools to troubleshoot/install them. As you venture further, out for longer periods, etc, think about where/when you could get "stuff", or what pieces you have that are hard to get (unique bulbs, etc) AND if you know how to repair/replace whatever breaks...and the tools required to repair it. AND...whatever you decide to carry-make an inventory(what you have, and where it's packed away) and keep it current; know what you do have onboard, and where to find it, and locate that inventory where you can find it...don't ask how I know!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 08:49   #50
cruiser

Missen a few parts there.
Nice long passage to keep fetch.
Hence missen a sloop and wolla a ketch.

Just dreaming.. remembering looking at a stalled mainsail whilst planing beat with a kite on laden cruise with an extremely shallow keelson hull.
Then remarking to skipper that main was stalled and being told to just do my job and not worry about his because shrouds were balanced. Leeward main was flowing like a hurricane (port tack).

Now looking at ketch on wiki sailboat site, thinking dark that'd be a monster on long haul. Missen a tiny leach to attract jet stream.

Duct tape+1. Puncture repair to halt leakage if cracked. Gaff tape another choice.

Spare mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing_Vessel_Odyssey.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	240528  
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 09:01   #51

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Diesels don't have spark plugs.

Glow plugs maybe?
Old 18-06-2021, 09:13   #52

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

This thread probably has over 500 years of total boating experience . All points are good to consider.
I tend to carry parts I don’t think I could find in the cruising zone I’d be in. If you’re a coastal cruiser for now, then you have ports you can rely on with parts usually available. I value my tender almost as much as the mother ship. Getting to shore and back is essential . Sometimes engine parts are hard to get and they take up little room and space. A reliable tender will save you time , $ for dockage or ferrying costs.
Currently shortages of all parts, motors , Impeller’s etc are common due to the shutdown from covid.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 09:20   #53

Boat: Hunter 45cc

I’m needing to buy another spare freshwater pressure pump. I was glad I had a spare when the pump stopped working. I also have spare Bilge and shower pumps. As a general rule, I think it’s best to have 2 of just about everything. LOL.
Floridajohnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 13:39   #54

Boat: Owned Irwin Citation 34

if you eventually plan to go off the 'beaten path, do consider eventually adding a spare set of injectors.
MSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:59   #55

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Can you get parts in a place where you sail into, ????????????

I sailed into Eden on the NSW coast with a lot of Severe damage from a Gale I went through,
I was there 6 weeks trying to get new parts,
Solar Panels, Batterys, VHF, Alternator for the Diesel, New solar controllers, Etc Etc Etc,
I could buy it all online, Fleabay, But they wont deliver to Post offices, Or Boats,
They need a physical address,

Or I could pay astronomical prices from local shops, If they had it, Most didnt and had no idea on what I wanted,
I ended up getting all my parts delivered to a local Auto parts store that I bought all my new batterys from,
Very nice of them, If it wasnt for them, I would still be in Eden waiting for parts,

Eden is a big fishing Port, But getting parts or some one to repair any thing is virtually impossible,
Other towns I have visited, Have Zero repair or parts to buy,

If you dont have it onboard, Your cactus and if its essential, Your stuck there till you can get it from some where else, That could be weeks down the line,

Offshore, You need all the spares in the cupboard ready to use,

Pumps and Filters, Impellors, I have 4 of each, Brand new,
Spare oils and green water for the motor, Drive leg, etc etc,
All the tools I would ever require to fix, repair or remanufacture any thing on board,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:04   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

We only carry minimum spares - filters, impellers, pumps parts (toilet, galley).

But we do carry quite some plywood, plate alloy, resin, plastics, etc. etc. and some tools too.

This can be done when your boat is small and has only basic systems. As the boat gets big and complex, you need more spares - for more systems.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 20:01   #57

Boat: None currently … previously a Beneteau Oceanis 350. Before that … a Cavalier 30

Most of the lists above are good … I'd just reinforce them.

Make sure your spares are of good quality … remember … if something failed, putting on a "just good enough" spare is false economy … it will likely fail again.

Make sure your grease is marine grade lithium based.

Plenty of impellers … if they fail on a new boat then there's something wrong and the replacement will likely fail too. A small jar of vaseline is helpful in fitting a tight new impeller. Inspect your impellers regularly - waiting until it fails and then having to fish the remains of the blades out of the narrow water passages to remove blockages is a mug's game.

New gaskets for anything you might have to undo/remove when doing inspections or repairs. Some gasket-gunk just in case there is a gasket you forgot about.

All hoses should be double clamped. This is something that many new production boats skimp on. And if you are doubtful about a clamp, replace with titanium clamps … they aren't that much more expensive than 'stainless' and boy, have I seen some rusty 'stainless' clamps. Heat and salt water love to eat your 'stainless' clamps. So your spare clamps should be titanium.

Fuses or circuit breakers. Don't fall for the 'if the breaker pops just reset it' line. If it popped, it popped for a reason. Locate and fix the reason before you reset it. A few spare circuit breakers are as necessary as plenty of spare old style fuses. A good quality multi-meter, preferably with a clamp current measure, preferably waterproof.

Spare fully tinned electrical wires of the correct guage/thickness for your numerous applications, from heavy duty battery cables down to LED cabin lights. Crimps/lugs and a good crimping tool. Heat shrink tubing of various diameters.

Run some spare mousing lines up your mast and through your boom. A broken halyard or outhaul with no easy way to feed a replacement through there is a pain best avoided.

A lot of people chipped in with assorted nuts and bolts … I'd add a plentiful supply of assorted washers. Washers can greatly improve the bite of nut or bolt.

If you have a fancy feathering or folding prop - a rebuild kit for the spindles.

Spare pawls and pawl springs for your winches. Spare bearings may be a bit much unless you are extended passage making.

Oh … and the most important spare of all … an ounce of common sense.

Happy sailing
TonyDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 18:23   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDove View Post
Most of the lists above are good … I'd just reinforce them.

All hoses should be double clamped. This is something that many new production boats skimp on. And if you are doubtful about a clamp, replace with titanium clamps … they aren't that much more expensive than 'stainless' and boy, have I seen some rusty 'stainless' clamps. Heat and salt water love to eat your 'stainless' clamps. So your spare clamps should be titanium.

Oh … and the most important spare of all … an ounce of common sense.

Happy sailing
Cheers for that. I've heard double clamps mentioned more than once.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 18:29   #59

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseN View Post
Cheers for that. I've heard double clamps mentioned more than once.

Yup. As long as the hose barb is long enough for 2 clamps to fit on it properly, there's no good reason not to double clamp. If the barb can't take 2 clamps, then use 1 really good clamp.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 07:41   #60

Boat: 35' sloop

Tools, for everything everybody mentioned and knowing how to use them.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote