Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 12:08   #1

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Spares, Spares, Spares

Posing a question for you:

OK, you bought an old boat and spent 2 years refitting her. Going off next year (fingers crossed). In the beginning when you had no idea how enormous the undertaking was you would find something that needed replacing and go to a supplier and buy a replacement, job done. Next project!

Now, older, wiser (and poorer) you realize that for the first year you never wrote down the part numbers for some of the spares you installed. Yes, all that 35 year old literature will help somewhat but from this moment on you are determined to keep an accurate record of part numbers, suppliers, costs, installation dates, etc., etc.

I'm a paper person so unless a spread sheet already exists that I can download, I'm toast. Once I have it organized I'm the type that will keep it up to date. So, what have you come up with that works like a charm????? Thanks all.
Old 22-12-2016, 12:43   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Spares, Spares, Spares

Someone elses spreadsheet full of part numbers wont be much use. Every boat is a prototype.

You have several options.

1) keep all receipts, manuals, post it notes in a shoebox.
2) diligently build a spreadsheet and maintain it
3) hire someone to maintain your vessel
4) build your own user, parts, maintenance manuals.

I chose the 4th because I've built the tools and processes for the military to do this.

I have a 350+ page ships manual that is built from a database, image library, the electronic travel and maintenance log and latex. Each piece of information is essentially a seperate file.

Whenever I update anything the ships manual automatically rebuilds a single large pdf and seperate pdfs. We also have laminated printouts of safety and mission critical info.

The pdfs are distributed on tablets, laptops, the nas, etc. They also sync to the cloud, along with the database, code and images when we have an internet connection.

I can also email changes using the ssb and pactor and git commit them to the cloud. This also allows us to order parts while in the move.

We dont duplicate stuff in parts manuals. Only the unique images, maintenance procedures, tech drawings, checklists etc.

This approach saves us a ton of time.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:50   #3

Re: Spares, Spares, Spares

I made a simple spreadsheet with all my stuff and simply update as I go. It includes all OEM stuff, too.

Item, cost, date, source, serial numbers, parts numbers and a BIG remarks column.

What's so hard?

No need to reinvent the wheel, but anything you do yourself will be much "friendlier" than some template from someone else. Like me!

File attached, feel free to use it if you want.

I also do what LBStuff does.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Inventory.xls (154.0 KB, 60 views)
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote